Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mr.Peabody's corner- Ok Boomer.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 15846

Mr.Peabody's corner- Ok Boomer.

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:21 pm

The popular trend seems to be to blame Millennials and generation Z on what's going wrong in the world and yes there are some self centered little brats, as I've mention but I think something is lost here.

What is lost in the argument is that Baby Boomers seem to want to take NO responsibility in why thing are the way they are. I've heard the argument from the angry aging boomers that live in a condo in Florida(because they could afford to retire), that " these Millennials are spending too much money" " when I was 31 I owned 2 cars, 2 houses and both were paid for" .

My response is (and I'm thinking in a United States frame of mine).

Lets see... in 1979, most jobs had full paid for employer insurance that covered most everything with no co-pays or bills.

The same home that cost $45,000, in say The Detroit area( Royal Oak, Livonia, Pleasant Ridge) is now worth 200k or over depending. An average new car would be around $6000. Now a new car is out of reach for most and the payment is as much as most homes!

Not all but many had Labour Union protections, which meant many got a pension, had less of a chance of getting sacked for minor infractions, and health insurance after they retired.

Boomers sold themselves out royally, voted for far right wing leaders(The UK did somewhat the same), established this selfish " I got mine" arsehole attitude and overall left a trail of destruction behind.

Maybe the pharse " How dare you" is appropriate this in this context. Believe me, no one cries cherry sized tears more then boomer. It's time to move on put some of these policy's to rest.

km1125

Re: Mr.Peabody's corner- Ok Boomer.

Post by km1125 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm

The Boomers biggest mistake was not raising the Millenials and GenZ folks with the right expectations and responsibilities.

Most Boomers actually had paying jobs (starting wages, but decent earnings) when they were early TEENAGERS, usually starting out with something like a paper route in PRE-TEEN years, then working up to a W2 job.

I agree that the Boomers own quite a bit of the blame for the downfall in current society because of that.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:14 pm

My wife and I are boomers with 5 millennial daughters, 4 son' in laws and one ex son in law we are very fond of.
They all have good paying jobs, own homes, drive nice cars. They are happy successful people.
One thing they don't do is bitch about boomers giving them a raw deal.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:38 pm

Rate This?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:50 pm

I call bullshit.

When I purchased my first home in 1980 I was making a tad over 11,000,00 per year at my main job. The home I purchased was a fixer upper for 37,000.00 at 11 percent interest. Now, I also had two side hustles that brought in just a tad under 10,000.00 per year and I used hat to upgrade the fixer upper and with my sweat equity from doing most of the work myself, the house appraised for 68.000.00 two years later.

Point being, with the rise in income to what it is today, a 200,000.00 home at 4 percent interest is about on par. Maybe even a bit less. Of course, in 1980 I didn't have 250.00 a month in cell phone, internet and cable going out that I could use to pay a mortgage. I only had one TV too. Don't think I purchased my first computer till around 1984. It was a Commodore.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 pm

My confidence remains at 95% that it is LL. I'll give him/her a B+ for effort this time around at disguise, but I see through it.

If it isn't LL, then it is one of our other left-leaning regulars having fun. It isn't RT as the apparent age of the poster is considerably older. Lester, TC Talks, and Screen Glare would be the candidates, but this doesn't seem like any of them either.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:22 pm

I can assure you Peabody is not LL.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:38 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 pm
My confidence remains at 95% that it is LL. I'll give him/her a B+ for effort this time around at disguise, but I see through it.

LL/Pee body is just softening us up for the sucker punch.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 pm

Boomer here.... purchased my 1 and only house in 83 at 11 3/4% both worked to pay the bills and would wonder how my folks raised 7 kids and built a house on 1 income. I think times have changed and one of the areas is the 24-7 way work is now. I remember almost always having weekends free but the later part of my work life it was 12 hour shift, (straight time for the extra hours worked due to the owners creative HR designations). Also mandatory extra days and weekends. There were days when it looked like the walking dead moving the product. There were stories of potential hires just saying "No thank you" in the interview when the hours and benefits pkg.
My kids find themselves in this new 'era' of working extra scheduled days on the weekend. Child care? that's your problem! No show? don't plan on being here for long. (noting the job requires a min. Masters degree) Another offspring worked 24hr shift up to 4 times a week for about $15 an hour.

I don't blame the younger ones feeling like the odds are stacked against them. Most will tough it out and do ok. Do yourself a favor and have a chat with some millinnials and try to understand how the pressures on them is much different than the ones we dealt with. It has become a more service based economy and not the old, just going over to Ford or GM and get a decent paying job with little or no experience.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:07 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 pm

If it isn't LL, then it is one of our other left-leaning regulars having fun. It isn't RT as the apparent age of the poster is considerably older. Lester, TC Talks, and Screen Glare would be the candidates, but this doesn't seem like any of them either.
It's Brian from Toledo. He's had many accounts through the years, but this is very clearly NOT LL101.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:13 pm

It’s definitely Brian.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:56 am

I'm this person and I'm that person.

You say tah-may-toe, I say Tah-Mah-toe.

1+1 makes 3.

Here today gone tomorrow

What's old is new.

Loving life? One does there best but some days no

Does anyone know Madonna's true hair color?

Do you run out of Cold Cuts, Toilet Paper, and Milk at the same time? You know it's true!

Paraguay and Uruguay location and differences between the 2? do you know?

Why does a duck stick it's bum up when it eats? I don't know and neither do you.

Oldies but goodies

Hang on sloopy were on a roll.....

Jesus loves you but everyone else thinks your an arsehole.....

But really... There are guess and there are facts. A guess is a guess, a fact is a fact. If you don't have proof it's a guess.

Big 10, more like big 0

Will The Tigers go to the world series?

Will The Lions ever go to the superbowl? Hey! Lions VS Browns? Could it happen?

Na-Na why don't you get a job?

You know... were really just passing through time, life is a journey. So are we time travelers? are we just little ants in one of those holiday balls with water people shake up, and watch the snow fall?

WOXY 97.7fm The Future of rock

Were coming in from The Desert on 103.9fm, Where is Steve anyway?

Life is so full of questions, we will never be able to answer them all will we? I won't nor will any of you. Languages, facts, artifacts, so many things.

Won't you please, please tell me what we've learned?
I know it sounds absurd
Please tell me who I am.....

Deleted User 15846

Post by Deleted User 15846 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:58 am

Also to wrap this up correctly.

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll centre of a tootsie pop? The world many never know....

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:38 pm
Rate This?
Did you bring me out of hiding for a reason?

Part of the problem with the boomers is that they are hanging on for too long… we are about 10 years removed from the oldest of them pushing 85 for gods sakes. How long can the status quo group of 30 years ago stick around? And don’t tell me it’s some sort of “we want what’s best for you” thing either… the generation gap is so large you could drive a Mack truck through it so any major changes boomers make to satisfy themselves and party like it’s 1952 may cause riots in the streets.

There will come a time around 2035-2040 when the boomers will be nearly completely irrelevant. When we get there we will get some meaningful change and the dam will break. Given the makeup of millennials and gen Z politically it will be a large leftward lurch. They actually have the ability to do this now… millenials are the largest bloc of people in the US… we just don’t vote as reliably as boomers do.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:37 am

Rate This wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 pm
Bryce wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:38 pm
Rate This?
Did you bring me out of hiding for a reason?

Part of the problem with the boomers is that they are hanging on for too long… we are about 10 years removed from the oldest of them pushing 85 for gods sakes. How long can the status quo group of 30 years ago stick around? And don’t tell me it’s some sort of “we want what’s best for you” thing either… the generation gap is so large you could drive a Mack truck through it so any major changes boomers make to satisfy themselves and party like it’s 1952 may cause riots in the streets.

There will come a time around 2035-2040 when the boomers will be nearly completely irrelevant. When we get there we will get some meaningful change and the dam will break. Given the makeup of millennials and gen Z politically it will be a large leftward lurch. They actually have the ability to do this now… millenials are the largest bloc of people in the US… we just don’t vote as reliably as boomers do.
And that will be the final nail in the "Great Experiment".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic