Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

As I predicted 4 years ago - more fallout from Covid-related school closings

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

As I predicted 4 years ago - more fallout from Covid-related school closings

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:52 am

A lengthy article, posted in of all places the New York Times, talking about how much school absences have risen post-covid. The short version is, chronic absenteeism is up from 15% pre-Covid to 26% today.
What is going on here? I spoke with school leaders, counselors, researchers and parents. They offered many reasons for the absences: illness, mental health, transportation problems. But underlying it all is a fundamental shift in the value that families place on school, and in the culture of education during the pandemic.

“Our relationship with school became optional,” said Katie Rosanbalm, a psychologist and associate research professor at Duke University.
The share of students missing many days of school helps explain why U.S. students, overall, are nowhere close to making up their learning losses from the pandemic. Students who are behind academically may resist going to school, but missing school also sets them further back. These effects are especially pernicious for low-income students, who lost more ground during the pandemic and who are more negatively affected by chronic absence.
non-paywall link - https://archive.is/6YVKZ

BUT, BUT....we were just trying to SaVe LiVEs!!!!! Except anybody with a half of a functioning brain could have figured out early on that closing schools did literally nothing to save anybody's life, outside of maybe reducing vehicle-related fatalities. But instead those without half-functioning brains made major decisions that will set us back decades.

Colonel Flagg

Re: As I predicted 4 years ago - more fallout from Covid-related school closings

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 pm

I agree with all of that.

Those responsible are dangerous fruitcakes, who look upon the possible consequences of their actions with depraved indifference.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Round Six

Re: As I predicted 4 years ago - more fallout from Covid-related school closings

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:29 am

I'll get flamed for saying this. Yes kids are getting behind. It's not that the kids are dumber. From what I'm seeing, just not much is getting taught every day. Fairly easy for a student to take a day or two off, and catch up on what they missed.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:07 am

Conservatives want kids with poor education to work in their factories. Why do you think Betsy DeVos wants to close public schools?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:52 am
BUT, BUT....we were just trying to SaVe LiVEs!!!!! Except anybody with a half of a functioning brain could have figured out early on that closing schools did literally nothing to save anybody's life, outside of maybe reducing vehicle-related fatalities. But instead those without half-functioning brains made major decisions that will set us back decades.
Didn't your parents have a very hard time with COVID?

As much fun as it is watching you blame the world's woes on the pandemic, it's not as you believe. The Dutch created a word just for deniers... Döncé
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:21 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:07 am
Conservatives want kids with poor education to work in their factories. Why do you think Betsy DeVos wants to close public schools?
Because they do a pretty shitty job at what they're supposed to do.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:32 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:21 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:07 am
Because they do a pretty shitty job at what they're supposed to do.
Well ... Like I said in my previous post in this thread. Something has happened since the kids went back. The teaching pace is slower. And that downshift seems to be all the teachers I know. Before the lockdowns, 3 or 4 different topics were covered. Now it's like "Today is math and tomorrow is writing".
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:32 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 am
My mom did. My dad's case was mild. Though as rough of a time as my mom had with it, about 2 months after she first contracted it, she had recovered 100% with no lingering symptoms whatsoever. But that has nothing to do with the shutting down of schools.
TC Talks wrote:
As much fun as it is watching you blame the world's woes on the pandemic, it's not as you believe.
Your reading comprehension skills can't possibly be as bad as you continue to demonstrate them to be every time you respond to anything I say. I'm not now nor never have I ever blamed any of the world's woes on the pandemic. I have criticized our response to it and have blamed many things on said response.

And since you're such a self-proclaimed genius (just like Wile E. Coyote), why don't you explain why, if not our response to the pandemic, then why school absentee rates magically nearly doubled right after schools re-opened and continue to remain way higher than pre-Covid?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:32 pm
TC Talks wrote:
My mom did. My dad's case was mild. Though as rough of a time as my mom had with it, about 2 months after she first contracted it, she had recovered 100% with no lingering symptoms whatsoever. But that has nothing to do with the shutting down of schools.
TC Talks wrote:
As much fun as it is watching you blame the world's woes on the pandemic, it's not as you believe.
Your reading comprehension skills can't possibly be as bad as you continue to demonstrate them to be every time you respond to anything I say. I'm not now nor never have I ever blamed any of the world's woes on the pandemic. I have criticized our response to it and have blamed many things on said response.

And since you're such a self-proclaimed genius (just like Wile E. Coyote), why don't you explain why, if not our response to the pandemic, then why school absentee rates magically nearly doubled right after schools re-opened and continue to remain way higher than pre-Covid?
Good for you. My dad still has long COVID with heart issues.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:11 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm
Out of curiosity, was he vaccinated?

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:11 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:34 pm
Out of curiosity, was he vaccinated?
The issues started before he was vaxxed.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:32 pm
Do you want to know why I'm not concerned? Kids are doing better...

What's the most important metric?
LANSING – Test scores for the spring 2023 M-STEP state assessments increased in all tested grades in science and social studies; in six of the seven tested grades in math; and three grades in English language arts (ELA), the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) reported today.

These data follow the 2022 statewide test results where a majority of Michigan school districts showed improvement over the previous year’s results.

“We continue to be encouraged by the gradual improvements in student achievement,” said State Superintendent Dr. Michael Rice. “Though the 2022-23 school year was far from normal, given persistent staffing challenges and residual adverse impact of the pandemic, it was the most stable school year of the last four. Michigan’s educators worked hard to help students continue to rebound and to increase their learning.”

And I bet they improve again.
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:43 pm

M-Step scores are BARELY up this past year. I picked a random grade (6th) and proficiency rates are at 29% in math and 38% in English. Let me repeat those numbers. TWENTY NINE PERCENT of sixth graders who attend a public school are proficient at math and THIRTY EIGHT PERCENT are proficient at English.

If that isn't evidence that our public school system is in shambles, I don't know what is.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:56 pm
And I bet they improve again.
At the rate they're improving, it'll be at least 10 years before those scores get back to pre-Covid levels, if ever. That's an entire K-12 generation of students.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:57 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:43 pm
M-Step scores are BARELY up this past year. I picked a random grade (6th) and proficiency rates are at 29% in math and 38% in English. Let me repeat those numbers. TWENTY NINE PERCENT of sixth graders who attend a public school are proficient at math and THIRTY EIGHT PERCENT are proficient at English.

If that isn't evidence that our public school system is in shambles, I don't know what is.

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/con ... 122847007/

Ann Arbor Public Schools is facing a 24-25 $25M deficit that was recently discovered related to cash reserve requirements. It is potentially on the brink of being assigned an emergency manager. If THAT doesn't tell you all you need to know about bad covid school board behavior, I don't think you are living in reality.

The author addresses the free technology, which seems unnecessary, but I was shocked to find that the district provides school supplies to all students. Those seem like low hanging fruits to me. Additionally, AAPS needs to look long and hard at the three high schools and determine if they are all still needed.

I have a kindergartener and I'd be happy to contribute to a modified model where supplies are funded by parents so there isn't a stigma for the kids whose parents don't have the same means as others. The childcare fiasco is another issue that needs to be addressed - all AAPS elementary schools should have access to before and after care, as existed pre-pandemic.

Finally, the school board fired the superintendent that had been in place since 2013 at the beginning of this school year and put the #2 in charge as an interim. They then contracted with a national search firm and came up with six finalists, including the interim. When the budget shortfall was announced, they decided to stop the search and name the interim the permanent superintendent.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic