Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kevin McCarthy not enough of a weasel

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Kevin McCarthy not enough of a weasel

Post by TC Talks » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:18 pm

It looks like the iron clad GOP is fractioning even more than previously thought...

Let's all thank Donald Trump for fucking up everything he comes in contact with.

Now moderate Republicans threaten to elect a Democratic leader (like Joe Manchin?)if they don't like the candidate...

It's a shit show boys...
Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the party leader, toiled on Monday — 24 hours before Republicans assume the House majority — to lock down the votes he needs to be elected speaker because he had so far failed to break through entrenched opposition from hard-right lawmakers.

The recalcitrance among ultraconservative lawmakers, even after Mr. McCarthy made a key concession that would weaken his power in the top post, threatened a tumultuous start to the Republican majority in the House. The standoff underscored Mr. McCarthy’s precarious position within his conference and all but guaranteed that even if he eked out a victory he would be a diminished figure beholden to an empowered right flank.
Here are some other possibilities...

12ft.io/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/us/p ... tives.html

Honeyman

Re: Kevin McCarthy not enough of a weasel

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:38 pm

:rollin :rollin :rollin

2nd ballot, no Speaker!

Idiot Republicans can't even get this right!

The censorship king from out of state.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:39 pm

I hope the irony is not lost that after failure to secure the Speakership on the first vote, Matt Gaetz (he of credible accusations of inappropriate sexual conduct with minors) nominated Gym Jordan (he of credible accusations of not reporting sexual abuse while he was an assistant coach for the Ohio St. wresting program) for the speaker position. You Pubs sure know how to pick 'em. Wear it proud.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:51 pm

I'm kind of a dingus. What does it mean now? Who gets Speaker?
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:10 pm

I like the idea of the moderates finding a moderate Democrat to vote for...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:52 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:51 pm
I'm kind of a dingus. What does it mean now? Who gets Speaker?
218 unless there are some abstentions, then the number goes down. If it goes too low then you can address Jeffries Mr. Speaker

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:38 pm

Third ballot and still nothing. McCarthy came in 2nd after 20 defections. House adjourns until tomorrow.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:49 pm

🤣

-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:49 pm

I haven't really followed this story other than I know there's been grumblings for a while that McCarthy was going to have a bumpy ride getting to the speakership. So the 20 hold outs - what is their beef? McCarthy not conservative enough? Something else?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:56 pm

From all I've gathered, it's a shit sandwich. He's too far right for the moderates and too moderate for the far right. There's a faction that wants to move away from Trump and a faction that doesn't. I've been hearing for a while this may be a problem. It's definitely a moment of truth for the Republicans.

-TurkeyTop

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:00 pm

I think it's all personality, really. He's such an asshole, even schmucks like Goetz wont vote for him, mainly out of spite.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:07 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:49 pm
I haven't really followed this story other than I know there's been grumblings for a while that McCarthy was going to have a bumpy ride getting to the speakership. So the 20 hold outs - what is their beef? McCarthy not conservative enough? Something else?
Part of their beef is the holdouts want a rule change back to 1 member being enough to trigger a vote on the speakers removal rather than the current one-third or some other reasonable number more than 1. They want to be able to railroad him out of town like Boehner and Ryan were.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:00 pm
I think it's all personality, really. He's such an asshole, even schmucks like Goetz wont vote for him, mainly out of spite.
McCarthy has been pretty consistent about writing checks with his mouth that he can't cover.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:13 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm
Honeyman wrote:
McCarthy has been pretty consistent about writing checks with his mouth that he can't cover.
He's a duplicitous, lying, scumbag.

You would think he'd get the GOP nomination unanimously!

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:24 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:13 pm
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:09 pm
Honeyman wrote:
You would think he'd get the GOP nomination unanimously!
Proof positive that there 's a dearth of leadership skills within the Republican party. This should have been a coronation rather than a wresting match.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic