Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MI Supreme Court bans discrimination based on sexual orientation

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MotorCityRadioFreak

Re: MI Supreme Court bans discrimination based on sexual orientation

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:38 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:09 pm
bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:29 pm
Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:25 pm
No - this is about right and wrong. Discrimination based on religious bigotry is wrong.
Fine. But once again, just don't call yourself a Constitutional Conservative. It is not the role of the judicial branch of government to re-write the law. That is the role of the legislative branch. And if the legislative branch isn't doing what you want it to do, that is what we have elections for.
What an odd response...

How do you feel about the emancipation proclamation?
By Beavis’ same logic, we should also oppose Loving too.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:29 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:25 pm

No - this is about right and wrong. Discrimination based on religious bigotry is wrong.
Then lobby the legislature to correct the law as is in their purview. Brian hit the nail on the head with his dissent.

Remember Matt, Judicial activism can swing both ways. No pun intended.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:37 am

Matt wrote:

That didn't come from the judicial branch, it came from the executive branch. You know, as old Barry once said, "I've got a pen."

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:45 am

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:38 pm

By Beavis’ same logic, we should also oppose Loving too.
Being as the 14th amendment, along with the Equal Protection Clause contained within, was written specifically to protect the rights of Black citizens, the ruling in Loving was absolutely correct.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:04 am

I agree with the dissenting justices.

The intent of the 1976 law was to prohibit discrimination based on gender at birth, not sexual orientation and not fake gender.

I certainly believe that refusal of service or job discrimination based on sexual orientation should be outlawed in all secular instances, but that is a matter for the legislature to consider and decide.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 am

Bryce wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:37 am
Matt wrote:

That didn't come from the judicial branch, it came from the executive branch. You know, as old Barry once said, "I've got a pen."
If it's a law, it should come from the legislative branch.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 am
Bryce wrote:
Matt wrote:

LOL, you give me a ton of crap for my opinion on this, then MW comes along and states essentially the same exact opinion and you've got nothing?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:19 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 am
Matt wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Matt wrote:

LOL, you give me a ton of crap for my opinion on this, then MW comes along and states essentially the same exact opinion and you've got nothing?
My point was already made clear. Are you suggesting I'm scared to challenge MW?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:40 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 am
Matt wrote:
Bryce wrote:
Matt wrote:

:blink

Great discussion!

And he did eventually come around...at that is a good thing!

I stood on principal even when I stood alone, at first.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:09 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:29 am
You both need to knock off the bigotry towards religion. You're entitled to your religious beliefs, as is audiophile. Has he ever once attacked either of you once (let alone repeatedly) for your religious (non) beliefs?

As to the court decision, the dissent sums up my view perfectly.
"... this court’s duty is to say what the law is, not what it thinks the law ought to be," Zahra wrote. "But this is exactly what a majority of this court has done here."

The Legislature explicitly chose not to include sexual orientation in the 1976 law, Zahra wrote, and the reference to "sex" in the law refers only to whether an individual is a biological male or biological female.

"No person familiar with the common usage of the English language in 1976 would have understood the ordinary meaning of 'sex' to include 'sexual orientation,'" wrote Zahra, who argued the two terms are "distinct concepts."
Yay for judicial activism.
In case you haven’t paid attention in class… this is how most high court decisions of note are decided. The impartiality thing is bullshit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic