Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Chinese residents protesting covid lockdowns

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

Re: Chinese residents protesting covid lockdowns

Post by zzand » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:23 am

That's a good way to put it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:24 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:50 am
Covid deaths per capita, Michigan ranks 31. Just because you keep repeating something doesn't mean it's close to true. You're full of shit with no substantive basis for your opinion.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Actually, Michigan ranks 8th worst at just over 4,000 deaths per 1M population, even according to your own link (also confirmed by the New York Times). That makes YOU the one full of shit, literally pulling a number straight out of your ass.
zzand wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:33 am
This is a useless conversation as neither side is ever going to budge. My feelings have changed quite a bit due to unexpected side effects of being vaxxed and boosted that have radically changed my life. Use your energy for better things like bashing Trump or Biden.
Sorry to hear that. I think you briefly alluded to this in another post some weeks back. I am curious though, given what it has done to you, why in the world would you still have gotten the vaccine even knowing how it affected you?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 am

BMW look at the parameters of the study I'm talking about. This is measuring deaths per Capita, not total death.

ZZand, what would happen if you contracted COVID?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:57 am

To give me a better chance of not ending up in the ICU or dead. I did have issues that would have made an infection worse. But since the side effects kicked in they have all gone away with the exception of type 2 Diabetes and even that is way under control. It is amazing what losing 60 pounds in 4 months will do to blood pressure and your A1C.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:03 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 am
BMW look at the parameters of the study I'm talking about. This is measuring deaths per Capita, not total death.
#9 in total deaths
#8 in deaths per capita

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:14 am

If I had tested positive and shown symptoms I would have ended up in ICU due to issues I had. But the vaccine wouldn't have kept me from getting it. It would have only given me a better chance to survive. I know this but it doesn't lessen the impact the jabs have had on my every day life.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:17 am

Oh, and guess what else. Michigan currently ranks DEAD-WORST (no pun intended) in per-capita deaths as of late. We were 3rd or 4th worst a few months ago, we are now king - and it isn't even close!

14-day average - deaths per 100k, per day

1 - Michigan - 0.39
2 - Alaska - 0.31
3 - Massachusetts - 0.21
4 - West Virginia - 0.17
47 - North Carolina 0.04
48 - Alabama 0.03
49 - Texas 0.03
50 - North Dakota 0

Is that "success" in your opinion, TC Talks? We currently have more than twice as many people dying from Covid as even the 4th worst state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am

zzand wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:14 am
If I had tested positive and shown symptoms I would have ended up in ICU due to issues I had.
How can you say that with certainty? Or even anything approaching certainty? You may have had an elevated risk compared to the average person, but the average person, even when Covid was at its worst (and I'm talking before we even had a vaccine), had about a 5% chance of Covid putting them in the ICU.

And I'm asking that as a genuine question not to debate you, but as curiosity how people reach the conclusions they reach on this topic.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:32 am

I really think it's all like squeezing a water balloon. In the end it's all the same volume, just a different shape.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am

In all honesty BMW I can't say for sure that I would have ended up in the ICU but with the health issues I had I didn't want to take a chance. Having said that I will say I didn't miss a day of work during lock downs, went to the store weekly, was exposed to it at least 3 times I know of and have never tested positive.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am

bmw wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:17 am
Oh, and guess what else. Michigan currently ranks DEAD-WORST (no pun intended) in per-capita deaths as of late. We were 3rd or 4th worst a few months ago, we are now king - and it isn't even close!

1 - Michigan - 0.39
2 - Alaska - 0.31
3 - Massachusetts - 0.21
4 - West Virginia - 0.17
47 - North Carolina 0.04
48 - Alabama 0.03
49 - Texas 0.03
50 - North Dakota 0

Is that "success" in your opinion, TC Talks? We currently have more than twice as many people dying from Covid as even the 4th worst state.
At what point will it be when we start asking the folks at places like Trinity, Beaumont and Henry Ford why it's like that here?

Is there any competition among healthcare providers (either within the state or across the nation) to drive the fatality rate down, or is it just an "it is what it is" thing?

Should the state health department be publishing results from the different care facilities on ICU hospitalizations and fatality rates?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:26 pm

I think at this point given that we know the science fairly well that gathering fatality rate information would be reasonable. But there are some considerations, there are lots of uneducated people in rural areas and inner city that refuse vaccinations. There are a lot of people with significant health issues that would make covid a much riskier disease.

Unfortunately data when it comes to health is just not that simple. And let's face it, we've seen people like BMW use data to manipulate their own storyline. Speaking of which, when was the last time USA today updated their data? Because the data I use includes everything from day one through October 31st.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:29 pm

The charts I posted above were screenshots from the link you posted. And they match the New York Times data. The current fatality rate came from the NYT as well, and that is current as of November 28. Michigan is off the charts compared to all other states at the moment when it comes to our death rate.

And I'm not using data to manipulate anything. It is what it is. This started with you accusing Matt of being "full of shit with no substantive basis for your opinion" - his opinion being that Whitmer's handling of Covid has been a failure. I would suggest to you that our per-capita death rate, both all-time (8th worst out of 50) and current (absolute worst out of 50) constitutes a solid basis for Matt's opinion.

You're the one dancing around the data, first making up numbers on the fly, and then later making up excuses. What is the basis of YOUR opinion that "lots of uneducated people in rural area and inner city that refuse vaccinations" is the cause of Michigan's high mortality rate? Because based on all your postings in here, that appears to me to be an opinion based purely on your own personal prejudices and nothing more. The fact of the matter is that Michigan ranks #31 out of 50 states for vaccination rate - below the median, but not by a lot. Relatively speaking, we're 19th worst for vaccination rate but 8th worst for mortality rate. As such, just based on that data alone, I'd say your opinion is baseless.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:50 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am
bmw wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:17 am

1 - Michigan - 0.39
2 - Alaska - 0.31
3 - Massachusetts - 0.21
4 - West Virginia - 0.17
47 - North Carolina 0.04
48 - Alabama 0.03
49 - Texas 0.03
50 - North Dakota 0

At what point will it be when we start asking the folks at places like Trinity, Beaumont and Henry Ford why it's like that here?

Is there any competition among healthcare providers (either within the state or across the nation) to drive the fatality rate down, or is it just an "it is what it is" thing?

Should the state health department be publishing results from the different care facilities on ICU hospitalizations and fatality rates?
Michigan is one of the most obese states north of the Mason Dixon line. Secondly, if there is ever anything most people can agree on, vitamin D intake(or lack thereof) does impact the severity of cases. So, let’s not compare a Michigan apple with a Florida orange.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:19 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:50 pm
Michigan is one of the most obese states north of the Mason Dixon line.
While my initial reaction was to write this off is just another unfounded excuse for high mortality rates from Covid, you might actually be on to something. While TC Talks's contention about the "uneducated unvaccinated" being the problem has no basis in reality, obesity rates do seemingly strongly correlate with overall Covid mortality rates.

Every one of the 10 fattest states is within the 18 worst Covid-mortality rate states:

Mississippi - 40.80% (1st in mortality)
West Virginia - 39.70% (3rd in mortality)
Arkansas - 37.40% (5th in mortality)
Oklahoma - 36.80% (9th in mortality)
Kentucky - 36.50% (12th in mortality)
Tennessee - 36.50% (7th in mortality)
Alabama - 36.10% (4th in mortality)
Michigan - 36.00% (8th in mortality)
Louisiana - 35.90% (13th in mortality)
South Carolina - 35.40% (18th in mortality)

So apparently, the best advice to avoid dying from Covid is to lose some weight. And obesity is a double-edged sword since it directly correlates with diabetes. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21128002/

One interesting anomaly in the data is Arizona. They have the 2nd highest mortality rate but for no apparent reason. They're 27th in vaccination rate (so just barely below the median), 31st in obesity rate (so better than the median), and the age of their population is 38.5 which is 0.3 years below the national average. Maybe the hospitals there just suck?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic