Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

First Capitol Rioter to Face Trial Gets 7 Years

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

First Capitol Rioter to Face Trial Gets 7 Years

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm

When the ignorant break the law...

Hope he enjoys his time in "Pound you on the ass"* prison like he enjoys his gun. Trumpards, they sure are fun to watch.
WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Monday sentenced Guy Wesley Reffitt, the first defendant to go on trial in the Justice Department’s sprawling criminal inquiry into the Jan. 6 attack, to more than seven years in prison, the longest sentence to date in a case stemming from the Capitol riot.

After a nearly six-hour sentencing hearing, Judge Dabney L. Friedrich handed down a sentence at the low end of the sentencing guideline range. She noted that was still significantly longer than any given so far to any of the more than 800 people arrested in connection with the riot, many of whom have struck plea bargains.

A jury found Mr. Reffitt guilty on five counts in March, including obstructing Congress’s certification of the 2020 presidential election and carrying a .40-caliber pistol with him during the riot. Unlike others who breached the building, Mr. Reffitt did not go inside.

The sentencing capped a trial that was seen as an important test for the Justice Department, which is only beginning the marathon process of trying what could be scores of rioters. In particular, prosecutors and defense lawyers had been watching to see how the obstruction charge, a rarely used count central to many of the cases yet to reach trial, would hold up in court.

But Judge Friedrich described Mr. Reffitt’s case as somewhat unusual on account of threats of violence he also made against his children when he discovered he might be swept up in the federal investigation after the riot. In March, Mr. Reffitt’s son, Jackson Reffitt, took the stand to testify that his father had become radicalized in the months leading up to the attack, and threatened both him and his sister in an attempt to dissuade them from speaking to authorities.
*From the film Office Space

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Re: First Capitol Rioter to Face Trial Gets 7 Years

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:52 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm

Hope he enjoys his time in "Pound you on the ass"* prison like he enjoys his gun. Trumpards, they sure are fun to watch.
WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Monday sentenced Guy Wesley Reffitt, the first defendant to go on trial in the Justice Department’s sprawling criminal inquiry into the Jan. 6 attack, to more than seven years in prison, the longest sentence to date in a case stemming from the Capitol riot.

After a nearly six-hour sentencing hearing, Judge Dabney L. Friedrich handed down a sentence at the low end of the sentencing guideline range. She noted that was still significantly longer than any given so far to any of the more than 800 people arrested in connection with the riot, many of whom have struck plea bargains.

A jury found Mr. Reffitt guilty on five counts in March, including obstructing Congress’s certification of the 2020 presidential election and carrying a .40-caliber pistol with him during the riot. Unlike others who breached the building, Mr. Reffitt did not go inside.

The sentencing capped a trial that was seen as an important test for the Justice Department, which is only beginning the marathon process of trying what could be scores of rioters. In particular, prosecutors and defense lawyers had been watching to see how the obstruction charge, a rarely used count central to many of the cases yet to reach trial, would hold up in court.

But Judge Friedrich described Mr. Reffitt’s case as somewhat unusual on account of threats of violence he also made against his children when he discovered he might be swept up in the federal investigation after the riot. In March, Mr. Reffitt’s son, Jackson Reffitt, took the stand to testify that his father had become radicalized in the months leading up to the attack, and threatened both him and his sister in an attempt to dissuade them from speaking to authorities.
If he threatened his own children over this then this man has serious issues… the 7 years is probably too light. Needs some psych ward time to go with it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:41 pm

He looks like he's a threat to Dunkin'

The article suggests he's nuts. But who wasn't that day? They were all a pack of deplorable outcasts.

Hopefully Trump will be protected too. Justice seems to be encouraged by their success.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:35 pm

Charter member of Meal Team 6

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:13 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:14 pm

The quote is "pound you IN the ass prison."

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:35 pm

There could be a pardon in his future. Perhaps even a Presidential Medal of Freedom in his future.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 am

Good! lock all these treasonous louses up!

So... I wonder if by any chance anyone on this board was at the capital on January 6th, 2021? Was it cold or did the spirit of the day warm your little heart?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:06 pm

The Trumpers who post on this board are too lazy to do anything but State their opinions. You missed all the fun watching them all disavow Trump once it seemed that his time in office was inevitably ended. Nowadays you won't get anyone who claims to like the bastard.

I think the January 6th commission is really doing some tremendous work at protecting the Constitution and our freedom.

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:13 pm

I was hoping to see the "watch your cornhole" line from Office Space.

I agree with Rate This that the sentence seems too light.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:34 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:13 pm
I was hoping to see the "watch your cornhole" line from Office Space.
It's the movie that keeps on giving.

― Noam Chomsky

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:22 pm

I hope to God they get that poor kid to witness protection.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:06 pm
The Trumpers who post on this board are too lazy to do anything but State their opinions. You missed all the fun watching them all disavow Trump once it seemed that his time in office was inevitably ended. Nowadays you won't get anyone who claims to like the bastard.

I think the January 6th commission is really doing some tremendous work at protecting the Constitution and our freedom.
I'm quite new here but after reading many past posts, this is the impression I got. Which ever way the wind blows and the like.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:46 pm

Mr. Peabody wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 am
TC Talks wrote:

I'm quite new here but after reading many past posts, this is the impression I got. Which ever way the wind blows and the like.
You're not new here, Brian.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:59 am

I've never met this man nor have I met that other character you accuse me of being. This is getting a tad annoying.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:45 pm

Matt wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:46 pm
Mr. Peabody wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:04 am
TC Talks wrote:

You're not new here, Brian.
Which one was Brian again?

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic