Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

1 dead, multiple injured in Atlanta active shooting

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

1 dead, multiple injured in Atlanta active shooting

Post by Taco » Wed May 03, 2023 2:57 pm

What is it gonna take to stop this madness!?

https://www.msnbc.com/chris-jansing-rep ... 2521029953

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Turkeytop

Re: 1 dead, multiple injured in Atlanta active shooting

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 03, 2023 3:43 pm

This gun enthusiast was merely exercising his Gawd given right to bear arms.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed May 03, 2023 5:22 pm

In 1982, Michael Erickson killed TWO people with a thread needle. When are we gonna ban thread needles, huh??? HUH?!?!??
"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 03, 2023 5:27 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:22 pm
In 1982, Michael Erickson killed TWO people with a thread needle. When are we gonna ban thread needles, huh??? HUH?!?!??
I can’t sow anyway… ban the sons of bitches….

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Wed May 03, 2023 6:47 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 5:22 pm
Any tool, including a sewing needle, if misused, can be a deadly weapon.

A gun, when used exactly as intended, IS a deadly weapon.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:06 pm

Here we go.
I'm sorry for the loss of life in Atlanta. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

So what's the answer?

Background checks for every firearm?
Great idea. Longer wait times? Fabulous. Restricting who can buy? Bravo.

Here's a Blue Clue. It can all be circumvented. I've said it before. It's too late to roll out any of that and think it really is going to have a meaningful effect. That's reality, sorry. There's 300 million firearms in America. Sure, go ahead and give it your best shot trying to curtail gun violence.

It's too late boys and girls. Worrying about getting shot is like worrying if a building is going to collapse while you're in it. Or worrying a driver is going to swerve in your lane and hit you head on.

You have two choices in your life now.
Either be like Alfred E. Nueman and say "What, me worry?". Or never leave the house.
Last edited by Deleted User 15924 on Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 03, 2023 7:07 pm

Round Six wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:06 pm
Here we go.
I'm sorry for the loss of life in Atlanta. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

So what's the answer?

Great idea. Longer wait times? Fabulous. Restricting who can buy? Pravo.

Here's a Blue Clue. It can all be circumvented. I've said it before. It's too late to roll out any of that and think it really is going to have a meaningful effect. That's reality, sorry. There's 300 million firearms in America. Sure, go ahead and give it your best shot trying to curtail gun violence.

It's too late boys and girls. Worrying about getting shot is like worrying if a building is going to collapse while you're in it. Or worrying a driver is going to swerve in your lane and hit you head on.

Either be like Alfred E. Nueman and say "What, me worry?". Or never leave the house.
Or cops get permission to kill anyone else with a gun on sight. I’ll solve that problem right fucking now. I don’t know anyone with a gun and if freeways are less clogged that works for me just fine.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm

Round Six wrote:
Here we go.

So what's the answer?

We really should make killng someone illegal.

That will end this once and for all.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed May 03, 2023 7:39 pm

km1125 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 7:20 pm
Round Six wrote:
Here we go.

So what's the answer?

We really should make killng someone illegal.

That will end this once and for all.
A close friend of mine was shot, ambush style with 4 gunman coming out of bushes as he stopped to help what looked like a injured person, as a good Samaritan would.

Sentence for the gunman: attempted robbery, most anyone got was 3 years and they we're paroled in 18 months.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

kager

Post by kager » Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am

Send your thoughts, prayers and great ideas to "stop the madness" to Serbia.
This gun enthusiast was merely exercising his Gawd given right to bear arms

Appears Hollywood's writers are not the only ones on strike this week...
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 am

kager wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am

Except a gun is a tool to kill things. Maybe you have a habit of using it as a hammer or an egg beater but nobody else does.

kager

Post by kager » Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:33 am
kager wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 8:39 am

Except a gun is a tool to kill things. Maybe you have a habit of using it as a hammer or an egg beater but nobody else does.
Yes, of course!

Those ingeniously-suggested firearm habits of mine do get in the way of fixing things around the house, and making breakfast...

I've seen what they use guns for in the Olympics, too - exclusively: killing things.

Save it. Everyone knows a gun's primary reason for construction:

Driving people who don't own them into a soft white foam of posting repetition.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 15924

Post by Deleted User 15924 » Thu May 04, 2023 10:17 am

Like most of you, comments along the lines of "anything can kill you so ban extension ladders if you're going to ban guns" is being silly. It would be great to eradicate gun violence. I'm all for an effective solution.

Just as silly is comparing us to other countries and saying if we just enacted the same laws they have .. blah blah yawn. It's too late. Those other countries kept a lid on personal firearm ownership before there was 2 guns for every citizen. Hell, look at England. Even all the police don't carry a gun. There's separate units called "Armed Police". Russia is the same way. Not every cop carrys. Talk about keeping guns tight.

I'm open to anyone posting a solution that they think would actually be EFFECTIVE.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 04, 2023 11:08 am

Round Six wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 10:17 am
Like most of you, comments along the lines of "anything can kill you so ban extension ladders if you're going to ban guns" is being silly. It would be great to eradicate gun violence. I'm all for an effective solution.

Just as silly is comparing us to other countries and saying if we just enacted the same laws they have .. blah blah yawn. It's too late. Those other countries kept a lid on personal firearm ownership before there was 2 guns for every citizen. Hell, look at England. Even all the police don't carry a gun. There's separate units called "Armed Police". Russia is the same way. Not every cop carrys. Talk about keeping guns tight.

I'm open to anyone posting a solution that they think would actually be EFFECTIVE.
It's been said numerous times before, ENFORCE THE EXISTING GUN LAWS! 90% of the problems would start drying up immediately. Most of the "mass shootings" and "gun violence" problems are perpetrated by folks who have been violating laws (particularly gun laws) and getting off without as much as a slap on the wrist. And don't acquiesce to the folks that would say this would "disproportionately affect minorities", because the laws should apply to ALL equally, regardless of race, and they should be enforced that way too.

The other 10% is seriously doing something about mental health. How many of the most recent "mass shooting" perps were KNOWN to be having mental health issues and were on some type of "medication"? We're treating all kinds of serous mental health problems with a response that's mostly "you're OK, you're just different", and handing them a few pills to address the symptoms so they can go about their lives in the (cruel) world, when indeed we should be treating them similar to an early diagnosis of cancer.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Thu May 04, 2023 11:52 am

OK first, this 90/10 percentage thing you mention above... give me some reliable data sources for this claim.

Your second paragraph... show me the data behind the connection between deranged mass shooters with mental health issues and the rest of the population who suffers from mental health issues who doesn't commit such heinous acts. This claim just reinforces a stigma against people with mental illness by people who don't understand mental illness. Much of what is believed to be mental illness ISN'T mental illness. But some people want to lump all sorts of mental illnesses together as the same.

I'm getting a bit off the gun topic now, and pardon my ramble, but I need to call this out...

Some people like to throw people into a "cruel" world, and want to keep it that way by defending the cruelty of the word, seemingly because it's easier than accepting the world needs to change, making the change, and changing with it. Why not work on making the world less cruel? "But it can't be done! The world will always be cruel!" OK, well, the world became less cruel when the US was founded by a concept that people were no longer governed by a church.
The world became less cruel when slavery was abolished in the US.
The world became less cruel when people weren't beheaded for speaking their opinions.
The world became less cruel when mental illness was properly treated, and those who don't have mental illness weren't subject to such treatment.
And the world will become less cruel when we encourage people to stop blaming themselves because others want them to either conform, be treated like they're a cancer, or be dead. This goes way beyond just the gun argument. Look how minority communities are treated.

Show me evidence that says telling someone "You're OK, you're just different" leads to them being a mass murderer. Treat mental illness when necessary, and if someone isn't mentally ill, don't treat them for mental illness. Some people of sound mind do horrible things without being mentally ill, because they're just bad people, not because they are mentally ill. People with no experience with mental illness need to learn what mental illness actually is and does, and understand that not every mental illness is the same, caused by the same thing, and treated the same way. If you blanket oppress people who shouldn't be oppressed, it's asking for more trouble, and you may be creating more monsters.

All that being said, why aren't we funding the research and treatment of the societal woe of mental illness better, and as citizens trusting our mental health professionals?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic