Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

Re: NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 am

Even The USA Today is criticizing them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/ ... r-BB1lLHJ8

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

FakeAndyStuart

Re: NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm
Uri Berliner's article apparently went over like a lead balloon over at NPR as he has been suspended.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/media/np ... index.html

I'm curious what those of you in here who supported NBC firing Ronna McDaniels think about this; specifically, those of you who thought that people who work for a media outlet should be able to publicly criticize people at the top of the outlet without consequences.
Here's what I think.. whether the "Senior Editor" at NPR is right or not, going outside the building and airing dirty laundry is not a good look for anyone. Did he do that because the people inside wouldn't listen to him? Or is he a showboat looking for attention?

The registered Democrat thing is a non story. So many races in NYC end up with no viable R candidate, if you want to actually vote on who will represent you it must be done in the primaries. That's why I hate closed primary elections. Ohio is the worst... I wanted to vote for Kasich in 2016 and I because a "registered Republican" for the next four years.

But Mr German Car, what is the comparison to the NBC situation ? It's not about the actions, but about the timing. The NPR guy didn't warn the insiders first, big mistake. NBC made NO attempt to warn the insiders what was happening.. again big mistake. Isn't it something that communication organizations have so much trouble communicating?

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:01 pm

The comparison?

The top people at NBC hired someone.
The top people at NPR, according to Uri anyways, don't hire a specific group of people (allegedly, Republicans)

Employees at NBC publicly criticized the top people at NBC for hiring a certain person.
An employee at NPR publicly criticized the top person at NPR for not hiring certain people.

So far, this is an apples to apples comparison, the only difference being that the employees at NBC used network airtime to air their grievances while the employee at NPR used a different platform.

In response to criticism,
NBC reversed course and fired the controversial person.
NPR suspended the employee who criticized the network.

You see where I'm going with this? In one instance, a network caved to criticism coming from lower-level people from within. In the other instance, the CEO got butthurt and suspended the person who criticized the network.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:18 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:01 pm
The comparison?

The top people at NBC hired someone.
The top people at NPR, according to Uri anyways, don't hire a specific group of people (allegedly, Republicans)

Employees at NBC publicly criticized the top people at NBC for hiring a certain person.
An employee at NPR publicly criticized the top person at NPR for not hiring certain people.

So far, this is an apples to apples comparison, the only difference being that the employees at NBC used network airtime to air their grievances while the employee at NPR used a different platform.

In response to criticism,
NBC reversed course and fired the controversial person.
NPR suspended the employee who criticized the network.

You see where I'm going with this? In one instance, a network caved to criticism coming from lower-level people from within. In the other instance, the CEO got butthurt and suspended the person who criticized the network.
And those responses are fundamentally different… NBC apparently allows its employees some level of dissent while NPR does not. Two different shops run two different ways. The media isn’t a monolith and there is no common set of rules all companies follow or else.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:06 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am
I completely agree with this article. I used to be one of the 26% and while I found they skewed left, I thought they made an attempt to just present the facts with as little bias as possible. I noticed them getting increasingly liberal beginning in the run up to the 2016 election. I went from a frequent NPR listener in 2012-2015 to finding it mostly unlistenable by 2021. Some of the hour-long shows are still pretty good, though.
Did they go left or did you go far right?
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic