Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

This perfectly sums up why I hate social media

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

This perfectly sums up why I hate social media

Post by bmw » Fri May 05, 2023 11:10 pm

...and the power its users have. These 2 paragraphs speak for themselves.
ABC and BBC Studios have agreed to edit an episode of the Australian kids' show "Bluey" after parents complained that it was perpetuating fat-shaming, Deadline reported Friday. The criticism surrounds a scene in the episode "Exercise," when Bluey's father, Bandit, stands on the bathroom scales and grabs his belly before embarking on a fitness journey.

Amateur watchdogs on social media platforms like Twitter and TikTok immediately called out the program for promoting allegedly toxic messaging about body positivity. "Apparently, Bluey is totally OK with fat-shaming now," said TikTok user Aussie Girl Margie in a video. "The fact they added in the scales and showed both parents being sad and disappointed after seeing the number on the scales is pretty problematic."
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/disne ... d/1118832/

Rate This

Re: This perfectly sums up why I hate social media

Post by Rate This » Fri May 05, 2023 11:52 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 11:10 pm
...and the power its users have. These 2 paragraphs speak for themselves.
ABC and BBC Studios have agreed to edit an episode of the Australian kids' show "Bluey" after parents complained that it was perpetuating fat-shaming, Deadline reported Friday. The criticism surrounds a scene in the episode "Exercise," when Bluey's father, Bandit, stands on the bathroom scales and grabs his belly before embarking on a fitness journey.

Amateur watchdogs on social media platforms like Twitter and TikTok immediately called out the program for promoting allegedly toxic messaging about body positivity. "Apparently, Bluey is totally OK with fat-shaming now," said TikTok user Aussie Girl Margie in a video. "The fact they added in the scales and showed both parents being sad and disappointed after seeing the number on the scales is pretty problematic."
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/disne ... d/1118832/
“Influencers” that I don’t recall nominating to be important are the problem. Who died and made their last wish that these folks had an outsized opinion on anything? Absent social media they would be nobody’s.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat May 06, 2023 8:07 am

I guess I just don't see why EVERYTHING has to be a problem. Do they actually know what "fat shaming" is?

"Hey, you useless fat fuck! You and your three chins need to lay off the McDonald's! Maybe walk your fat ass to the market and have some DIET Coke instead!"

This girl couldn't give a shit about fat shaming. She got her name going around the internet and that's good enough for her.
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 06, 2023 8:46 am

"Amateur watchdogs on social media"

Those four words encapsulate the end stage of societal devolution.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:07 am
I guess I just don't see why EVERYTHING has to be a problem. Do they actually know what "fat shaming" is?

"Hey, you useless fat fuck! You and your three chins need to lay off the McDonald's! Maybe walk your fat ass to the market and have some DIET Coke instead!"

This girl couldn't give a shit about fat shaming. She got her name going around the internet and that's good enough for her.
Diet Coke is the official drink of said fat asses based on my observation.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 06, 2023 9:05 am

Matt wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

“It’s good for me!” As they drink cancer causing artificial sweetener…

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat May 06, 2023 9:08 am

Matt wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

Sorry. Much like everything else of mine, my insults are stuck in the 90s.
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 06, 2023 9:23 am

So here's another perspective...

I used to work for Kennedy Research (now defunct) conducting focus group research. A corporation would spend millions to collect consumer data. But that data was contrived, because we tend to lie when in a room with a group of strangers on a Saturday talking about breakfast cereal or shoes.

Meta Business gives consumer research so much better data, without paying the subjects a dime. But it makes determining which opinions are shared widely, and which are outliers a bit harder.

Since we here are definitely deep inside the outlier realm, we might disagree with the results of consumer product decisions made by media companies, these types of activities have been going on since the birth of radio and television. Who remembers the great Al Bundy protest of the 90's?
https://marriedwithchildren.fandom.com/ ... ta_Boycott

So don't blame the social media platform, because the guilty party is all of us.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 am

The problem is not having "anti fat shaming" morph in to obesity being an accepted norm. Not shaming an obese person should NOT equal "its OK to be fat".
Obesity isn't listed as a direct leading cause of death in America. But it is a factor in several of the top 10.
I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 06, 2023 10:47 am

Anybody here remember the kid's show from the 90s on Nickelodeon called "Salute Your Shorts"? One of the characters (Donkey Lips) was obese, and I seem to recall an episode where he had to lose a bunch of weight for a competition or something. That obviously wouldn't fly today.

And re: Married with Children. Watching any single random episode of that show would be enough to put many of these "social influencers" into a mental institution.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat May 06, 2023 11:33 am

bmw wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:47 am
Anybody here remember the kid's show from the 90s on Nickelodeon called "Salute Your Shorts"? One of the characters (Donkey Lips) was obese, and I seem to recall an episode where he had to lose a bunch of weight for a competition or something. That obviously wouldn't fly today.

And re: Married with Children. Watching any single random episode of that show would be enough to put many of these "social influencers" into a mental institution.
I remember they did a project with spray painting noodles orange and Donkey Lips getting laughed at because he ate it thinking it was mac and cheese.

Idk. I believe in being a decent person and not being shitty and bringing people down, but I grew up on those shows and can take a joke. I feel like if everyone could take a (decently worded) joke, we would all be better off.
-TurkeyTop

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat May 06, 2023 1:23 pm

This show targets babies to preschoolers. My nephew loves it. They likely have no clue about the so-called fat-shaming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic