Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DeSantis chases away 2000 jobs and a billion dollar investment

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

DeSantis chases away 2000 jobs and a billion dollar investment

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 18, 2023 5:21 pm

Ron certainly knows how to screw the political pooch. Slice it any way you choose, he attacked a long time Florida business. This should play well in the polls.
LAKE BUENA VISTA — The Walt Disney Co. announced Thursday that it was scrapping plans to build a new campus in central Florida and relocate 2,000 employees from Southern California to work in digital technology, finance and product development.
The decision follows a year of attacks from Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Legislature, with Disney filing a First Amendment lawsuit against him and other officials last month.
Disney had planned to build the campus about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from the giant Walt Disney World theme park resort, but Josh D’Amaro, chairman of the parks, experiences and products division, said in a memo to employees that “new leadership and changing business conditions” prompted the company to abandon those plans.

“I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business,” D’Amaro said. “We have plans to invest $17 billion and create 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. I hope we’re able to do so.”
The governor’s office didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment about the announcement.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Re: DeSantis chases away 2000 jobs and a billion dollar investment

Post by Matt » Thu May 18, 2023 5:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:21 pm
Ron certainly knows how to screw the political pooch. Slice it any way you choose, he attacked a long time Florida business. This should play well in the polls.
LAKE BUENA VISTA — The Walt Disney Co. announced Thursday that it was scrapping plans to build a new campus in central Florida and relocate 2,000 employees from Southern California to work in digital technology, finance and product development.
The decision follows a year of attacks from Gov. Ron DeSantis and the Legislature, with Disney filing a First Amendment lawsuit against him and other officials last month.
Disney had planned to build the campus about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from the giant Walt Disney World theme park resort, but Josh D’Amaro, chairman of the parks, experiences and products division, said in a memo to employees that “new leadership and changing business conditions” prompted the company to abandon those plans.

“I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business,” D’Amaro said. “We have plans to invest $17 billion and create 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. I hope we’re able to do so.”
The governor’s office didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking comment about the announcement.
What a dishonest title...

Disney decided to not RELOCATE 2,000 people to Florida. That isn't chasing away jobs. Florida has grown by leaps and bounds as people flee dem states. While DeSantis' fight with Disney is silly and unnecessary, you can't deny how well Florida is doing under his leadership.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 18, 2023 5:31 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:21 pm

What a dishonest title...

Disney decided to not RELOCATE 2,000 people to Florida. That isn't chasing away jobs. Florida has grown by leaps and bounds as people flee dem states. While DeSantis' fight with Disney is silly and unnecessary, you can't deny how well Florida is doing under his leadership.
Read the article
https://archive.ph/wWg30

This is directly related to his political attacks on Disney. That was their only reason to pull the plug on this investment. Do go BMW on us.

Maybe he can replace this with the Qnon World Headquarters
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 18, 2023 5:53 pm

I'm not denying that the Disney shit is unnecessary, but Florida is doing exceptionally well.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 18, 2023 6:08 pm

But how does this play in a national election campaign?

Can't see any Fortune 500 money heading his way now.
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 18, 2023 7:51 pm

If DeSantis is the guy, I'm pretty happy...
“You have basically three people at this point that are credible in this whole thing,” Mr. DeSantis told donors on the call, organized by the super PAC supporting him, Never Back Down. “Biden, Trump and me. And I think of those three, two have a chance to get elected president — Biden and me, based on all the data in the swing states, which is not great for the former president and probably insurmountable because people aren’t going to change their view of him.”

The call, to which a New York Times reporter listened, came as the governor is expected to officially enter the presidential race next week, according to three people familiar with his intentions.
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 18, 2023 8:15 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:53 pm
I'm not denying that the Disney shit is unnecessary, but Florida is doing exceptionally well.
Florida is warm… that is a massive part of it. Have you seen the Florida Man stuff? I wouldn’t sign my enemy up to live there.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu May 18, 2023 8:29 pm

I mean....when I was in Orlando last week, it was hard to justify coming back to a place that has 10 degree temperatures and 4 feet of snow..........
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 18, 2023 8:41 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:29 pm
I mean....when I was in Orlando last week, it was hard to justify coming back to a place that has 10 degree temperatures and 4 feet of snow..........
I’ve yet to find a place I like better… they are all the same to me… different. Florida was the most similar of the states east of the Mississippi… I’ve yet to go west of it.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu May 18, 2023 9:34 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
I agree. I had to come back to Detroit briefly during one of those bitter cold snaps. I didn't stay long. Winter Park is beautiful. Picture Birmingham and Bloomfield with palm trees...I just need a moat around our place, filled with alligators, to keep the relatives away. :rollin

As for Disney, and bringing people in from California, no thanks. The people from New York are good enough.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 18, 2023 9:48 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:34 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I agree. I had to come back to Detroit briefly during one of those bitter cold snaps. I didn't stay long. Winter Park is beautiful. Picture Birmingham and Bloomfield with palm trees...I just need a moat around our place, filled with alligators, to keep the relatives away. :rollin

As for Disney, and bringing people in from California, no thanks. The people from New York are good enough.
Ah yes, white suburban hell. Run with the dogs tonight in suburbia.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 19, 2023 4:24 am

If people are moving to Florida largely because of its warm weather, then why did California's population shrink by more than 500,000 people between mid-2020 and mid-2022? Most of California's population centers are near the ocean, and that is the most temperate weather you'll find anywhere in the country.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 19, 2023 5:44 am

bmw wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:24 am
If people are moving to Florida largely because of its warm weather, then why did California's population shrink by more than 500,000 people between mid-2020 and mid-2022? Most of California's population centers are near the ocean, and that is the most temperate weather you'll find anywhere in the country.
Northern California can be cold… 80 all year and sunny in Orlando or fog and 63 while eating rice-a-roni on a cable car in San Francisco?

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 19, 2023 9:06 am

While what constitutes "good" weather is subjective, every list I can find using Google that ranks states by their overall weather ranks California #1, Hawaii #2, and Florida #3.

Moreover, 2021 was the first year (since 1972 anyways) where the state's population actually dropped, so this is a recent phenomenon. Has nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with people wanting to get the hell out of coastal cities ruined by the politics of Covid.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 19, 2023 9:07 am

California has floods, fires, earthquakes, and crazy people. Florida just has the crazy people, but many more of them.
― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic