Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Churches touting politicians should pay taxes

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Churches touting politicians should pay taxes

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:26 am

Pew just put out a very interesting study about politics and Christianity. I think it's time churches start paying taxes like everyone else. The tax-free benefit was as a result of the good that churches used to give back to communities. But with the Evangelical movement and the prosperity faith ideal that just isn't happening anymore. Nowadays Evangelical religion is merely a tax free way to campaign.
Pew Research Center surveys in recent years have shown that far more Americans support than oppose the separation of church and state, although there sometimes are divisions on these questions by political identity and religious affiliation.

Here are 10 facts about some of the connections between religion and government in the U.S. – and the public’s current views on the matter – based on previously published analyses by the Center.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... ed-states/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 15846

Re: Churches touting politicians should pay taxes

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:53 pm

I very much agree, also a lot of these very large McChurch's are skirting The Johnson Amendment right up to it's line.

The bible says one needs to pay there fair share to creaser and it's time these institutions did.

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:05 pm

The IRS could really strike gold by going after churches. For churches who don't pay local taxes: No cops, no fire department, no trash pick-up, and nobody shovels snow off the streets in fron of churches.
The reason churches claim the right to people's money: When the Israelites invaded Cannan, 11 of the tribes were given land. The 12th tribe, the Levites, were in charge of the temple and did not get land, so everybody else was supposed to give them 10 percent of their income. In the middle ages, the church claimed to be above any government and demanded payments from kings, princes, dukes....
Unfortunately, no politician has the backbone to stand up to the Bible Bangers.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:40 pm

Pew Research investigaing churches? :blink

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:03 pm

Are there any specific churches touting politicians you can cite?

Unlike abortion, religion is actually covered in the constitution.
One could make an argument that taxing them is, in part, prohibiting the free exercise.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:32 pm

We have a wall between church and state for a reason. Both corrupt each other.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:56 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:03 pm
Are there any specific churches touting politicians you can cite?

Unlike abortion, religion is actually covered in the constitution.
One could make an argument that taxing them is, in part, prohibiting the free exercise.
I disagree with that. You can still worship whomever you want, but do it on your own property. If a bunch of folks want to band together and buy a H*** piece of property and put up a H*** building to worship, good for them, but they really should be contributing to the local government(s) just like anybody else who would have bought that property by paying property taxes like anybody else so that the infrastructure around them can be maintained.

Income taxes, different story. There does need to be some modifications done to the tax code for ALL of us, and a big part of that would be simplification. As such, there are probably some modifications to what a "non-profit" or "not for profit" can deduct that wouldn't be subject to income taxes too.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:10 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:32 pm
We are in agreement.
Let's focus this on Metro Detroit.

Just where are the "mega" churches? Where are the Taj Mahal's that take up a city block?
Where are the 1500 seat auditoriums that politicians go to campaign from the pulpit, and seek the blessing of the senior pastor that's wearing more bling than Flavor Flav?

What's the chances Lansing and Washington are going to get away with taxing the churches that can make or break an election?

In the words of Senator Clay Davis:
"sheeeeeeeee-it".

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:10 pm
We are in agreement.

Just where are the "mega" churches? Where are the Taj Mahal's that take up a city block?
Where are the 1500 seat auditoriums that politicians go to campaign from the pulpit, and seek the blessing of the senior pastor that's wearing more bling than Flavor Flav?

What's the chances Lansing and Washington are going to get away with taxing the churches that can make or break an election?

"sheeeeeeeee-it".
Places like that Fieldstone Church in Plymouth Township are certainly enormous buildings too. Massive churches aren’t a monopoly among folks in Detroit proper. Often times your more radical ones will give sermons that tie into a political agenda. They don’t endorse anybody directly which would be illegal but the folks that attend can see which way the wind is blowing with hints and then vote accordingly. This is something that’s not exactly a secret among observers of the evangelical movement.

I say tax them and tax universities too. Both are businesses.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 pm
In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:10 pm
We are in agreement.

"sheeeeeeeee-it".
Places like that Fieldstone Church in Plymouth Township are certainly enormous buildings too. Massive churches aren’t a monopoly among folks in Detroit proper. Often times your more radical ones will give sermons that tie into a political agenda. They don’t endorse anybody directly which would be illegal but the folks that attend can see which way the wind is blowing with hints and then vote accordingly. This is something that’s not exactly a secret among observers of the evangelical movement.

I say tax them and tax universities too. Both are businesses.
Greater Grace Temple? Straight Gate? Second Ebenezer? All within the city of Detroit and make a killing.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:53 pm

Rate This wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:22 pm
Places like that Fieldstone Church in Plymouth Township are certainly enormous buildings too. Massive churches aren’t a monopoly among folks in Detroit proper ....
.... I say tax them and tax universities too. Both are businesses.
Fair enough.
So circling back to what I said earlier. Just how much of the parishioners at these XXL churches can be motivated to encourage elected officials to not even think about taxing religion? You say, and I agree, campus churches wield more than a little political muscle.

Just let that preacher get up and start telling the faithful that the government wants to start taxing their tithes.

Sheeeeeeeee-it

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 pm

Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 pm

Greater Grace Temple? Straight Gate? Second Ebenezer? All within the city of Detroit and make a killing.
And I know for a fact that at least two of the three invite Democrat candidates to address the congregants.

I always wondered how these good Baptist folks could square supporting pro abortion candidates.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:43 pm

Who cares which politician...

Let's not forget the holding company known as the Catholic "Rape em young" Church. It's more akin to a criminal enterprise.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:16 am

Bryce wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 pm
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:37 pm

And I know for a fact that at least two of the three invite Democrat candidates to address the congregants.

I always wondered how these good Baptist folks could square supporting pro abortion candidates.
Religion really is whatever you make it… just ask the westboro folks or the Christian Scientists or the Jehovahs Witnesses…

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:38 am

It's just an evil joke on mankind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic