Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gen Z ignoring hack Dave Ramsey

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Gen Z ignoring hack Dave Ramsey

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:34 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:31 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:03 pm
If I can average an 8 to 12 percent average yield per annum investing in ETFs or mutual funds(an S&P 500 index fund, for example, is a great idea for a long-term investment).
I did alright last year, on my investment in TQQQ (triple NASDAQ average). Added to what I made already this year, my $3615 to start the year last year now has a value of about $13,000 (most of which I sold 2 weeks ago and have as cash sitting in my account). Not sure what my actual APY was last year but it was well over 100 percent.

Currently waiting for a pullback to get back in.
Your results are similar to how my year went on the investments tied to index. I read the straight NASDAQ funds returned 16%. My son is really dialed into high yield funds and his decisions have been amazing.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:37 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:13 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:05 pm
Most people are not paying off their card’s every month…
I have one lone credit card with a $750 credit limit that I use for gas and groceries. I've paid the balance in full every month for a good 10 years now.
I don’t think you would count as a part of the Trillion or so in consumer debt… I would understand that to mean debts longer than a single balance cycle.

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:37 pm

Ramsey is a jagoff, always has been. How he ever got popular I'll never know.

Yes, if you buy stuff you can't afford you deserve to drown in debt. Doesn't mean EVERYBODY should eat ramen for dinner every day and drive around in a '87 Ciera. Treats help you get through the grind of life.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:44 pm

There's a big difference between driving an '87 Ciera and eating Ramen for dinner every day vs driving something made between 2016 and 2020 and not spending hundreds of dollars every week on various convenience food and fine dining items. The problem is how many people live well, well beyond their means and don't want to sacrifice anything, such as the 31-year-old discussed in the original post.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:44 pm
There's a big difference between driving an '87 Ciera and eating Ramen for dinner every day vs driving something made between 2016 and 2020 and not spending hundreds of dollars every week on various convenience food and fine dining items. The problem is how many people live well, well beyond their means and don't want to sacrifice anything, such as the 31-year-old discussed in the original post.
That’s what the wonderful world of credit brought us. Buy now pay later… or never.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:05 pm

bmw wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
If I can average an 8 to 12 percent average yield per annum investing in ETFs or mutual funds(an S&P 500 index fund, for example, is a great idea for a long-term investment).
I did alright last year, on my investment in TQQQ (triple NASDAQ average). Added to what I made already this year, my $3615 to start the year last year now has a value of about $13,000 (most of which I sold 2 weeks ago and have as cash sitting in my account). Not sure what my actual APY was last year but it was well over 100 percent.

Congrats, and smart move!
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:10 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:34 pm
bmw wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Your results are similar to how my year went on the investments tied to index. I read the straight NASDAQ funds returned 16%. My son is really dialed into high yield funds and his decisions have been amazing.
QQQ returned nearly 55 percent in 2023. Not sure what your 16 percent figure represents. The NASDAQ composite index itself rose about 43 percent.

2022 was a terrible year for tech stocks, of course. So, trailing 3-year return is not so hot.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:10 pm
2022 was a terrible year for tech stocks, of course.
And that's the part I left out. I had about $9,000 or so starting out the year 2022. Down to $3500 at rock bottom. Then back up to $13,000.

Triple-leveraged ETF's are certainly not for the faint of heart.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:28 pm

I saw this in the WSJ. Debt is slavery plain and simple, and few young people are taught this. Because humans don't do well in the elements, carrying a mortgage is often unavoidable for first time buyers.

There was a great article also in the WSJ about cutting your expenses by carrying large bills. It was brilliant to me, first it is a hassle to get large bills and second it is a hassle to spend them. Adding to that is the psychological belief that to break a $100 bill is to wreck it, and the hesitation to break it for a small purchase. Carry a few large bills over a buch of twenties and fives, and you will probably spend less.

I don't care for Ramsey, but he did sellout the arena in Grand Rapids when he was touring the country.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:14 pm

I will say I do not view Ramsey as a "hack". I simply am not an adherent to some of the philosophies he preaches.

He definitely is well versed on topics of personal financial management. I watched a YouTube video where he sparred with a seller of annuities aimed toward those in or near retirement, and it was a rather fascinating segment. A lot of "inside baseball" stuff.

Know who actually is a complete hack? Suze Orman. WTVS likes to air that bug eyed over-caffeinated bitch's seminars during its fundraising campaigns. If CPB tax dollars are being sent her way, that is unfortunate.

https://www.gq.com/story/suze-orman-personal-finance

https://www.goodfinancialcents.com/suze ... ad-advice/

radiofann

Post by radiofann » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:11 pm

If you Google “Dave Ramsay controversy” you will see he gets in a lot of legal trouble compared to the average talk show advice host. It’s been years since I listened to him.

He failed to impress me years ago when he said college 529 plans were not worth it. My own experience was that they’re a great tool.

As far as Gen Z whining about finances, I will refer mibuzz-boarders to the archives of talknets Bruce Williams on YouTube, some 50 episodes 3 hrs each.

He often would ask someone in a similar situation, burdened with $10,000 of debt, or with a savings goal, he would ask the caller “what are you doing evenings when you’re not working?” “What are you doing weekends”…. And lead them to understanding the necessity of working two or more jobs to meet goals or to clear debt. He advises them there is lots of flexible jobs out there, driving cabs, deliver newspapers, groceries, etc.

When they respond with some excuse why they can’t , he retorts “why not, you’re talking to someone who worked three jobs, finished college degree and raised kids at the same time”

He’d challenge them with “what’s your wife doing evenings when the kids are sleeping” and urge them to get the spouse working as well to bring in income.

He served in Korea war also, started many businesses, was mayor of a small town, he had a wealth of real,life experience to lend advice which is why his show was high rated for that time period (in the 80s 90s he was on evenings WXYT.

Anyone else remember the good old days of talknet.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:19 pm

Absolutely. WOOD 1300 aired his program for years.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:02 pm

If there was a president Ramsey, he would ban credit cards. Credit cards actually build credit for people to purchase houses. Scream with me “I am Dave Ramsey freeeeeeee!”
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:59 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:02 pm
If there was a president Ramsey, he would ban credit cards. Credit cards actually build credit for people to purchase houses. Scream with me “I am Dave Ramsey freeeeeeee!”
I don't know if he would ban them or not, but you are absolutely right that establishment of a (good) personal credit history is important for being able to get pre-approved for a mortgage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:14 am

Ramsey's advice is obviously for those with no self-control, IE: Pay off your smallest debt first, to gain a "victory". Notice he did not say pay off the one with the highest interest first, this for those with no self-control because they will give up without the small victory. The tik-tok person personifies this "it's futile" mentality, so Ramsey's advice makes sense when viewed in that light.

I have only bought one new car in decades of driving, because the used car market for a certain model was too high at the time. I violated Dave's rule, but fuel savings alone paid for the car change many times over. For those with self control, there is more advanced decisions to be made.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic