Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What do you want?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
learn to fly

What do you want?

Post by learn to fly » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:51 pm

I want leaders who are calm and in command during important moments. The most striking part of Thursday’s hearing was the video package of Nancy Pelosi’s conduct during January 6.

Pelosi is totally composed. She follows the formalities of office in addressing the governor. She has already reached out to the Republican governor of Maryland. In asking Northam about potentially deploying his state’s national guard, she isn’t making demands—she’s evaluating options and is careful to inquire about what the rules are regarding the movement of one state’s National Guard to another jurisdiction.

No hysterics. No histrionics. No exaggerations. Pelosi is not grandstanding or complaining about how this is the worst attack in American history or about how unfairly she and her colleagues are being treated.

Whether or not your political preferences line up with Pelosi’s, hers was the kind of leadership this country needs in moments of crisis.

I want professional politicians who are capable of viewing the world rationally and working together to execute the basic functions of government.

Here’s Pelosi again, this time on the phone with Mike Pence. We only get to hear her side of the conversation, but it’s not hard to piece together what he’s saying.

Pelosi: We’re trying to figure out how we can get this job done today. We talked to Mitch about it earlier. He’s not in the room with us right now, but he was earlier and said, “Yeah, we want to expedite this” and hopefully they could confine it to just one complaint, Arizona, and then we could vote and that would be, you know, just move forward with the rest of the states. . . .

The overriding wish is to do it at the Capitol. What we are being told very directly is it’s going to take days for the Capitol to be okay again.

We have an Evangelical Republican from Indiana, who is the sitting vice president, working directly with the liberal Democrat from San Francisco in order to save the ship of state and get the job done.

That’s what I want out of American politics. I want a baseline level of professional cooperation from elected leaders that approximates Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi on the afternoon of January 6.

Let them fight about policy and legislation until the cows come home. Let the parties go to war over abortion and tax cuts and Medicare and the defense budget and all the rest. That’s great.

But I want a world where, when it comes to foundational questions such as the peaceful transition of power, those arguments all drop away and the two parties hold hands and act like professionals.

Taco

Re: What do you want?

Post by Taco » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:10 pm

I want leaders who are professional and becoming of their respective offices. I want leaders who aren't election deniers. I want leaders who aren't gonna become cultist/extremists like the MAGA crowd. I want leaders who denouce conspiracy theorists.
Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:08 pm

I’d love a Republican to tell me what they plan to do instead of attacking the other side.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm

The censorship king from out of state.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:37 pm

Someone who isn't a Conservative or a Liberal.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:37 pm
How about a working class conservative? We have one of those running I would kindly donate to you.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:02 pm

I want someone who will defend LGBT rights, support health mandates in periods of public communicable diseases, and most of all someone who can hold these capitalist thugs accountable for ripping Americans off. The level of greed at the grocery store, utility meters, and gas pumps are insane. We need to break big businesses up. Stop stuff like this merger between Kroger and Albertson’s. Break up big business like the government did with the baby bells. Big business is too big to succeed for the American people. The Democrats need to stop with the Trump pursuit and start anti trust litigation.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:07 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
How about a working class conservative? We have one of those running I would kindly donate to you.
There is little difference between Liberals and Conservatives. They both share the same pro-capitalist, anti-working class ideology. The only real difference is that Conservatives are honest and forthright about their disdain for the working class, while Liberals pretend to be our ally.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:41 pm

I want someone who wants to drastically slash the size and role of the federal government.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:07 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
There is little difference between Liberals and Conservatives. They both share the same pro-capitalist, anti-working class ideology. The only real difference is that Conservatives are honest and forthright about their disdain for the working class, while Liberals pretend to be our ally.
I say that because we have a candidate who literally has “working class conservative” on his signs…

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:59 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm

I say that because we have a candidate who literally has “working class conservative” on his signs…
If he's pretending to be working class, then he's really a closet Liberal.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:17 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:59 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:52 pm

If he's pretending to be working class, then he's really a closet Liberal.
Working class folks are currently being channeled into the “vote for us and we’ll bring back the way it was” column.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:34 pm

learn to fly wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:51 pm
I want leaders who are calm and in command during important moments. The most striking part of Thursday’s hearing was the video package of Nancy Pelosi’s conduct during January 6.

Pelosi is totally composed. She follows the formalities of office in addressing the governor. She has already reached out to the Republican governor of Maryland. In asking Northam about potentially deploying his state’s national guard, she isn’t making demands—she’s evaluating options and is careful to inquire about what the rules are regarding the movement of one state’s National Guard to another jurisdiction.

No hysterics. No histrionics. No exaggerations. Pelosi is not grandstanding or complaining about how this is the worst attack in American history or about how unfairly she and her colleagues are being treated.

Whether or not your political preferences line up with Pelosi’s, hers was the kind of leadership this country needs in moments of crisis.

I want professional politicians who are capable of viewing the world rationally and working together to execute the basic functions of government.

Here’s Pelosi again, this time on the phone with Mike Pence. We only get to hear her side of the conversation, but it’s not hard to piece together what he’s saying.

Pelosi: We’re trying to figure out how we can get this job done today. We talked to Mitch about it earlier. He’s not in the room with us right now, but he was earlier and said, “Yeah, we want to expedite this” and hopefully they could confine it to just one complaint, Arizona, and then we could vote and that would be, you know, just move forward with the rest of the states. . . .

The overriding wish is to do it at the Capitol. What we are being told very directly is it’s going to take days for the Capitol to be okay again.

We have an Evangelical Republican from Indiana, who is the sitting vice president, working directly with the liberal Democrat from San Francisco in order to save the ship of state and get the job done.

That’s what I want out of American politics. I want a baseline level of professional cooperation from elected leaders that approximates Mike Pence and Nancy Pelosi on the afternoon of January 6.

Let them fight about policy and legislation until the cows come home. Let the parties go to war over abortion and tax cuts and Medicare and the defense budget and all the rest. That’s great.

But I want a world where, when it comes to foundational questions such as the peaceful transition of power, those arguments all drop away and the two parties hold hands and act like professionals.
I'd like to see a video of what Trump was doing during the insurrection. My guess is it's not very different than going to a McDonald's and watching a fat guy wolf down a Big Mac.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:49 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:34 pm
learn to fly wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:51 pm

I'd like to see a video of what Trump was doing during the insurrection. My guess is it's not very different than going to a McDonald's and watching a fat guy wolf down a Big Mac.
One of his favorite hobbies…

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic