Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Florida bans children 13 and under from having social media accounts

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Florida bans children 13 and under from having social media accounts

Post by bmw » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:05 am

...and children age 14 and 15 require parental permission.

I despise smart phones and what they're doing to society - particularly to our children. But I blame the technology itself more than I do social media. The meat of the bill that defines social media reads as follows:
"Social media platform" means an online forum, website, or application that satisfies each of the following criteria:

1. Allows users to upload content or view the content or activity of other users;

2. Ten percent or more of the daily active users who are younger than 16 years of age spend on average 2 hours per day or longer on the online forum, website, or application on the days when using the online forum, website, or application during the previous 12 months or, if the online forum, website, or application did not exist during the previous 12 months, during the previous month;

3. Employs algorithms that analyze user data or information on users to select content for users; and

4. Has any of the following addictive features:

a. Infinite scrolling, which means either:
(I) Continuously loading content, or content that loads as the user scrolls down the page without the need to open a separate page; or
(II) Seamless content, or the use of pages with no visible or apparent end or page breaks.

b. Push notifications or alerts sent by the online forum, website, or application to inform a user about specific activities or events related to the user's account.

c. Displays personal interactive metrics that indicate the number of times other users have clicked a button to indicate their reaction to content or have shared or reposted the content.

d. Auto-play video or video that begins to play without the user first clicking on the video or on a play button for that video.

e. Live-streaming or a function that allows a user or advertiser to broadcast live video content in real-time.
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2 ... ext/er/PDF

As much as parents today suck at being parents, this is absolutely not the role of government at any level to regulate. Also, that list of things that constitutes "social media" seems rather arbitrary and could easily be outdated in 5-10 years as technology advances.

Not to mention, having restrictions like this at the state level is a nightmare for a website owner who has to cater to the laws of 50 individual states. Youtube, for example, will now have to ban 14 year-olds who live in Florida from having a youtube account.

TC Talks

Re: Florida bans children 13 and under from having social media accounts

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:31 am

Welcome to a new knee jerk political response with no possible way to enforce. How many years in prison would a 10 year old get for being on Tik Tok?

FWIW, I don't think 13 Y. O.'s belong on social media, but this isn't a practical response.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:45 am

Government overreach at it's best at being worst.

Taco

Post by Taco » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:39 pm

Tik Tok is nothing but trashy smut with low self esteem women and girls being slutty.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:32 am

Taco wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:39 pm
Tik Tok is nothing but trashy smut with low self esteem women and girls being slutty.
Huh, Ben Zonia should check it out...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic