Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Pence security detail called family members to say goodbye on 1/6

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Pence security detail called family members to say goodbye on 1/6

Post by Matt » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:49 pm

From the WSJ:
White House Official: Pence’s Security Detail Feared For Lives
By Andrew Restuccia and Lindsay Wise
An unnamed White House security official described harrowing radio messages from Vice President Mike Pence’s security detail, asserting that some of the members of the detail feared for their own lives as the mob entered the Capitol.

“I don’t like talking about it,” the official, whose voice was distorted to protect the person’s identity, said in a recorded clip played at the hearing, adding that Mr. Pence’s detail “thought it was about to get very ugly…It was just chaos.”

The official said the agents came very close to having to use lethal force “or worse,” and added that some of the members of Mr. Pence’s security detail radioed in goodbyes to their family members.
Anyone still defending this asshole? To be clear, said asshole is Donald Trump.

Earlier, there was a revelation that seems to corroborate Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony:
Rep. Elaine Luria (D., Va.), a member of the committee, said the panel has heard from two witnesses who said that there was a heated exchange between then-President Donald Trump and the Secret Service about going to the U.S. Capitol following Mr. Trump’s speech at the Ellipse.

One of the witnesses was an unnamed former White House official with national security responsibilities, Ms. Luria said.

Retired Sergeant Mark Robinson of the D.C. Metropolitan Police said that the Secret Service agent responsible for the motorcade indicated that the president was upset. The agent “was saying that there was a heated argument or discussion about going to the Capitol,” said Mr. Robinson, who was assigned to the motorcade.

Cassidy Hutchinson, a onetime top aide to White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, testified last month that she was told that Mr. Trump wanted to be driven to the Capitol and wrestled for the steering wheel with the Secret Service when his order was refused.

Ms. Hutchinson said her testimony about the ride in the presidential vehicle was based on an account from Tony Ornato, former White House deputy chief of staff, told to her in the presence of Mr. Engel. Mr. Ornato is listed on the Secret Service’s website as the assistant director of the Office of Training. A person close to the Secret Service said Mr. Ornato denied telling Ms. Hutchinson that Mr. Trump lunged at the steering wheel or assaulted an agent

The committee also played audio of an unnamed White House national security official who described shock about Mr. Trump’s desire to accompany the crowd to the Capitol. “I don’t know if you want to use the word ‘insurrection,’ ‘coup,’ whatever. We all knew that this would move from a normal democratic, you know, public event into something else,” the unnamed official said.

Mr. Trump has denied any wrongdoing related to the riot and called the hearings a partisan exercise.

Ms. Luria also said the committee has learned that some Secret Service witnesses have retained private counsel. “We anticipate further testimony under oath and other new information in the coming weeks,” she said.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 15783

Re: Pence security detail called family members to say goodbye on 1/6

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 am

I'm not saying Trump is innocent of all charges. But all this:

" ... I was told by someone who shall remain nameless that someone else who can't speak publicly told them that ...".

I mean can anyone argue that's the gist of these hearings?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:49 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 am
I'm not saying Trump is innocent of all charges.

He hasn't been charged with anything.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:57 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:49 am
He hasn't been charged with anything.
You are correct.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:18 am

I agree there seems to be an abundance of second and third hand allegations, some of which are refuted second and third hand.
What seems more scarce are first hand allegations.
To be clear I pretty much think Trump is a complete dirt bag who should disappear in to history.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:21 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:18 am
I agree there seems to be an abundance of second and third hand allegations, some of which are refuted second and third hand.
What seems more scarce are first hand allegations.
To be clear I pretty much think Trump is a complete dirt bag who should disappear in to history.
I suspect people are terrified of "being disloyal" to Trump, given the fact it is not an impossibility that he could be in the big seat again.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:04 pm

Tis a shame that with all the things that are in disarray in this country at the moment, Congress is wasting their time with this star chamber of a show trial that isn't going to accomplish a damn thing except make the people that already hate Trump possibly hate him more and the people that love Trump most likely make them defend him more.

Not one thing I've seen in this debacle could be introduced into a court of law. I mean really, it all boils down to this, If Donald Trump wanted to incite violence that fateful day, as his critics suggest, then why did he order the Pentagon to have a large military force ready to quell a disturbance? And why did a Democrat-led Congress turn down the assistance of National Guard troops in the face of intelligence warnings about violence?.

Isn't there something better they could be spending their time on?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:33 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:18 am
What seems more scarce are first hand allegations ....
I took the liberty of quoting part of Matt's first post:

" ... Ms. Hutchinson said her testimony about the ride in the presidential vehicle was based on an account from Tony Ornato, former White House deputy chief of staff, told to her in the presence of Mr. Engel ...."

So instead of Ms. Hutchinson telling us what someone else said, why wasn't Mr. Ornato and Mr. Engel called to testify? I'm fairly confident the committee knew ahead of time what she was going to say.

Seems to me in any court of law (which apparently this is not), that's how it works. Yes or no?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:42 pm

I'm certain that anyone who wants to refute the testimony of the witnesses would be welcome to come forward and give their version of the facts under oath.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:04 pm
Tis a shame that with all the things that are in disarray in this country at the moment, Congress is wasting their time with this star chamber of a show trial that isn't going to accomplish a damn thing except make the people that already hate Trump possibly hate him more and the people that love Trump most likely make them defend him more.

Not one thing I've seen in this debacle could be introduced into a court of law. I mean really, it all boils down to this, If Donald Trump wanted to incite violence that fateful day, as his critics suggest, then why did he order the Pentagon to have a large military force ready to quell a disturbance? And why did a Democrat-led Congress turn down the assistance of National Guard troops in the face of intelligence warnings about violence?.

Isn't there something better they could be spending their time on?
I disagree on suggesting Congress should have different priorities at this point - at least the current majority isn't fucking up things worse.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:47 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:42 pm
I'm certain that anyone who wants to refute the testimony of the witnesses would be welcome to come forward and give their version of the facts under oath.
Well, when that Hutchison statement came out everyone was tripping over themselves refuting it and telling everyone about all the Secret Service agents that would deny it under oath if given the opportunity. Now 3 weeks later they've all wiped the messages off their phones and Ornato and Engel have lawyered up. Seems strange. :rollin

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:01 pm

Bryce wrote:
...... this star chamber of a show trial that isn't going to accomplish a damn thing except make the people that already hate Trump possibly hate him more and the people that love Trump most likely make them defend him more.
I would suggest a third group is middle of the road people who were unsure what to think of Trump's Jan 6 roll who are now forming an opinion.
Those are people who can swing a tight election because they aren't committed to either party.

I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:50 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:01 pm
Bryce wrote:
...... this star chamber of a show trial that isn't going to accomplish a damn thing except make the people that already hate Trump possibly hate him more and the people that love Trump most likely make them defend him more.
I would suggest a third group is middle of the road people who were unsure what to think of Trump's Jan 6 roll who are now forming an opinion.
Those are people who can swing a tight election because they aren't committed to either party.
So you are basically saying that it is a show trial being held for purely political purposes. I agree.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 pm

Guys, just vote for ME. At least you'll have some REAL incompetence to complain about.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15835

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:21 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:22 pm
Guys, just vote for ME. At least you'll have some REAL incompetence to complain about.
We have never met but I like honesty, so you have my vote.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic