Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Representative Cori Bush is a nutjob

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: Representative Cori Bush is a nutjob

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 20, 2023 1:47 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 11:36 am
TC Talks wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:09 pm
Meanwhile....
Changing the subject. What a shock.

Why don't you tell us your thoughts on $14,000,000,000,000.00 worth of reparations?
I think it's the wrong solution to a systemic problem in our country. How do we break the cycle of poverty amongst people of color?

There is no easy answer because it's generational poverty, and it would require remaking an entire culture in the United States. This remake won't take shape of a white rural religious trope many of you people live. Today, great minds who actually think about this topic have envisioned a pathway out of generational poverty, but it is slow and Americans think 15 minutes at a time.

I believe housing the 2 million homeless and reducing addiction would be a good first start. Properly funding head start and CPS would also produce results.

These are things I volunteer my time doing, so you could say I'm putting my time where my mouth is. How do you help make the world a better place?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 20, 2023 1:56 pm

How do we break the cycle of poverty? Well, let's just say that I don't think it is a coincidence that the "cycle of poverty" exists in places where there is also a "cycle of Democrat" rule. People of color overwhelming vote for Democrats, have always done so, and continue to do so. How well is that working out for them?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 20, 2023 2:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:56 pm
How do we break the cycle of poverty? Well, let's just say that I don't think it is a coincidence that the "cycle of poverty" exists in places where there is also a "cycle of Democrat" rule. People of color overwhelming vote for Democrats, have always done so, and continue to do so. How well is that working out for them?
That's finger pointing.

Grand Rapids has horrible poverty brought from years of Republican government, explain that.

Give me a solution.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 20, 2023 3:04 pm

Last time I checked, Grand Rapids has had a Democrat mayor since at least 2004.

You want a solution to the poverty problem in this country? If anybody had a solution, they'd be wealthy and living on a private island somewhere.

I will point one thing out though: We have made enormous progress as a country in reducing poverty rates among minorities. Going back to 1970, the poverty rate among whites is largely unchanged while poverty rates among minorities has fallen rather sharply.

Last edited by bmw on Sat May 20, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 20, 2023 3:04 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 1:56 pm
Blacks were Republicans for 100 years… but those Republicans are todays Democrats and vice versa… so it’s a wash maybe.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 20, 2023 4:59 pm

So here's where I inform BMW that poverty reduction is largely a federal program. Locals have very little to do with the impact.

Many of our problems in Michigan stem from a hay farmer named John Engler eliminating the mental health safety net in 1984. We have never recovered and our homelessness is disproportionately high in Michigan compared to states that are working on fixes.
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 20, 2023 6:56 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:59 pm
So here's where I inform BMW that poverty reduction is largely a federal program. Locals have very little to do with the impact.

Many of our problems in Michigan stem from a hay farmer named John Engler eliminating the mental health safety net in 1984. We have never recovered and our homelessness is disproportionately high in Michigan compared to states that are working on fixes.
I think it was more like 2001. Blanchard was Governor in 1984.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:56 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Actually, after a bit of research, the Republican legislature cut mental health funding and shifted to a CMH model from 82-90. Then John ompa lumpa Engler
cut funding to the CMH programs.
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 20, 2023 10:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 9:59 pm
Rate This wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:56 pm
TC Talks wrote:

Actually, after a bit of research, the Republican legislature cut mental health funding and shifted to a CMH model from 82-90. Then John ompa lumpa Engler
cut funding to the CMH programs.
So the roots of the issue go back some 40 years… makes sense… lots of downhill travel in the intervening period…

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic