Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump Runnin'

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Trump Runnin'

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:30 am

Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:23 am
Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:52 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:24 am
Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:16 am
bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:06 pm
Nope, and I didn't watch any of the speech. I was just sarcastically pointing out that if the GOP does as well in 2024 as it did a week ago, it will gain even more seats and another body of Congress.
Republicans lead by 2.5M votes overall: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022 ... lts/house/
I wonder how much of that lead represents Florida alone?
Who knows? That's a weird question from someone that advocates dumping the electoral college because it is an advantage to his party.
That’s not a weird question at all. They performed much better there than anywhere else. Don’t you have baseball to mock or something?

Secondly eliminating the electoral college benefits EVERYBODY both Democrat and Republican because both parties have to then compete for votes in all 50 states. It’s not my fault that losses over and over again haven’t caused the GOP to change direction the way every political party ON EARTH does after it loses repeatedly. It’s important to be in touch with the voters to… you know… WIN. Artificially propping up the smaller party is not doing anyone a favor.
Don't be so myopic... The electoral college is doing exactly what it was intended to do: force candidates to visit states that would have otherwise have ignored. A national popular vote would see candidates focusing on heavy population areas.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:36 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:30 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:23 am
Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:52 am
Rate This wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:24 am
Matt wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:16 am
bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:06 pm
Nope, and I didn't watch any of the speech. I was just sarcastically pointing out that if the GOP does as well in 2024 as it did a week ago, it will gain even more seats and another body of Congress.
Republicans lead by 2.5M votes overall: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022 ... lts/house/
I wonder how much of that lead represents Florida alone?
Who knows? That's a weird question from someone that advocates dumping the electoral college because it is an advantage to his party.
That’s not a weird question at all. They performed much better there than anywhere else. Don’t you have baseball to mock or something?

Secondly eliminating the electoral college benefits EVERYBODY both Democrat and Republican because both parties have to then compete for votes in all 50 states. It’s not my fault that losses over and over again haven’t caused the GOP to change direction the way every political party ON EARTH does after it loses repeatedly. It’s important to be in touch with the voters to… you know… WIN. Artificially propping up the smaller party is not doing anyone a favor.
Don't be so myopic... The electoral college is doing exactly what it was intended to do: force candidates to visit states that would have otherwise have ignored. A national popular vote would see candidates focusing on heavy population areas.
What states are they visiting they would have ignored? As it stands now they travel to maybe a dozen of them. They don’t go to Idaho, Oklahoma or Wyoming. Nor do they go to Hawaii, Vermont or Illinois. Why? Because those are in the bag already and it’s a waste of money. If both parties needed to actually compete for all those votes they would HAVE to travel there. Right now it’s a dozen swing states with large populations. They couldn’t just focus on New York City or Los Angeles or Chicago. They would have to scrounge up votes anywhere they could and cross cross the country doing it. It would also force the Republicans to develop new ideas instead of being propped up. They have won the popular vote ONCE since 1992 (2004). In other words people don’t like their ideas… that would seem to indicate new ideas are needed. But no… we have a system that artificially inflates the clout of the party to all of our detriment.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am

Matt wrote:
..... The electoral college is doing exactly what it was intended to do: force candidates to visit states that would have otherwise have ignored. A national popular vote would see candidates focusing on heavy population areas ....
That's only half of it.
A national popular vote would mean money and grants from Washington would be funneled only to states with the heaviest population areas.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:41 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am
Matt wrote:
..... The electoral college is doing exactly what it was intended to do: force candidates to visit states that would have otherwise have ignored. A national popular vote would see candidates focusing on heavy population areas ....
That's only half of it.
A national popular vote would mean money and grants from Washington would be funneled only to states with the heaviest population areas.
How do you figure? Each states elected senators and representatives bring home the bacon so to speak. Going by popular vote doesn’t change that scenario at all. If what you are saying were true then they would only be funneling the grants to 12 states right now. That’s not the case. 38 or so states are 100% ignored by candidates under our current system. Wyoming isn’t going blue even though the Republican never goes there. It’s simply taken for granted.

Under a popular vote system they would have to go to all 50 states and barnstorm the country not just go to Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Arizona. Every vote would then count for something. A Democrat in Wyoming or a Republican in Hawaii have literally worthless votes.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:08 pm

This is where I'll again chime in and advocate for a modified Electoral College - one where each state is winner-take-all for 2 electoral votes per state and the other 435 (or 437 or whatever the exact number is) are proportionately allocated within each state based on the popular vote within the state.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:08 pm
This is where I'll again chime in and advocate for a modified Electoral College - one where each state is winner-take-all for 2 electoral votes per state and the other 435 (or 437 or whatever the exact number is) are proportionately allocated within each state based on the popular vote within the state.
I will again sign on to that.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:22 pm

Except that there are many more smaller states that go red and the math hurts the Democrats just as redistricting has finally given them a fighting chance.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 pm

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:29 am
Matt wrote:
That's only half of it.
Damn straight, what a stupid idea to send assistance to places where it will help the greatest number of people...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic