Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

SCOTUS puts conservatives in a corner again.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

Re: SCOTUS puts conservatives in a corner again.

Post by zzand » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:55 pm

This will be a very unpopular opinion but in my view the people who took out student loans signed a contract therefore they must repay according to the terms of the contract. You don't want to repay your loan don't take out a loan. If I sign alone contract on a new vehicle, a house, or anything I am supposed to pay for it and not ask the government to make it go away. This ruling was right

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:58 pm

zzand wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:55 pm
This will be a very unpopular opinion but in my view the people who took out student loans signed a contract therefore they must repay according to the terms of the contract. You don't want to repay your loan don't take out a loan. If I sign alone contract on a new vehicle, a house, or anything I am supposed to pay for it and not ask the government to make it go away. This ruling was right
I agree.
The censorship king from out of state.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:16 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:58 pm
zzand wrote:
I agree.
What's going on? :blink

I agree too! :D
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:30 pm

zzand wrote:
I also agree, and Community and Trade Colleges should be free so they won't need to go into debt to help our economy. That idea will also be fought tooth and nail by the DeVos family.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:46 pm

I think if ANY of the past loan debt was going to be "forgiven", it should have been HALF of the total. The other half should have still been paid by the loanee, but the proceeds should have gone to all those folks who DID already pay their loans off or NEVER took loans in the first place!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm

zzand wrote:
How about we revisit the concept of an 18-22 year old who may or may not work presently taking out $100,000 in loans with no idea the gravity of that decision. And the suckering in of people with the PROMISE of a good job. College isn’t sold as a tool… it’s sold as a gateway… a key… there’s a lot wrong with them getting to the point they have such massive debts in the first place. Some number of these people aren’t gonna make it… some number shouldn’t even be trying, many don’t know what they are gonna do with their lives and figure it out halfway through and take 2 or more extra years… I mean… yikes.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:40 pm

Either you're an adult at 18 and legally responsible for the decisions you make in life or you're not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:32 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:40 pm
Either you're an adult at 18 and legally responsible for the decisions you make in life or you're not.
And I’m saying I don’t think many people are ready at 18… which is an arbitrary number… perhaps there should be some sort of supervised half-way period while one establishes one’s life until 24 when the brain is fully developed? A lot of people fuck up stupendously between 18 and 24 and you can’t exactly fall back on the people around them to see and make better decisions…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 pm

So, were the recipients of the generous, bank bailouts all under 18?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:42 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:09 pm
I'd like an explanation why Roberts said military academies could be exempt from the ruling.

I also think it reinforces what a trash fuck Clarence Thomas is by not recusing himself from the vote despite his wife's involvement in anti affirmative action causes.
Valid points....I'd like to hear Roberts reasoning on that as well....

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:45 pm

Oh boy.....
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:45 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 pm
So, were the recipients of the generous, bank bailouts all under 18?
Couple of things: First, don't assume that I or other conservatives supported the bank bailouts.

Second: The bank bailouts are perfectly legal as they came as a result of an act of Congress (Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008). The student loan bailouts are not legal as they came as a result of a unilateral action from the executive branch. Everything Biden wants to do with student loans could be legally done through Congress.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:57 am

Nancy Pelosi -July 28, 2021:
People think that the President of the United States has the power for debt forgiveness. He does not. He can postpone. He can delay. But he does not have that power. That has to be an act of Congress. And I don't even like to call it forgiveness because that implies a transgression. It's not to be forgiven, just freeing people from those obligations.

So, the question of who gets forgiven – to use the term of art that is out there – is a debate. Do we use whatever money there is for the broadest base of support of the, those with – more people with even less debt, or fewer people with more debt? That's a policy discussion.

But the difference between the President – the President can't do it. So that's not even a discussion. Not everybody realizes that. But the President can only postpone, delay, but not forgive.
https://archive.ph/xCDHb

Nancy Pelosi yesterday:
“Today, the Republican supermajority on the Supreme Court cruelly denied more than 40 million Americans deeply needed student debt relief. In doing so, the Court allows a crisis of debt to continue holding back families from buying homes, starting businesses and making ends meet.

“Wrongly, the Majority Opinion in this case ignores the convincing arguments on the President’s legal authority that were made in the last year by the Department of Education and by former House Education Committee Chairman George Miller.

“President Biden is to be commended for his action to ease the student loan burden, which disproportionately harms women and people of color. Energized by our commitment to equity, justice and opportunity, the fight is not over.”
https://pelosi.house.gov/news/press-rel ... t%20relief.

Yeah, I'm sure it was 2 department chairmen's "convincing arguments on the President's legal authority" that got her to change her mind :roll:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:14 am

Those with the capacity to repay should do precisely that. The blanket bailout sought by Biden amounted to nothing more than an attempt at buying votes. It was a disgusting proposal, frankly.

The federal student loan program already has forbearance and other programs available for borrowers incurring financial difficulty.

Those who are medium to high earners should not be entitled to full debt cancellation.

As a sidebar, cancelled debt is generally considered income and is taxable. Did Biden seek to waive income tax liability as well? If not, had his program moved forward, many folks likely would've been stuck with large income tax bills that they may not have expected.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:45 am

Back on the wedding designer one for a hot second… the supposed request that sparked this was by all appearances a fake. The man cited in the case has been married to a woman for 15 years and never contacted this web designer. So they may have made the whole thing up.

If so… that’s wild.

The other thing is… isn’t it bad business to mix religion or politics with your business practices? The whole idea is to not offend as many people as possible because then you maximize your profits. Nobody said you had to agree but the content shouldn’t matter per se…

https://apple.news/ADNtJ7haEQ0iexMdXmTWWfA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic