Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Those with booster shot more than 2x more likely to get Covid than those vaccinated but not boosted

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Those with booster shot more than 2x more likely to get Covid than those vaccinated but not boosted

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:00 am

This data straight from the CDC:

Cases per 100k of population (29 states included in this data):

Week of April 23
188 - Unvaccinated
56 - Vaccinated, not boosted
120 - Vaccinated, boosted

Week of April 16
155 - Unvaccinated
48 - Vaccinated, not boosted
108 - Vaccinated, boosted

Week of April 09
122 - Unvaccinated
36 - Vaccinated, not boosted
83 - Vaccinated, boosted

This trend didn't begin until mid-February. Prior to that, boosted people fared better than vaccinated without boosters. In fact, in October of last year, boosted people were 2.5x LESS likely than vaccinated but unboosted people to catch Covid.

Even the gap in the death rate is quickly closing. A half a year ago, boosted people were nearly 6x less likely to die from Covid than were unboosted. Now that number has fallen to less than 2x. And if you're twice as likely to catch Covid but 2x less likely to die from it, those numbers pretty much cancel each other out.

Lastly, boosters have reached a state of near uselessness in people under 50, where the infection rate among the boosted has nearly reached that of the unvaccinated, and in the 12-17 age group, boosted children are now getting sick more often than the unvaccinated.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... ine-status

audiophile

Re: Those with booster shot more than 2x more likely to get Covid than those vaccinated but not boosted

Post by audiophile » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am

I never liked the idea of short-term testing on vaccines.

Looks like the booster confused the immune system into thinking these things are normal and to ignore it.

As I said, many of my boosted friends have Covid. The rest that took the natural route seem to be doing fine.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

bmw

Re: Those with booster shot more than 2x more likely to get Covid than those vaccinated but not boosted

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:45 pm

Here is a visual representation of the data.

What I have put together here is a ratio graph - basically, the case-rate ratio of vaxed vs vaxed+boosted. A value of 1 means that both groups are getting infected at the same rate. The trend here sure looks alarming to me.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:25 pm

From my observation, people who are vaccinated and boosted take more chances and attend super spreader events, defined loosely, thinking they can't get it. Just one variable of many. Weddings and indoor restaurant meals are two examples. Airplane travel, airports, and cruise liners are more avoidable but make one shudder.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:59 pm

And that is one of the explanations given by the CDC. I always assumed that was true of vaxed vs. unvaxed, but does that hold true within the boosted sub-group of vaccinated people? And even if it does, is this a new phenomenon? Because this trend change didn't begin until late December. Were boosted people still hibernating in isolation in the 2nd half of 2021? Because that is a SIGNIFICANT change in just 5 months with their risk increaing nearly 9-fold relative to vaxed+non-boosted people.

I would also note that this trend-change began right around when Omicron showed up in the US. The booster was apparently pretty good at preventing the Delta variant, but it appears to actually be impairing your immune system's ability to avoid Omicron.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:02 pm

From the first bullet point:
Several factors likely affect crude case rates by vaccination and booster dose status, making interpretation of recent trends difficult. Limitations include higher prevalence of previous infection among the unvaccinated and un-boosted groups; difficulty in accounting for time since vaccination and waning protection; and possible differences in testing practices ( such as at-home tests) and prevention behaviors by age and vaccination status. These limitations appear to have less impact on the death rates presented here. CDC is assessing whether to continue using these case rate data to provide preliminary information on vaccine impact.
Basically, the data is garbage with the advent of home tests being readily available and free. There are a good number of people with minor illnesses that will never test and if they do, it will be non-reportable home tests. We're past the pandemic phase, and we need our government to acknowledge it. Claiming that the Trump vaccination was ineffective is beyond silly at this point, but I do understand some people have an almost childish need to be right.

That's all I'll say in the subject. Feel free to return to your anti-vax circle jerk...
Last edited by Matt on Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:43 pm

The data is only garbage or "difficult to interpret" when people don't like it. When they do like it, there is no critical analysis done whatsoever.
CDC is assessing whether to continue using these case rate data to provide preliminary information on vaccine impact.
Translation: CDC is assessing whether the data still fits our narrative and will decide whether to continue providing such data accordingly.

NOW....on to those so-called limitations:
higher prevalence of previous infection among the unvaccinated and un-boosted groups
Wholly irrelevant as we're only looking at vaccinated people.
difficulty in accounting for time since vaccination and waning protection
In theory, those with only vaccination but not boosters should have immunity that has waned longer than those with boosters. So this doesn't even make sense when comparing the 2 groups I'm comparing. Wouldn't those without boosters have immunity that has "waned" more than those with boosters? What am I missing here?
possible differences in testing practices ( such as at-home tests)
Just like with prevention behaviors, we're talking about 2 sub-groups of vaccinated people here; not vaxed vs unvaxed. Is there any evidence those with boosters are not only behaving significantly different than those with vaccination but no boosters, but also that they've changed their behavior only recently? I know that douchebag TCTalks has had like 8 boosters now and is probably out spreading Covid as we speak, but I need a sample size bigger than 1.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:48 pm

Those who are unvaccinated are either not reporting their infections or not getting tested at all. Hardly any employers require testing from anyone any more. More bad data from idiots.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 pm

A nephew who is diabetic got fired from his job for refusing to get vaccinated. Now he's in hospital, gravely ill with covid.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm

I'm talking about ONLY VACCINATED PEOPLE here. Is all of your reading comprehension really that bad? I'm comparing 2 groups. BOTH GROUPS ARE VACCINATED. The difference is one has also received boosters, and as of right now, those with boosters are more than twice as likely as those without to catch Covid.

I'm not talking about unvaccinated people.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:25 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:48 pm
Those who are unvaccinated are either not reporting their infections or not getting tested at all. Hardly any employers require testing from anyone any more. More bad data from idiots.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

This unvaccinated idiot has zero infections to report, and is tested regularly at the doctor's office. Additionally, I have not worked for any "employer" other than myself, for many years. Many others, in my inner circle, share similar circumstances. While it doesn't apply to me specifically, the so called "great resignation" has to be considered.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :smokin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm
I'm talking about ONLY VACCINATED PEOPLE here. Is all of your reading comprehension really that bad? I'm comparing 2 groups. BOTH GROUPS ARE VACCINATED. The difference is one has also received boosters, and as of right now, those with boosters are more than twice as likely as those without to catch Covid.

Yes, I understood that. I guess I deviated from your topic.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:33 pm
bmw wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:07 pm

Yes, I understood that. I guess I deviated from your topic.
I was responding more to MCRF than you, and I don't mean to undermine your nephew's situation. That said, if he's diabetic, he should probably have gotten vaccinated early on.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:37 am

People who were unvaccinated had a greater risk of testing positive for COVID-19 and a greater risk of dying from COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with a primary series

Unvaccinated people in all age groups had higher case and death rates than people vaccinated with a primary series in the same age groups.

Case and death rates for people vaccinated with a primary series of any vaccine type (Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine) were lower than for unvaccinated people.

People who were vaccinated with a primary series and an additional or booster dose had lower case rates overall compared with those without an additional or booster dose. Both of these groups had lower risk of testing positive for COVID-19 and a lower risk of dying from COVID-19 compared with people who were unvaccinated.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:38 pm

-sigh-

I'm not talking about vaxed vs unvaxed. I'm talking about vaxed vs vaxed+boosted

Is reading comprehension really that bad in this forum? If you want to talk about unvaccinated results, fine, make a thread about that. That's not what this topic of discussion is. This topic is about those who got boosted now catching Covid at more than double the rate of those who chose not to get boosted. Do any of you have any response to that? Or is it easier and more convenient to just keep creating straw men irrelevant to this specific issue?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic