Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw
Posts: 6952
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:19 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am
...as long as they don't harm anyone else...
I've said many times before in here that I'm a firm believer in the harm principle - that is, that the government has no business curbing your behavior so long as your actions don't harm others.

Except that the word "harm" can be either narrowly or broadly defined to suit one's own political beliefs. Just one example - alcohol is perfectly legal to consume if you're over 21. And there's no prohibition or limitation on said consumption even if you're married and have young children. Are you going to suggest that a father who is drunk all the time, even if he's not physically abusive, is not causing some amount of harm to his spouse and to his children with his behavior?

How about cheating on your spouse? Does that cause harm to your spouse?

Seatbelts are another example, as are motorcycle helmets. The argument against rules requiring those things is that if you die in an accident, you're only harming yourself. Is that really true though? Does your death cause harm to others, such as your family and friends?

I could go on, and on, and on. It isn't as simple "I'll ingest whatever I want because I'm only hurting myself, so leave me the hell alone." Maybe if you're a hermit with no friends or family that might be true. But that's not true of most people.

So where I come down on this is, if a solid majority of society deems something to be detrimental to society as a whole, then the government has a role. But even then, it needs to be done with a balancing test of your rights as an individual and whether those outweigh the rights of society as a whole. I wold argue that your right to be drunk or high in public doesn't necessarily outweigh the right of society to interact with a sober public. Recent attitudes towards drugs have shifted drastically, and that is concerning to me.



zzand
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by zzand » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am

You are the poll junkie here, two recent polls show the majority of us want it legal. The laws against pot are outdated and need to be done away with. As for seat belts, don't wear them and get in an accident, as long as no one else is hurt you pay the price which I am fine with, same with bike helmets. Cheating is a moral issue so apples to oranges. Drug attitudes are changing because younger generations are seeing things differently. Good or bad it is the future so get used to it.

bmw
Posts: 6952
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:02 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am

I'm just giving you my personal opinion - you don't have to be an apprehensive ass about it. I acknowledged in my post above that attitudes are changing - I said that I personally find that concerning, and to clarify, the reason I find it concerning is because I view an increased demand for being high as a symptom of other underlying problems in society. Why it is exactly that you believe younger generations are more embracing of legalizing mind-altering substances?

User avatar
Rate This
Posts: 14271
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:17 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by Rate This » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:01 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am
I'm just giving you my personal opinion - you don't have to be an apprehensive ass about it. I acknowledged in my post above that attitudes are changing - I said that I personally find that concerning, and to clarify, the reason I find it concerning is because I view an increased demand for being high as a symptom of other underlying problems in society. Why it is exactly that you believe younger generations are more embracing of legalizing mind-altering substances?
Because to be able to get ahead in society everything is cut throat and people are expected to get a good job that pays well and to do this and that and the other thing and some people are simply not built to take pressure in that way so they need an outlet and off they go. Then they are treated as criminals and weak people after that. A lot of people in this country are mentally struggling and our societies very northwestern European attitude “tough luck buddy you figure it out!” isn’t very helpful.

User avatar
Honeyman
Posts: 5995
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by Honeyman » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:08 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:14 am
Chrocket87 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm
If you’re ever in Amsterdam, splurge for the Indonesian food. It’s outstanding.
We did Nepali on Saturday, it was outstanding. https://theyeti.nl/
Yes, I made a quick jaunt to Iceland for the weekend on my lear jet. Dined here: https://krost.is/

See how easy that is?
The censorship king from out of state.

zzand
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am
Location: right here

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by zzand » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:12 am

Exactly Rate This. The same people looking down their nose at those who use edibles or smoke a joint are themselves drinking their booze or beer and getting wasted and because it is legal they feel superior to those who use pot. Hypocrites, every damn one of them. The same question can be asked of the person who has two mixed drinks or beers after work, do they really need it? Nope, they want it. Wasn't being an ass, just laying out my thinking as you asked. If it was legal in my state I would be using it instead of swallowing 210 pain pills a month.

User avatar
Ben Zonia
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:35 pm
Location: Honor

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:19 pm

zzand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am
That should not even be a question. What people do or do not want to ingest and why is their business and no one else as long as they don't harm anyone else.
Secondhand marijuana smoke is harmful to others. Plus it's annoying to people around you. Strange that on many college campuses, you can get away with smoking dope but not tobacco.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Round Six
Posts: 1101
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:02 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:17 pm

I was going to stay out of this but gotta say. I don't quite being so passionate about it one way or the other. People so against it yet enjoy more than a sip or two of adult beverages. I'll be the first to say it's detrimental for anyone in school. But so is beer and Mad Dog 20/20. No plans to get rid of those.

We're not talking about drugs you have to cook in a lab. I can grow weed in a Dixie cup on the window sill. Pick your battles.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 10550
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:59 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:19 pm
zzand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:01 am
That should not even be a question. What people do or do not want to ingest and why is their business and no one else as long as they don't harm anyone else.
Secondhand marijuana smoke is harmful to others. Plus it's annoying to people around you. Strange that on many college campuses, you can get away with smoking dope but not tobacco.
It's a grand conspiracy. If you truly live in Honor, you must appreciate all the new revenue from the Pot taxes... That entire county smells like the reefer.
Last edited by TC Talks on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 10550
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: In The Vast Majority Of The World, Marijuana Is Illegal

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:00 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:08 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:14 am
Chrocket87 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:21 pm
If you’re ever in Amsterdam, splurge for the Indonesian food. It’s outstanding.
We did Nepali on Saturday, it was outstanding. https://theyeti.nl/
Yes, I made a quick jaunt to Iceland for the weekend on my lear jet. Dined here: https://krost.is/

See how easy that is?
I wasn't addressing you, go watch some sports.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic