Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Are you still election deniers?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**

bmw

Re: Are you still election deniers?

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm

These Republicans, former Republicans, and conservatives are tired of hearing lies that the 2020 election was stolen.
Yeah, and I'm tired of hearing the term "election denier." Denial requires personal knowledge. If you don't believe the things that are going on in your own life, you're in denial. If you don't believe things others are telling you be true, you're a skeptic. So let's at least get the terminology correct. People who believe the election was somehow stolen are "election skeptics."

Now that aside, I'm not in that boat. I don't understand how so many people still believe that it was stolen. I also don't understand why Democrats and never-Trump Republicans are so bothered by it as this phenomenon is nothing new and can be dated back to at least the 2000 election of George W. Bush.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:21 pm

I'm still willing to believe there were some irregularities, because of the conditions of the 2020 election, but I don't see any political value in it now. The only real benefit was the close scrutiny of the election process that resulted from the complaining and the reforms that followed.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:01 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm
These Republicans, former Republicans, and conservatives are tired of hearing lies that the 2020 election was stolen.
Yeah, and I'm tired of hearing the term "election denier." Denial requires personal knowledge. If you don't believe the things that are going on in your own life, you're in denial. If you don't believe things others are telling you be true, you're a skeptic. So let's at least get the terminology correct. People who believe the election was somehow stolen are "election skeptics."

Now that aside, I'm not in that boat. I don't understand how so many people still believe that it was stolen. I also don't understand why Democrats and never-Trump Republicans are so bothered by it as this phenomenon is nothing new and can be dated back to at least the 2000 election of George W. Bush.
Well said.

And can anybody really deny that that still are (and have been) nefarious attempts to skew election results?? Whether or not they rose to the level of actually throwing a race one way or the other, shouldn't we ALL be concerned about that kind of stuff and be interested in eliminating it?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:22 pm

Republicans lead the way on election fraud...

Generally anytime a Republican jumps up and down accusing someone of wrong doing, it's likely a Republican is involved and trying to deflect.
During the House Jan. 6 committee hearings in June, Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, a Black mother-daughter duo who had served as election workers in Georgia, reflected on what it was like to be on the receiving end of Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani’s conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election.

The two were targeted with death threats along with racist and sexist rants after Trump and his then-lawyer, Giuliani, spread lies alleging that a video showed the women illegally transporting votes to stuff the ballot box for Joe Biden. It was an obvious lie that was refuted by top election officials in Georgia.
https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reido ... -rcna46640
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:38 pm

Republicans call it fraud if the results aren't in their favor. Election deniers running for office is leading us down a path to an eroding democracy. Sometimes I worry if we'll ever be able to recover if those people are elected.

While there are a lot of important issues such as the economy, inflation, abortions, etc... I'm setting those aside and voting to keep and uphold our democracy. Those other things won't matter.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:16 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:38 pm
Republicans call it fraud if the results aren't in their favor. Election deniers running for office is leading us down a path to an eroding democracy. Sometimes I worry if we'll ever be able to recover if those people are elected.

While there are a lot of important issues such as the economy, inflation, abortions, etc... I'm setting those aside and voting to keep and uphold our democracy. Those other things won't matter.
I see you've got the talking points down rather well.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:43 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:16 pm
Taco wrote:

So when some of these Republicans refuse to concede in a week? Seriously some of them will cause a shit storm just like Trump has because they can’t admit defeat. At some point it’ll be a boy who cried wolf thing.

Oh and by the way… a skeptic is someone who is maybe doubting something… a denier is what these folks are doing… “NO!!!!! BIDEN IS NOT THE LEGITIMATE PRESIDENT!!!! TRUMP ACTUALLY WON AND WE NEED TO PREVENT THIS THEFT FROM OCCURRING AGAIN!!!”. Nobody is calmly skeptical in a cold logical manner here. It’s insane theories disproven again and again from people who can’t believe they lost. Normal political parties reinvent themselves all the time to win elections next time. Not the Republican Party. No sir.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:49 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:43 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:16 pm
Taco wrote:

So when some of these Republicans refuse to concede in a week? Seriously some of them will cause a shit storm just like Trump has because they can’t admit defeat. At some point it’ll be a boy who cried wolf thing.

Oh and by the way… a skeptic is someone who is maybe doubting something… a denier is what these folks are doing… “NO!!!!! BIDEN IS NOT THE LEGITIMATE PRESIDENT!!!! TRUMP ACTUALLY WON AND WE NEED TO PREVENT THIS THEFT FROM OCCURRING AGAIN!!!”. Nobody is calmly skeptical in a cold logical manner here. It’s insane theories disproven again and again from people who can’t believe they lost. Normal political parties reinvent themselves all the time to win elections next time. Not the Republican Party. No sir.
You're beginning to sound like Mrs. Clinton, but at a much higher level of full hysteria.

Stop it. 🤣
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:23 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:11 pm

Denial does not have to involve personal knowledge. A Denier is simply someone who denies something. So someone who denies that Biden won the election and says he isn’t the legitimate president due to fraud is denying the election result. Therefore that person is an election denier. You are trying to soften what it is. But skeptic simply doesn’t fit. The dictionary is your friend. A skeptic is someone who questions or doubts accepted opinions. Election results are not opinions they are facts. These people look at a blue sky and say it’s purple essentially.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 pm

Definition of skepticism:

"an attitude of doubting that claims or statements are true or that something will happen" (Oxford)

"an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object" (Merriam-Webster)

Given those definitions, I stand by my claim that skeptic is the correct word to apply to those who have doubts about the election results.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 pm
Definition of skepticism:

"an attitude of doubting that claims or statements are true or that something will happen" (Oxford)

"an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object" (Merriam-Webster)

Given those definitions, I stand by my claim that skeptic is the correct word to apply to those who have doubts about the election results.
They are doing far more than express doubt. It's not provable otherwise. A skeptic is at least open to being proved incorrect. These people have a belief. They are in denial.

Taco

Post by Taco » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:58 pm

They figure why not? Trump did it so why can't we? Such a bad precedence has been set here. As much as it pains me to say but this may be the new norm.

I think the mid terms this time around is very crucial and I hope the voter turn out is massive. This election will either set things in motion or keep us on a rational trajectory.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:16 pm

Taco wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:58 pm
They figure why not? Trump did it so why can't we? Such a bad precedence has been set here. As much as it pains me to say but this may be the new norm.

I think the mid terms this time around is very crucial and I hope the voter turn out is massive. This election will either set things in motion or keep us on a rational trajectory.
So far it is above 2018 levels but below 2018 levels. The higher the turnout the better the Democrats generally do. There is no red wave.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:17 pm

Has a single Republican ever refused to leave his/her office when his/her time was officially up? Can anybody name a single example?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic