Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2022 Railroad Strike

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 15846

2022 Railroad Strike

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 am

How long until we have endure the talk of "The evils of Unions" and how "wonderful" right to work for less states are for employees the fascist right.

I am holding out hope that such a issue will be averted but I see the principle here. After so many years of workers having to make concession after concession after concession, one gets to a point where, you have to say " what are they going to wrangle out of me next?".

It's a very tough situation but it's time The Kings and Queens of corporate "merica" got reminded who really makes things happen and work.

Matt

Re: 2022 Railroad Strike

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 am

Mr. Peabody wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 am
How long until we have endure the talk of "The evils of Unions" and how "wonderful" right to work for less states are for employees the fascist right.

I am holding out hope that such a issue will be averted but I see the principle here. After so many years of workers having to make concession after concession after concession, one gets to a point where, you have to say " what are they going to wrangle out of me next?".

It's a very tough situation but it's time The Kings and Queens of corporate "merica" got reminded who really makes things happen and work.
Get the fuck out with your bullshit of if you don't support unions, you're a fascist.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:03 am

Tentative deal reached and strike averted.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:02 pm

Next question, will the Fed rate hike be a full point? Will 8ish% be the new modern mortgage rate as it was in the Clinton years when the economy was booming? Will young people see this amount as highway robbery even though middle aged and older Americans grew up with these rates?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:36 pm

I think the next rate hike will be at least 75 basis points. A full percent is certainly possible.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:41 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:03 am
Tentative deal reached and strike averted.
Good news. A win for collective bargaining.

In Canada, instead of letting collective bargaining work, our extreme right wing government usually steps in to block it when there's even a hint of a possible strike.

Good for USA. :D
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:01 am

Matt wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 am
Mr. Peabody wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 am

Get the fuck out with your bullshit of if you don't support unions, you're a fascist.
Following your comments, you've said many short sided things but this has to be the shortest of them. Now, are you are aware of how labour unions even operate? My intuition tells me you've never worked in a Union shop.

Well if I have to leave, then who says you get to stay?

kager

Post by kager » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:22 am

A Stain On The Dignity Of A Talking Cartoon Dog With Glasses wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:01 am
Following your comments, you've said many short sided things but this has to be the shortest of them. Now, are you are aware of how labour unions even operate? My intuition tells me you've never worked in a Union shop.

Well if I have to leave, then who says you get to stay?
You know what they say, "Don't go away mad..."
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:38 am

Seems like the workers got a pretty sweet deal out of this. Did they really deserve it, or is this just another thing that's going to hike inflation because of higher shipping costs?? Consumers will be paying for the increases.

I'd be curious to know what the real (complete) benefits packages for these folks who are getting the big increases and bonuses. Do they still get defined retirement plans? Why are "railroad benefits" treated separately in the tax code (seems like there is ALWAYS a line in the tax forms to fill out)?

MAYBE they deserved it, MAYBE they didn't. I just don't know yet, but it certainly seemed like the government strong-armed the companies to cave to demands based on the few news reports I've seen.

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:30 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:38 am

I'd be curious to know what the real (complete) benefits packages for these folks who are getting the big increases and bonuses. Do they still get defined retirement plans? Why are "railroad benefits" treated separately in the tax code (seems like there is ALWAYS a line in the tax forms to fill out)?
As far as your "railroad benefits" question is concerned, railroad workers have their own "Social Security" program and have never paid into SS nor received benefits either. My grandfather worked for the C&O railroad and almost blew a gasket when Nixon tried to get a hold of those Railroad funds. Nixon did not succeed and the programs remains separate today.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:16 pm

bugzapper wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:30 am
km1125 wrote:
As far as your "railroad benefits" question is concerned, railroad workers have their own "Social Security" program and have never paid into SS nor received benefits either. My grandfather worked for the C&O railroad and almost blew a gasket when Nixon tried to get a hold of those Railroad funds. Nixon did not succeed and the programs remains separate today.
I did some poking around after I made that post and it does appear there's a way for folks to collect both RRRI (rr retirement income) and SS. There is a reduction in one or the other when you qualify, but it's not clear if that's a 1:1 ratio. Looks like the RRRI is pretty lucrative though, so I'd bet they'd rather stay with that then be moved over to SS.

Governments need to get rid of defined benefits plans.

bugzapper

Post by bugzapper » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:24 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:16 pm
bugzapper wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:30 am
km1125 wrote:
I did some poking around after I made that post and it does appear there's a way for folks to collect both RRRI (rr retirement income) and SS. There is a reduction in one or the other when you qualify, but it's not clear if that's a 1:1 ratio. Looks like the RRRI is pretty lucrative though, so I'd bet they'd rather stay with that then be moved over to SS.

Governments need to get rid of defined benefits plans.
Too bad the RRRI cannot manage SS. SS probably be in a better situation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic