Acceptable registrations in the queue through May 6 at 7:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bringing Skilled Labor Back

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Bringing Skilled Labor Back

Post by TC Talks » Mon May 06, 2024 10:30 am

A $100 million dollar program has been announced to get automotive suppliers updated in the US. This is a step to bringing manufacturing back to the US.

At least at Ford and GM, the EV bottle neck is at the 2nd tier supplier level. I was told this weekend from a GM guy that the supply chain is not capable of even bidding on new production projects. Hopefully this is a start to avoid looking to Asia for components.
Retooling the Supply Chain
The largest chunk of funding – $50 million through the Department of Energy – will seed federal-state partnerships helping smaller auto parts manufacturers retool their factories to produce components for EVs and modern battery systems.

An additional $50 million is earmarked for grants of up to $300,000 to implement critical energy efficiency, cybersecurity and modernization upgrades identified through federal industrial assessments.

“We’re bringing 21st century tools and resources directly to the suppliers and communities that have anchored this industry for generations,” said Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm. “By partnering across the public and private sectors, we can ensure this manufacturing future remains a source of prosperity.”

Financing the EV Transition
However, revamping auto supply lines requires significant upfront capital – a barrier the administration is aiming to clear through new lending options and investment incentives channeled through the Small Business Administration.

The SBA will leverage its Small Business Investment Company program to catalyze millions in private funding targeted at helping suppliers modernize and diversify into the booming EV sector. It is also establishing a Working Capital Pilot Program to provide credit lines and counseling so suppliers can meet new demand.

“We’re catalyzing the capital flows and business guidance this backbone of businesses needs to grow and transform for the clean transportation future,” an SBA official stated.

“Blessed are those who are righteous in his name.”
― Matt

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Round Six

Re: Bringing Skilled Labor Back

Post by Round Six » Tue May 07, 2024 1:23 pm

I like that you will preface a quote or link with an introductory paragraph or two.

So many times you see nothing but a link posted. And as you read the link, begin to realize the poster didn't understand it. Or the body of the story doesn't line up with the titillating title they gave it. Just a lazy right-click-copy right-click-paste.

Comprehension By Self Proctology.
Life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. There's no going back, and we can only go forward before we run out of runway.

Bail Bonds

Post by Bail Bonds » Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm

There will be a really long lead time between now and when that level of capacity is necessary. Let the market handle this. The government is going to foul this up and waste more of my money.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 07, 2024 3:04 pm

Bail Bonds wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:47 pm
There will be a really long lead time between now and when that level of capacity is necessary. Let the market handle this. The government is going to foul this up and waste more of my money.
Is industry responsible for training workers?

The SBA essentially supports loans when the banking industry won't (like now). The SBA actually makes interest so it is not a hand out by any means.

All this is cheaper than property tax abatement plans.

And I assure you, industry will simply buy from Asia if US suppliers can't deliver, in case you missed the past 30 years.
― Matt

Bail Bonds

Post by Bail Bonds » Tue May 07, 2024 4:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:04 pm
Bail Bonds wrote:
This response doesn't comport my post or with the content in your OP.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm

Bail Bonds wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:55 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Bail Bonds wrote:
Ah, the full story discusses job training programs too.
― Matt

Bail Bonds

Post by Bail Bonds » Tue May 07, 2024 8:07 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm
Bail Bonds wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 4:55 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Bail Bonds wrote:
Ah, the full story discusses job training programs too.
I'm sorry but how would I know this if there is no link to the story to begin with? I am not trying to be rude here, but I was relying on the evidence in the OP to offer my thoughts.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue May 07, 2024 8:10 pm

― Matt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic