Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kari Lake’s Take

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Kari Lake’s Take

Post by screen glare » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:31 am

Kari Lake’s a snake.
And she refuses to slither back to her hole.
Due to lack of evidence a judge reviewing her election “printer shenanigans” suit has now chopped off her head.
But the former TV news anchor refuses to accept the majority “NO” vote in her race to become AZ governor.
Will she remain a news story, never conceding defeat, until Ron DeathSantis takes her as his running mate?
Stay tuned Lakers. You may yet see your obnoxious Kari on some sort of political pedestal. Somewhere.

What a NARROW-minded BROAD! Sarah P. all over again.

Lester The Nightfly

Re: Kari Lake’s Take

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:30 pm

After having had a front row seat to watch her antics, in my humblest of opinions she's a very troubled individual. It had to be devastating to be a woman careening toward age fifty to lose a job in the only profession she knows. Even more so in a very public manner. Add to that, there's not a lot of call for middle age broadcasters with large market contract expectations that are also something of a loose cannon on-air. Nope, not when ASU's Cronkite J-school is a fifteen minute walk to the studio where you can have your pick of eager, fresh-faced grads who can probably read a TelePrompTer nearly as well as Lake can. In short, she's done in the business.

On top of that there was no evidence whatsoever that she had any skill doing all those mundane things a state chief executive does to keep the wheels of government turning. Hell, nobody knew if she could balance her own checkbook let alone administer a close to $13B state budget. I think most reasonable people still believe in the concept of working your way up the ladder.

If you look at her behavior in terms of someone who likely won't be able to sustain a lifestyle she became accustom to, politics looks like a nice place to be. When that didn't pan out it's not so hard to see where she blew a fuse.

All of that said, as a voter registered in Arizona we got damn lucking dodging a bullet this time. Next time it might not work so well...

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:27 pm

Lester, what happened in the AZ AG race? Last I had heard, the Democrat was up by 500 votes going to a recount.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:04 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:27 pm
Lester, what happened in the AZ AG race? Last I had heard, the Democrat was up by 500 votes going to a recount.
Arizona Republican loses lawsuit over attorney general race.
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... d98c24e7af

PHOENIX (AP) — A judge has thrown out Republican Abraham Hamadeh’s challenge of election results in his race against Democrat Kris Mayes for Arizona attorney general, concluding that Hamadeh didn’t prove the errors in vote counting that he had alleged.

It appears this will resolve itself like so many other Republican election losses. Make up some shit that it was rigged, go to court, court acknowledges it's made up shit and tosses the case. I suspect the next thing we'll hear is some scam to payoff campaign debts. Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:25 pm

This is probably more of a sweeping generalization, but it seems no one knows how to take an L anymore. Sure, Democrats cried for four years about Russia, but at least we recognized Trump was the president.

Nobody knows how to accept defeat anymore. I've spent the better part of my life losing, so I've gotten used to it 🤣

But that being said, this business of "You didn't win, I was cheated, and I see myself or this other person as the real president/AG/governor" or whatever is reaching ridiculous proportions. Kinda like in sports, too. My team didn't lose, yours cheated and the refs helped. What kind of society are we becoming? Is it ego? "I couldn't POSSIBLY lose, someone had to steal it from me!" Is it mental illness? Just because I say the sun rises in the west, stating it doesn't make it so. And everything is a conspiracy. It's either "the left" or fucking Hillary again. Sometimes I wonder how we got to this point. Is it social media? That nobody wants to be seen as the loser? Nobody's ego can handle it? Jesus Christ, man. Is it ever gonna stop?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Kinda like in sports, too. My team didn't lose, yours cheated and the refs helped.
Years ago there was a call-in sports talk radio show by the name of "The Fabulous Sports Babe". She didn't suffer fools lightly. Inevitably after a big game some slappy would phone in ranting about how his team was jobbed out of a win because the refs were bribed, the weather played havoc with their team, their opponent was cheating... You get the idea. She would usually respond "SCORE MORE POINTS" and hang up on them.

Good advice then, good advice now. Holds true in sports, holds true in politics.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:28 pm

The NY Times Magazine very great article comparing the start of the Civil War and today wrote:"A striking dissimilarity between the 19th century and today is that even during the secession crisis of 1860-61, those who lost elections acknowledged their defeat. They acted politically to organize against their opponents in the next election or they took the revolutionary act of domestic insurrection and withdrawal from the Union, but they did not dispute the election results."
This should be a bypass the paywall link to the article

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:04 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:28 pm
The NY Times Magazine very great article comparing the start of the Civil War and today wrote:"A striking dissimilarity between the 19th century and today is that even during the secession crisis of 1860-61, those who lost elections acknowledged their defeat. They acted politically to organize against their opponents in the next election or they took the revolutionary act of domestic insurrection and withdrawal from the Union, but they did not dispute the election results."
It would seem that every well-meaning attempt at bipartisanship, political reconciliation or even decency in public discourse has to fight the powerful headwinds of disinformation flowing from ardent Trumpists and their media allies. A strained insistence on conformity and correctness of thought, language and behavior by the left and the right also seems to have rendered respect, grace and honest communication across political lines a thing of the past. And our elections, rather than reliably resolving our differences, are now unsteady rituals of intolerance. One enduring lesson of the 1850s and 1860s is that democracies survive only when those who lose elections accept the result.
So the author, as is almost always the case when I read these kinds of articles, it largely placing the blame with the right - and specifically, with Trump supporters. No mention of the 4 years of disinformation from the leftist media during the entire Trump presidency. No mention of the widespread election denialism that occurred in 2000, 2004, 2016, or any mention of how many tens of millions of Americans (mostly Democrats) considered GW Bush an illegitimate President. Nope. No mention of how HIllary Clinton repeatedly claimed that Trump was an illegitimate President. Nope; it's all Trump's fault. Now....I've been highly critical since the day after the 2020 election of Trump's rhetoric regarding "stolen elections," but let's not pretend that what we're seeing today isn't, at least in-part, a response to what much of the left did in 2000, 2004, and 2016. BOTH SIDES need to call for an end to this nonsense.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:35 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:04 pm
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:28 pm
It would seem that every well-meaning attempt at bipartisanship, political reconciliation or even decency in public discourse has to fight the powerful headwinds of disinformation flowing from ardent Trumpists and their media allies. A strained insistence on conformity and correctness of thought, language and behavior by the left and the right also seems to have rendered respect, grace and honest communication across political lines a thing of the past. And our elections, rather than reliably resolving our differences, are now unsteady rituals of intolerance. One enduring lesson of the 1850s and 1860s is that democracies survive only when those who lose elections accept the result.
So the author, as is almost always the case when I read these kinds of articles, it largely placing the blame with the right - and specifically, with Trump supporters. No mention of the 4 years of disinformation from the leftist media during the entire Trump presidency. No mention of the widespread election denialism that occurred in 2000, 2004, 2016, or any mention of how many tens of millions of Americans (mostly Democrats) considered GW Bush an illegitimate President. Nope. No mention of how HIllary Clinton repeatedly claimed that Trump was an illegitimate President. Nope; it's all Trump's fault. Now....I've been highly critical since the day after the 2020 election of Trump's rhetoric regarding "stolen elections," but let's not pretend that what we're seeing today isn't, at least in-part, a response to what much of the left did in 2000, 2004, and 2016. BOTH SIDES need to call for an end to this nonsense.
Except.... It wasn't "Widespread" or long lasting for that matter in any of those other years. You're comparing apples and hammers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:26 pm

Fine. You want an exact apples-to-apples comparison? I know you like polls, so here you go:

July 17, 2001 Gallup poll:
-Did GW Bush win the 2000 election "fair and square?"
-15% of Democrats in 2001 believed that Bush won fair and square

-Nov 15, 2021 Monmouth poll:
-Did Joe Biden win the 2020 election "fair and square?"
-22% of Republicans in 2021 believed that Biden won fair and square

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... 11521.pdf/
https://news.gallup.com/poll/4687/seven ... ident.aspx

How about another apples-to-apples comparison? Legitimacy.

-Do you "accept" Bush as a "legitimate president?"
-34% of Democrats in 2001 did not accept Bush as legitimate

-Nov 13, 2016 Washington Post poll:
-Do you accept "Trump's election as legitimate?"
-33% Hillary Clinton supporters do not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... oll-finds/

So while Donald Trump may be the most vocal example of a politician who has decried election results as illegitimate, in the context of a civil war, it is public perception that matters, and both Republicans and Democrats seem to have held views in very similar numbers respective of how their own candidate did or did not do going all the way back to 2000.

I thus stand by my stance that it is intellectually dishonest to blame one side for where we're at today in this regard.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:56 pm

Bmw-

I get it. You guys are the REAL victims. I know, I know. WHATABOUT!? Here's the thing. Be the bigger people. Have the grace. Be above it. Are you just gonna sit here and cry WHATABOUT and OH BUT WHEN IT JAMES MADISON! Be the better group, and you won't have to constantly cry foul. Could I stand Trump? Not in your wildest dreams. Did I recognize he was the president? Yep. That broad brush your stroking with missed people like me, who for four years, gritted my teeth and dealt with it. That was the whole point of my post above.

I'm dying for for someone, ANYONE to stand up and say "Yeah, that sucked. My bad. We'll try harder and do better next time". This race to the bottom/what about/his fault shit is really stale. Really, really, really, really, really stale.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:16 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:56 pm
Bmw-

I get it. You guys are the REAL victims. I know, I know. WHATABOUT!? Here's the thing. Be the bigger people. Have the grace. Be above it. Are you just gonna sit here and cry WHATABOUT and OH BUT WHEN IT JAMES MADISON! Be the better group, and you won't have to constantly cry foul. Could I stand Trump? Not in your wildest dreams. Did I recognize he was the president? Yep. That broad brush your stroking with missed people like me, who for four years, gritted my teeth and dealt with it. That was the whole point of my post above.

I'm dying for for someone, ANYONE to stand up and say "Yeah, that sucked. My bad. We'll try harder and do better next time". This race to the bottom/what about/his fault shit is really stale. Really, really, really, really, really stale.
They could go get better ideas they were sure could win and appeal to more people too… that’s a much reliable way out of a hole for a party.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:19 pm

A poster who identifies as a German automobile, so I'm unsure of pronouns, wrote:I thus stand by my stance that it is intellectually dishonest to blame one side for where we're at today in this regard.
You make an interesting point, with some legitimacy. But there are some striking differences - in 2000, the loser DID accept the results. After a questionable (my opinion) Supreme Court ruling, Al Gore CONCEDED.
The "inventor" of the Internet spoke but I'm sure in advance wrote:Just moments ago, I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulated him on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. And I promised him that I wouldn't call him back this time. I offered to meet with him as soon as possible so that we can start to heal the divisions of the campaign and the contest through which we've just passed.
Donald Trump's "concession" didn't happen until AFTER Jan 6th.
The former guy read this from a teleprompter, so I'm pretty sure someone else wrote:Now congress has certified the results, a new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th , my focus now turns to ensuring a smooth orderly and seamless transition of power.
And he has continued after leaving Washington to claiming the election was rigged and not legitimate.

So you can quote all the polls you want, but Al Gore DID accept Bush as the legitimate President. And that's the big difference.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:26 pm
Fine. You want an exact apples-to-apples comparison? I know you like polls, so here you go:

-Did GW Bush win the 2000 election "fair and square?"
-15% of Democrats in 2001 believed that Bush won fair and square

-Nov 15, 2021 Monmouth poll:
-Did Joe Biden win the 2020 election "fair and square?"
-22% of Republicans in 2021 believed that Biden won fair and square

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-instit ... 11521.pdf/
https://news.gallup.com/poll/4687/seven ... ident.aspx

How about another apples-to-apples comparison? Legitimacy.

-Do you "accept" Bush as a "legitimate president?"
-34% of Democrats in 2001 did not accept Bush as legitimate

-Nov 13, 2016 Washington Post poll:
-Do you accept "Trump's election as legitimate?"
-33% Hillary Clinton supporters do not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... oll-finds/

So while Donald Trump may be the most vocal example of a politician who has decried election results as illegitimate, in the context of a civil war, it is public perception that matters, and both Republicans and Democrats seem to have held views in very similar numbers respective of how their own candidate did or did not do going all the way back to 2000.

I thus stand by my stance that it is intellectually dishonest to blame one side for where we're at today in this regard.
Providing more evidence that there's no victim like a conservative victim cause a conservative victim don't stop...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Katie Hobbs seeks sanctions against Kari Lake after Arizona judge dismisses election challenge lawsuit

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2022-e ... -rcna63274

Wouldn't this be the functional equivalent of seeking a restraining order to a threatening, batshit crazy ex?

If the shoe fits...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic