Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Abbott to pardon BLM murderer who is white.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Abbott to pardon BLM murderer who is white.

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:26 am

This is probably the most racist thing I've seen in a while. Preemptively announcing that he would overturn a jury conviction because a white man killed a black man.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said on Saturday that he would pardon a man who was convicted on Friday of murdering a protester in Austin, as long as a state board brought such a request to his desk.

The announcement from the governor directly places the fate of Daniel S. Perry, who was found guilty of killing Garrett Foster, 28, at a Black Lives Matter demonstration in 2020, in the hands of the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

The board’s members, who are appointed by the governor, determine who should be granted a pardon. Mr. Perry faces a sentence of life in prison.

“Texas has one of the strongest ‘Stand Your Ground’ laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or a progressive District Attorney,” Mr. Abbott wrote on Twitter.

“I look forward to approving the board’s pardon recommendation as soon as it hits my desk,” he added.

A pardon for Mr. Perry would free him from a prison sentence, allow him to vote and restore his right to serve on a jury.

The governor’s statement came a day after Matt Rinaldi, the chairman of the Republican Party in Texas, expressed his disdain for the verdict, saying that “this case should have never been prosecuted” and that a pardon from the governor was “in order.”

Mr. Abbott’s office and the Board of Pardons and Paroles did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Saturday night.

The potential pardon of Mr. Perry threatens to undermine the Travis County District Attorney’s office, which prosecuted the case.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Re: Abbott to pardon BLM murderer who is white.

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:47 pm

While I agree that a pardon nullifying the jury is an egregious overreach of power by Abbott, it seems more like a fight over Texas' stand your ground law rather than racism.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/us ... -rcna78782

Was race even a factor that was argued by either side at the trial?
Wellllll... la de frickin da

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:47 pm
While I agree that a pardon nullifying the jury is an egregious overreach of power by Abbott, it seems more like a fight over Texas' stand your ground law rather than racism.

The fact it was a BLM protest brings race into the discussion.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 pm

Perry’s lawyer, Clint Broden, issued a statement saying Perry was an army sergeant based at Fort Hood who was working as a rideshare driver that night. He’d just dropped off a passenger before turning down a street and encountering a BLM protest, Broden said.

Broden said several people began beating on Perry’s car and a man carrying an assault-style rifle approached the car and motioned with the rifle for Perry to lower his window.

“Foster, the individual with the assault rifle, began to raise the AK-47 toward Sgt. Perry. It was only then that Sgt. Perry, who carried a handgun in his car for his own protection, fired on Foster because he believed his life to be in jeopardy,” Broden said.
And how many of the "witnesses" for the prosecution were actually fellow BLM protesters??

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:50 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:57 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:47 pm

The fact it was a BLM protest brings race into the discussion.
The guy runs into these clowns protesting and shoots one of them after they mob his car… I’d have done the same. Also wouldn’t hesitate to mow them down on the freeway. Protesting is one thing. Interrupting other people’s lives who want nothing more than to be left alone makes it open season on the “protesters”. They deserve Darwin awards.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:43 pm

So killing was acceptable?
― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:02 pm

I get that race is part of the entire scenario that led to the shooting. That doesn't make Abbott's proposed pardon a racist act if he follows through.

I'm much more bothered by his advocacy for ignoring the results of a jury trial because he disagrees with them when it comes to their interpretation of stand your ground.

Abbott is an advocate for stand your ground. That clearly, to me, is his motivation here - not that Perry is White and Foster was Black. Doesn't make Abbott any less of an ass in my eyes. Respect the jury. Respect that Perry could have grounds for appeal if the jury miss-applied the law. But keep your own political motivations out of it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:09 pm

He's also asking for the pardon request not just entertaining a request.

I understand his stated motivation, there are undertones of race is the vigor at which he is addressing this verdict.
― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:09 pm
... there are undertones of race is the vigor at which he is addressing this verdict.
Where? Give me just one quote from Abbott concerning the pardon that even hints that he's doing it because of race. Give me just one quote from Abbott before or during the trial that hints he would nullify the jury because of the races of the perp and the victim.
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:26 am
This is probably the most racist thing I've seen in a while.
I'm calling you out directly for just making stuff up. Prove me wrong with actual and legitimate factual information. Please.

Round Six

Post by Round Six » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:04 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:20 pm
Perry’s lawyer, Clint Broden, issued a statement saying Perry was an army sergeant based at Fort Hood who was working as a rideshare driver that night. He’d just dropped off a passenger before turning down a street and encountering a BLM protest, Broden said.

Broden said several people began beating on Perry’s car and a man carrying an assault-style rifle approached the car and motioned with the rifle for Perry to lower his window.

“Foster, the individual with the assault rifle, began to raise the AK-47 toward Sgt. Perry. It was only then that Sgt. Perry, who carried a handgun in his car for his own protection, fired on Foster because he believed his life to be in jeopardy,” Broden said.
And how many of the "witnesses" for the prosecution were actually fellow BLM protesters??
So TC Talks.
Share with the group just how much effort you put forth to ascertain what transpired before your post that started this thread?

Myself, I wasn't even half way through your initiating missive before I had already resolved to find, like Paul Harvey used to say, the rest of the story.

Certainly you must agree anyone with greater than 13 gray cells between their ears would of pondered "Okay, so what happened here?" before just copy and pasting.
Last edited by Round Six on Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:12 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:37 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:09 pm
... there are undertones of race is the vigor at which he is addressing this verdict.
Where? Give me just one quote from Abbott concerning the pardon that even hints that he's doing it because of race. Give me just one quote from Abbott before or during the trial that hints he would nullify the jury because of the races of the perp and the victim.
TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:26 am
This is probably the most racist thing I've seen in a while.
I'm calling you out directly for just making stuff up. Prove me wrong with actual and legitimate factual information. Please.
You think the Governor is going to leave clues about pandering to the racists in Texas? He's a jerk but you don't get elected when you're that much of an idiot.

Look at the protest, you don't believe for a minute that Abbott was happy about BLM, do you?

This move pleases both the gun nutters and racists. They are Abbott's base.
― Noam Chomsky

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:16 pm

So, in other words, you have nothing.

Got it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:37 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:16 pm
So, in other words, you have nothing.
Got it.
I believe it's called Dog Whistling and I don't believe in coincidence. Prove to me this wasn't racially charged. Can't do it?
― Noam Chomsky

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:43 pm
So killing was acceptable?
Do you traditionally advise people to play in traffic?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic