Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AM Radios A Safety Concern To Electric Vehicles????

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Ben Zonia

AM Radios A Safety Concern To Electric Vehicles????

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:28 pm

I always suspected that this was the real reason for eliminating AM radios in EVs. But Rush Limbaugh died. Trump is no longer President. Talk radio is small compared to the Rush Limbaugh heyday before he died. And the people who are buying EVs now weren't listening to AM anyway. So it's all about jamming AM broadcasts? Didn't the Soviet Union, Red China, and Cuba jam broadcasts? Cuba still has stations on every AM frequency to keep their people from listening to US radio. Are we falling to their level? But what is the SAFETY concern? People driving off the road into ravines when they hear that the Economy is tanking on AM radio? Because the hits just keep on coming on FM? This is a strange headline for the article.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/03/ ... -concerns/

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mega Hertz

Re: AM Radios A Safety Concern To Electric Vehicles????

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:51 pm

Goddamn it! Victimized again!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:01 am

You’ll have to tell Elon that conservatives are being silenced by EVs. Maybe he’ll buy Tesla and….oh, wait.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:16 am

Whoever created the headline doesn't even understand the content of the article! So Ben is right; bizarre headline choice indeed.

Some are saying the REMOVAL of the AM band is what is creating the safety concern. Some claim AM radio is critical for the dispensing of emergency info. I have no idea on what notion that claim is based. I've never visited a place that doesn't have access to multiple reliable FM signals but for the Windsor Tunnel.

EV makers primarily aren't including AM radio due to the large amount of interference microprocessors and electrical devices within the vehicle create. This would make AM radio reception mostly unbearable and would likely lead to consumer complaints.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:30 am

Are electric vehicles even FCC Part 15 compliant?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am

That's a good question. IIRC cars are exempt from part 15.

Maybe they should make that a requirement - then the issue might resolve itself.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:29 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:39 am
That's a good question. IIRC cars are exempt from part 15.

Maybe they should make that a requirement - then the issue might resolve itself.
Emerging technology often displaces long abandoned technology. I'm amazed cars come with am/fm as a standard feature anymore. Can you get a CD player in a 2023 vehicle? Time marches on...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:36 am

I'm sure you run metal spark wires too on your ancient microbus, so the AM Radio has "sparkles" too, LOL.

99%+ of consumers when asked if they want an AM/FM Radio in the next car said yes.

You know better TCT.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:59 am

audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:36 am
I'm sure you run metal spark wires too on your ancient microbus, so the AM Radio has "sparkles" too, LOL.

99%+ of consumers when asked if they want an AM/FM Radio in the next car said yes.

You know better TCT.
My bus radio sounds like AM was intended to sound. Just like the crackle of vinyl. Very retro.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:35 am

My understanding is that with AM, someone broadcasting an emergency message can still be heard when a stronger signal is there. With FM, the weaker signal will be shut out and not be heard. That is why the air to ground radios that airplanes have are AM rather than FM. If somebody is sending out a Mayday, it can still be heard if a stronger signal is present.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic