Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Colorado Boots Trump Off The Ballot

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Colorado Boots Trump Off The Ballot

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:20 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:18 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm
When even Justices Sotomayor and Jackson agree that something done to Trump is bullshit, you know it is utter bullshit.
The victimhood for those of you in the #AlwaysTrump camp is strong.
What part of even-the-most-liberal-justices-on-the-court agree that states cannot do what they did is it that you're having trouble comprehending? This has nothing to do with "victimhood" and everything to do with Constitutional rights.
You used the term "utter bullshit" to describe action being taken against Trump for him actively trying to overturn the election. Most of us view his actions as "utter bullshit."

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:47 pm

I agree with The Supremes that it's not in a state's power to impeach using the US Constitution.

I just read an article on NBC New's website saying states retain the power to bar people running for state office from appearing on the ballot under Section 3.

Looking at my first two paragraphs here, don't they contradict each other? Seems from what The Supremes have decreed, only Congress can use the 14th Amendment to impeach.
Last edited by Round Six on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:49 pm

Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 pm
You used the term "utter bullshit" to describe action being taken against Trump for him actively trying to overturn the election. Most of us view his actions as "utter bullshit."
I used the term "utter bullshit" to describe the action of a state asserting authority it does not have under the Constitution.

So in your view, the ends justify the means? F--k the Constitution?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:33 pm

I honestly wonder if these games the Supremes' are playing isn't more about making sure there's a Republican President in place so their replacements will be from the GOP. I don't thinks it's a big secret Thomas and/or Gorsuch and Alito want to retire, just not enough to do so while there's a Democrat in the White House. Given the suspect ethics involved with the S.C. these days I don't see any of them not putting their thumb on the scale to make that happen. (Oh, by the way, did we ever get to the bottom of who leaked the Roe v. Wade opinion early? I rest my case)

Obama's greatest error was not demanding RGB to step down before his term expired. Don't think the GOP didn't take note of that. I think most of this is just a few justices making certain there's an exit plan in place to get out of Dodge while maintaining the illusion of integrity. Otherwise they'll be stuck in place for at least four more years if not longer.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:17 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:33 pm
I honestly wonder if these games the Supremes' are playing isn't more about making sure there's a Republican President in place so their replacements will be from the GOP. I don't thinks it's a big secret Thomas and/or Gorsuch and Alito want to retire, just not enough to do so while there's a Democrat in the White House. Given the suspect ethics involved with the S.C. these days I don't see any of them not putting their thumb on the scale to make that happen. (Oh, by the way, did we ever get to the bottom of who leaked the Roe v. Wade opinion early? I rest my case)

Obama's greatest error was not demanding RGB to step down before his term expired. Don't think the GOP didn't take note of that. I think most of this is just a few justices making certain there's an exit plan in place to get out of Dodge while maintaining the illusion of integrity. Otherwise they'll be stuck in place for at least four more years if not longer.
So the 3 liberal justices on the Court want a Republican President? Is that what you're suggesting here?

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:23 pm

Gorsuch is 56 - I highly doubt he's thinking of retiring.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:49 pm
Matt wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 pm
I used the term "utter bullshit" to describe the action of a state asserting authority it does not have under the Constitution.

So in your view, the ends justify the means? F--k the Constitution?
Actually each state should have the final word on who is on its ballot. That’s the way this is supposed to work. The court punted this hot hot potato to congress.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:40 pm
Actually each state should have the final word on who is on its ballot. That’s the way this is supposed to work. The court punted this hot hot potato to congress.
You're right. The state is the one holding the election. Don't blame The Supremes here. They didn't say the state can't keep someone off a ballot. They just said they can't use the 14th Amendment to do it.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:48 pm

Round Six wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:41 pm
Rate This wrote:
You're right. The state is the one holding the election. Don't blame The Supremes here. They didn't say the state can't keep someone off a ballot. They just said they can't use the 14th Amendment to do it.
Not unless congress specifically passes something invoking the 14th.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:39 am

Something to ponder. The SCOTUS ruling only talks about the insurrection clause. So that means if states come up with a legal reason to keep a candidate off the ballot they can do so.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:18 am

Rate This wrote:
I would disagree with respect to POTUS. The possible problems no matter how remote should be avoided.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:26 am

Rate This wrote:

So let me get this straight. In your world, each state should have the final say on who is on the ballot for a federal election. But, each state shouldn't have the final say on abortion law?
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:06 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:26 am
Rate This wrote:

So let me get this straight. In your world, each state should have the final say on who is on the ballot for a federal election. But, each state shouldn't have the final say on abortion law?
Right.
Abortion laws were state by state before Roe vs. Wade.

Folks want to wah-wah that the Supremes made abortion legal. No they didn't. What The Nine decided was that the highest court should of never heard the case in the first place. And put the decision right back where it was 50 years ago.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 pm

States should have the abortion issue and who can and cannot be on the ballot. State and federal. There would have to be strict guidelines but it should be up to the state since they run the election.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic