Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Post by audiophile » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:24 pm

I agree with the author, conservatives will go duh - we already knew this.

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how- ... icas-trust

https://www.thewrap.com/npr-senior-edit ... -berliner/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Chrocket87

Re: NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am

I completely agree with this article. I used to be one of the 26% and while I found they skewed left, I thought they made an attempt to just present the facts with as little bias as possible. I noticed them getting increasingly liberal beginning in the run up to the 2016 election. I went from a frequent NPR listener in 2012-2015 to finding it mostly unlistenable by 2021. Some of the hour-long shows are still pretty good, though.

radiofann

Re: NPR Senior Editor Blasts Lack of ‘Viewpoint Diversity’ After Leftward Lurch: ‘Open-Minded Spirit No Longer Exists’

Post by radiofann » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:14 am

The interesting quote from the author of the article, after he researched this, he found everyone of the 87 employees in NPR editorial side were registered Democrats.

So much for diversity of viewpoints.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:48 am

I heard this story last week. Not surprising after I gave NPR a few-hour listen once a few months ago, just out of curiosity. The 2 hours I heard literally sounded like a Democrat party infomercial, and utterly boring. I've never heard so much left-wing propaganda crammed into a 2-hour span in my life. I don't know how even people who share their viewpoint could listen to that for any length of time without falling asleep.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 pm

I will listen to WUOM in small chunks to and from work if my first choice, 97.1 is not working for me.
Many months ago I started paying attention to how often some version of a phrase like "far right", right wing", ultra conservative", etc. was spoken versus how often a similar phrase was used to describe liberals or the left. So far I am at 412-0.
It makes me wonder if they just can't comprehend anybody as being "too far" left.
I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:10 pm

How would NPR be balanced? And I bet there are a few parts of Uri's comments that were left out.

Trump isn't "Conservative", he's sensationalistic. BMW is closer to the conservative that should exist, even if he has a few screwy ideas.

I doubt NPR would consider adding a perspective that MTG or these crazy Christian Nation types would approve. They shouldn't.

What is missing is the white financial conservative male perspective. That is hard to do and stick to a intelligent forum. I've made a point to listen to "The Middle" which is the balanced discussion program. As a moderate, it's off message and nonsensical.

It's hard to stay above the fray in this political climate.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:34 pm

NPR, as an organization, has an anti-labor bias. But I don't really hear that bias reflected in their programming.

When we're here in Florida, I listen to NPR almost exclusively. They are the least biased and most objective of all the talk radio stations in the Tampa Bay area.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:20 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 pm
I will listen to WUOM in small chunks to and from work if my first choice, 97.1 is not working for me.
Many months ago I started paying attention to how often some version of a phrase like "far right", right wing", ultra conservative", etc. was spoken versus how often a similar phrase was used to describe liberals or the left. So far I am at 412-0.
It makes me wonder if they just can't comprehend anybody as being "too far" left.
412-0 ??? Amazing.

Juan Williams gives inside scoop of his time there. He's no Conservative either.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/n ... i-BB1lE0Xz
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 am

Juan Williams is a Fox Patsy all year long.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:14 am
I completely agree with this article. I used to be one of the 26% and while I found they skewed left, I thought they made an attempt to just present the facts with as little bias as possible. I noticed them getting increasingly liberal beginning in the run up to the 2016 election. I went from a frequent NPR listener in 2012-2015 to finding it mostly unlistenable by 2021. Some of the hour-long shows are still pretty good, though.
Agree 100%. Even with a left lean, they were still listenable, compelling, and did an admirable job of being fair up to 2016. Then they, along with political hacks of both sides of the aisle, lost their goddamm minds.

I tuned in to All Things Considered last week just for shits and gigs. The first story was a breakdown of a recent Biden ad. They played snippets of the ad, with the "reporter" chiming in after each snippet to shine up the message. It was a 5 minute campaign ad disguised as news. Further into the program was a story about some people in Rwanda who were big NBA fans. Total fringe interest story and total snoozefest.

The whistleblower hit the nail on the head.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:07 pm

Whereas most stations are like cheer leaders for capitalism, NPR has only a slight pro-capitalist bias. They end each newscast with an update of the various market indexes.

They have a daily program for capitalists Marketplace. But there isn't a program for workers.

They refuse to accept financial donations from Unions, but they gladly accept contributions from Corporations and give them an on air shoutout for ther generosity,
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm

Uri Berliner's article apparently went over like a lead balloon over at NPR as he has been suspended.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/media/np ... index.html

I'm curious what those of you in here who supported NBC firing Ronna McDaniels think about this; specifically, those of you who thought that people who work for a media outlet should be able to publicly criticize people at the top of the outlet without consequences.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm

I think it’s a shame in both circumstances. I think that diversity in thought is important in media unless it wants to present as one-sided.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm
Uri Berliner's article apparently went over like a lead balloon over at NPR as he has been suspended.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/16/media/np ... index.html

I'm curious what those of you in here who supported NBC firing Ronna McDaniels think about this; specifically, those of you who thought that people who work for a media outlet should be able to publicly criticize people at the top of the outlet without consequences.
Easy… clearly there is a different culture and different standards at both places because they are different companies. Looks like pretty standard business moves to me.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:48 pm

I think NPR should look at Uri's editorial. They have an ombudsman and having a variety of perspectives is healthy.

He was suspended for a few days, but I hope the message isn't lost.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic