Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Criminal Investigation Open about Migrant Stunt

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Criminal Investigation Open about Migrant Stunt

Post by TC Talks » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:27 pm

As a nation of laws, there are consequences for abusing other humans. Now a Texas lawman is calling foul and has the means to stop these anti-Christian political stunts.

I think the days of the Republican/ Kristian love fest might be ending.
SAN ANTONIO — A county sheriff in Texas announced on Monday that he had opened a criminal investigation into flights that took 48 migrants from a shelter in San Antonio to the island resort of Martha’s Vineyard last week.

Sheriff Javier Salazar of Bexar County, which includes San Antonio, said that he had enlisted agents from his office’s organized crime task force and that it was too early to determine which laws might have been broken. But he said it was clear that many of the migrants had been misled and lured away from Texas to score political points.

The migrants, caught in a mounting political fight between Republican governors of border states and Democratic officials, were flown to Massachusetts by Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida last week. A day later, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas sent two busloads of migrants to Vice President Kamala Harris’s residence in Washington.

A migrant appears to have been paid to recruit other Venezuelan migrants, who have been crossing the southwest border in greater numbers, from the area around a migrant resource center in San Antonio, Sheriff Salazar said. The migrants were “lured under false pretenses” with promises of work and a better life, he added.

“They had a right to walk around the streets just like you and me, and they had a right not to be preyed on and played for a fool and transported halfway across the country, just for the sake of a media event or a video opportunity,” Sheriff Salazar, a Democrat, said. “That’s a tragedy.”
ny times

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: Criminal Investigation Open about Migrant Stunt

Post by Rate This » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:05 pm

Then there’s this from the Miami Herald… details about how the migrants were lured away… what the two planes did in Florida (refuel) and how they were given pamphlets supposedly printed by Massachusetts that told the migrants how to get aid that turn out to be fakes. This is really a shady deal here… DeSantis is actually pretty lousy at this game if these allegations turn out to be true. This is an amateur hour scheme… maybe he should stick to being Governor… becoming Teflon Ron is probably not in the cards.

San Antonio, Texas — Authorities in Texas have opened a criminal investigation into Gov. Ron DeSantis’ operation to fly roughly 50 Venezuela migrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard last week.
Bexar County Sheriff Javier Salazar said in a news release Monday that his office is investigating whether the migrants were the victims of a crime.
“The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office has opened an investigation into the migrants that were lured from the Migrant Resource Center, located in Bexar County, TX, and flown to Florida, where they were ultimately left to fend for themselves in Martha’s Vineyard, MA,” said Salazar, referring to an aid center for migrants in San Antonio, which is in Bexar County.
Salazar said his office was working with private attorneys for the migrants, as well as advocacy groups.
“We are also preparing to work with any federal agencies that have concurrent jurisdiction, should the need arise,” added Salazar, who is a Democrat.
Several migrants said that a woman known as “Perla” approached them outside the migrant center and offered them jobs and assistance if they flew to Massachusetts. Those claims turned out to be false as officials on Martha’s Vineyard were unprepared for their arrival Wednesday.
In addition, brochures provided to the migrants said they could receive cash assistance and employment services in Massachusetts. The brochures included the phone number and website of the Massachusetts Office for Refugees and Immigrants. The office said it did not print the brochures, which were shared with the Herald by Lawyers for Civil Rights, a Boston-based legal group representing some of the migrants.
DeSantis has taken responsibility for the two charter flights, saying they were conducted with Florida taxpayer money. All the migrants boarded in San Antonio, although the planes stopped in Florida’s Panhandle to refuel.
The governor’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
https://apple.news/AQYgtIQ3TTla1SmF7GC1NxA

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 am

Well this stunt will definitely make it harder for him in national politics.

There are only two states that would put up with this kind of nonsense and both of those governors made the same stupid mistake.

This was a very non-presidential move and I think if DeSantis runs for president it will be a easy win for the democrats.

Only tools would get behind someone this cruel.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 pm

This is all shades of Hitler. Remember that the Jews were promised great things as they hopped into the train car.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:02 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:02 pm
This is all shades of Hitler. Remember that the Jews were promised great things as they hopped into the train car.
Shut the fuck up with comparing EVERY Republican to Hitler.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 am
I think if DeSantis runs for president it will be a easy win for the democrats.
Would you like to place a wager on that one? Right now, Trump leads Biden by double digits in Ohio, 5 points in North Carolina, 3 points in Nevada, and trails by 1 point in Wisconsin. He even leads nationally by a fraction of a point (meaning polling suggests he would win the popular vote). And that's Trump - you know, the person you believe belongs in prison for multiple alleged crimes. And you think Biden would have a much easier time beating DeSantis? Based on what evidence/reasoning? Most Trump supporters would be onboard with DeSantis as would most never-Trump Republicans. He's the one person who I think could bridge that gap.

And if you think Biden won't be the nominee (I'm actually leaning right now in the direction that he won't run for a second term), who does your side have that would mop the floor with DeSantis? Newsom? Harris? Buttigieg? Bernie? Liz? Hillary? AOC?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:32 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:17 am
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:44 am
I think if DeSantis runs for president it will be a easy win for the democrats.
Would you like to place a wager on that one? Right now, Trump leads Biden by double digits in Ohio, 5 points in North Carolina, 3 points in Nevada, and trails by 1 point in Wisconsin. He even leads nationally by a fraction of a point (meaning polling suggests he would win the popular vote). And that's Trump - you know, the person you believe belongs in prison for multiple alleged crimes. And you think Biden would have a much easier time beating DeSantis? Based on what evidence/reasoning? Most Trump supporters would be onboard with DeSantis as would most never-Trump Republicans. He's the one person who I think could bridge that gap.

And if you think Biden won't be the nominee (I'm actually leaning right now in the direction that he won't run for a second term), who does your side have that would mop the floor with DeSantis? Newsom? Harris? Buttigieg? Bernie? Liz? Hillary? AOC?
Either Newsom or Buttogieg out of that list. I wouldn’t put any stock in polls of 2024 right now. DeSantis may be able to unify the wings of the party but said party remains the smaller of the two. Ohio and North Carolina are not needed for a Democrat to win at this point. They are essential for a Republican though. Hell… in 2 years some chunk of the current Republican coalition will be dead… the large majority of the party is pretty old. So there are really no tea leaves to read here.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am

Newsom currently leads all the non-Biden candidates (at least among bettors). I don't think his brand of California liberalism would play well in the Rust Belt. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict that if Biden doesn't run and Newsom gets the nomination, the Republican will take Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and will make it damn close in Minnesota. In terms of electoral votes, I don't think it would even be close.

Buttigieg is a lightweight.

As to the future of the Republican party, it needs to get back to its primary platform being that of smaller government. And it needs a leader who can communicate to younger people the virtues of smaller government over that of government handouts and government regulating anything and everything. The party as a whole has certainly strayed from this message over the past few decades.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:45 am

Clearly you don't realize how offensive and hurtful statements like this really are. Everytime you say this, you:

- Minimize what happened in the 1940s. I suggest a visit to the Holocaust Center in Farmington Hills to educate yourself.
- Display that while you are quick to be offended and angered about statements others make about LGBTQ+ issues, you have no issue with doing THE EXACT SAME THING when it comes to your flat out ignorance about the differences between our toxic political environment and what it was actually like in Europe during WWII.

Stop being lazy. Educate yourself.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:53 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am
Newsom currently leads all the non-Biden candidates (at least among bettors). I don't think his brand of California liberalism would play well in the Rust Belt. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict that if Biden doesn't run and Newsom gets the nomination, the Republican will take Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and will make it damn close in Minnesota. In terms of electoral votes, I don't think it would even be close.

Buttigieg is a lightweight.

As to the future of the Republican party, it needs to get back to its primary platform being that of smaller government. And it needs a leader who can communicate to younger people the virtues of smaller government over that of government handouts and government regulating anything and everything. The party as a whole has certainly strayed from this message over the past few decades.
Young people (of which there are more and more voters as a share the pie every day due to the demographic makeup of the Republicans) are turned off by all of that. The time will come sooner or later where the Republicans will have to drastically alter their message or perish. Around 2040 their coalition will be regional in nature. They barely have enough now to make a go of it nationally. Trumpism wont get it done. Maybe if they return to Reaganism in earnest but I don’t see that happening. They are turning into something with strong desire for an authoritarian style that ostensibly kicks asses and takes names. That’s not going to cut it either in a cycle or two. The country on the whole is gonna lurch to the left in the next few decades. It’s just a matter of math and demographics.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:11 am

I find the argument that the Republican party is the more "authoritarian" party to be utterly absurd.

Definition (Oxford) - "favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom."

That definition describes right to a tee the way most Democrat politicians handled the Covid pandemic. Nothing Republicans have done in the past decade comes even close. If you want to rest your case on the issue of abortion, have at it.

I unfortunately agree that the country is lurching left, but I don't think it is just a matter of math and demographics. I think it is more a matter of who currently controls the majority of our educational institutions, media outlets, and more recently - social media.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:15 am

Robert Faygo wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:45 am
Clearly you don't realize how offensive and hurtful statements like this really are. Everytime you say this, you:

- Minimize what happened in the 1940s. I suggest a visit to the Holocaust Center in Farmington Hills to educate yourself.
- Display that while you are quick to be offended and angered about statements others make about LGBTQ+ issues, you have no issue with doing THE EXACT SAME THING when it comes to your flat out ignorance about the differences between our toxic political environment and what it was actually like in Europe during WWII.

Stop being lazy. Educate yourself.
This is more eloquent than how I responded.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:11 am
I find the argument that the Republican party is the more "authoritarian" party to be utterly absurd.

Definition (Oxford) - "favoring or enforcing strict obedience to authority, especially that of the government, at the expense of personal freedom."

That definition describes right to a tee the way most Democrat politicians handled the Covid pandemic. Nothing Republicans have done in the past decade comes even close. If you want to rest your case on the issue of abortion, have at it.

I unfortunately agree that the country is lurching left, but I don't think it is just a matter of math and demographics. I think it is more a matter of who currently controls the majority of our educational institutions, media outlets, and more recently - social media.
The party favors strongman candidates these days. Ostensibly they like freedom… but only if it’s their version of it. So if a community makes a decision somewhere they don’t like because of their culture war attitude it becomes A BIG FRIGGIN DEAL (TM)… a community who wants to have certain books in its library or teach diversity a certain way… those are local decisions. A community making that choice in Virginia shouldn’t have people in Oklahoma up in arms about it. Not their business. That’s what I was under the impression conservative doctrine was about. Leave most decisions to local folks and that’s ok. But that doesn’t seem to be practiced at all. They are very much big government but to achieve their own means…. Many of those policies are deeply unpopular that they push. And they’re not enacting or stopping most of what they run around talking about while scaring the living daylights out of older white folks speaks volumes about how much they actually care about these issues. Critical Race Theory is a great example… it’s not taught in any primary school in the land… it’s a doctoral law level concept, that’s where it’s discussed… and yet Republicans are running around acting like it’s EVERYWHERE about to capture and eat your children alive.

Abortion would be one issue they are definitely trying to go that way. But most of it isn’t so much trying to make people adhere to policy… it’s the tactics and style that are most reminiscent of more authoritarian tendencies. Trump was like that, DeSantis is like that. Both are bullies that try to bend their enemies to their will. Look at what they did to Disney. Essentially stop being woke or we take your district away. That’s not normal… that’s what dictators do to get folks in line. He’s baited ex-cons into committing fraud after encouraging them to legally register and pulling the rug out from under them and holding them up as examples of fraud. These are key characteristics of those kinds of folks.. none of that behavior is normal.

Regardless of the reasons if the Republican Party doesn’t find a way to adapt to the younger folks they are gonna be a regional party.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:58 am

RT - My main response to all of the above is that you're throwing an awful lot of stones from a glass house. Your side hates allowing local communities to make their own decisions. Democrats have a one-size-fits-all solution for everybody and everything. And you're free to do whatever you want, so long as you get the jab and wear your mask and shut down your business when the government tells you to shut it down, keep your thermostat at 78 when its really hot outside, and so long as your behavior doesn't contribute to climate change, or discriminate against some minority (which is basically anybody who isn't a white male), or unfairly make yourself wealthier than others. I could go on, and on, and on...

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:11 am

I've been hearing talk of how The GOP wants to lure in Hispanic voters, more like pack them up like cattle. It's like the story of the chicken that voted for Col. Sanders.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic