Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Debt Limit..

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re: The Debt Limit..

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 30, 2023 12:00 pm

I am comfortable with the charitable elements of churches getting a tax credit. But the country club, political and real estate elements of religion should not get a pass.

For example; Mel Trotter Ministries serves the unhoused without restrictions. You don't have to accept any religious dogma to receive services. This is chartered as a religious organization yet serves all (even LGBTQ).

Religious media? Absolutely should be paying taxes, as they are largely political organizations.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 pm

Bipartisan debt ceiling bill passes easily in the house with 314 yays: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house- ... ing-crunch

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Wed May 31, 2023 10:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 pm
Bipartisan debt ceiling bill passes easily in the house with 314 yays: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house- ... ing-crunch
Half the Republicans in the House are really Democrats. NONE of the Democrats are even close to a Republican.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 31, 2023 11:48 pm

Bryce wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:55 pm
Matt wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:50 pm
Half the Republicans in the House are really Democrats. NONE of the Democrats are even close to a Republican.
And yet, your Republicans just learned they can be bypassed.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:25 am

The only member of the MI house delegation who voted against the debt ceiling bill was....

(Wait for it....)

Rashida Tlaib!!!

47 Dems and 71 Repubs voted no.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:26 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:25 am
The only member of the MI house delegation who voted against the debt ceiling bill was....

(Wait for it....)

Rashida Tlaib!!!

47 Dems and 71 Repubs voted no.
She's an embarrassment.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am

The fact that more Republicans voted against it than did Democrats tells you who got the better end of the deal.

So....back to spending like drunken sailors. While I absolutely agree that Tlaib is an embarrassment, the real embarrassment here is that we couldn't even get consensus on getting spending back to 2022 levels.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:04 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am
The fact that more Republicans voted against it than did Democrats tells you who got the better end of the deal.

So....back to spending like drunken sailors. While I absolutely agree that Tlaib is an embarrassment, the real embarrassment here is that we couldn't even get consensus on getting spending back to 2022 levels.
I’ll bet money if we hit $60 Trillion in debt it won’t matter a whit.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:14 am

As MW has pointed out on multiple occasions in this forum, it isn't so much the amount of debt as it is the ratio of debt to GDP. Post-Covid, that number now exceeds its peak that hit after WWII. The debt service is going to continually become a larger and larger percentage of our annual expenditures.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:05 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:58 am

Removing presumed from "71 presumed idiots" doesn't do what you think it does.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:29 am

I am for every American learning about Economics from a creditable source.

I believe that the No votes would have voted Yes if their vote ensured passage. No's we're simply grand standing.

Now McCarthy has a moderate group of legislators to get the business of the country passed.

Here's an idea of the vote based on how progressive or conservative the member was. This wasn't simply the fringe voting no.

Orange dot means opposed, grey dot means in favor of the bill. Clear dot means no vote.

Most Progressive Democrats (at the top)
Most Conservative Republicans (at the bottom)

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:45 am

So then there was some amount of bi-partisan opposition to the bill even from moderates.

My position has been that the House Republicans had no choice but to pass the bill given that they elected McCarthy as the Speaker and then he was the one who got the deal. My gripe is with McCarthy specifically as I thought he could have gotten at least something a little more than barely marginal spending cuts.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 am

I am not even remotely an economic expert. But it seems logical that eventually bad things can happen if the debt keeps going up.
I just found one list that has the US as 11th highest debt to GDP ratio.
Makes me think instead of being "the richest country in the world" maybe we are the 11th most broke country in the world.

I no longer directly engage trolls

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:57 am

With Democrats in the Presidency and Senate, he did pretty well.

Keep in mind there is a trillion dollar spending package coming soon that was also negotiated. It has all the GOP pork in it, so it will pass.

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:58 am

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:56 am
I am not even remotely an economic expert. But it seems logical that eventually bad things can happen if the debt keeps going up.
I just found one list that has the US as 11th highest debt to GDP ratio.
Makes me think instead of being "the richest country in the world" maybe we are the 11th most broke country in the world.
That wouldn't be the case if we close the billionaires tax loopholes. We would be flush and could work on the debt.

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic