Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 12 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Starbucks fires Buffalo union worker who ‘ignited a movement’ to organize

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Taco

Starbucks fires Buffalo union worker who ‘ignited a movement’ to organize

Post by Taco » Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:13 pm

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Deleted User 15835

Re: Starbucks fires Buffalo union worker who ‘ignited a movement’ to organize

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm

I'm not surprised in the slightest. You see, they can't fire you for wanting to form a Union, but they can build a case against you for speaking up against problems in the workplace (So called insubordination) and even the smallest infractions. It happens all the time.

Years ago, in my workplace a guy who worked on The AM shift who was a key player in trying to get a Union drive going, was basically forced into retirement. There isn't any concrete evidence to back this up but let's just say, everyone deep down knows the company pushed him out the door. After the whole attempt at getting a Union election fizzled out, they started really ridding him about production quota and wrote him up twice for mild infractions (that other people get off scott free doing all the time). He had wanted to work 3-4 more years before he retired but they just made things suck for him so much, he decided to retire early.

Corporations like Starbucks and others have contingent plans and actions at the ready to deal with " Troublemakers" who speak up against management. Myself, I am careful about picking my battles in the workplace, but I am on one managers s--t list because I called BS on him one day and he knew very well he was lying.

I very much commend Alexis Rizzo but again it does not surprise me that in the end, Starbucks fired her.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:50 pm

Trying to start a union doesn't insulate you from doing a poor job.

Starbucks has had a history of paying livable wages, health insurance and other significant benefits.
“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:10 pm

Our oldest son got fired from his job in retail during a Union organizing drive. He wasn't involved in the campaign at all. It was his old man's reputation that got him fired.

The Union got him a cash settlement from the Company.

The campaign failed.
I don't mean to brag, but I just put a puzzle together in 1 day and the box said 2-4 years.

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:57 pm

I agree, if you do a poor job then you should be held accountable, no arguments here. In fact, I wish some people in my workplace would be held accountable for their Laziness. However, what went down at my place of work, was a little too neat IMO. Which proves my point about what little power your average worker really has in the USA.

I don't know much about Starbucks as far as working there but if someone wanted to form a Union, then clearly something was going on that shouldn't have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic