Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The gun isn't the problem. Hate is the problem.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Re: The gun isn't the problem. Hate is the problem.

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:09 pm
If you see an obese person, I guess it could be a hormone imbalance or a glandular thing or an anti-immune disease.....but probably the fat fuck just eats too much.

Maybe...just maybe....it's the guns.
If you could make a case that there weren't any guns in existence in the sixties and seventies, I might concede that fact. But there were. We had a shooting club at my high school. No one shot up the school.

The presence of guns have been a constant. Maybe we should look to societal and educational changes over the past thirty years as part of the answer?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2022 8:05 am

Honeyman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Polls have shown that around 90% of the country wants background checks. That bill has passed the house. But the GOP's in the Senate won't vote for it.
Umm, we already have background checks. I've had to have one for each purchase I've made in the past two years.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 26, 2022 8:41 am

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 8:05 am
Honeyman wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:29 pm

Polls have shown that around 90% of the country wants background checks. That bill has passed the house. But the GOP's in the Senate won't vote for it.
Umm, we already have background checks. I've had to have one for each purchase I've made in the past two years.
I was referring to the universal background checks as specified in HR 8 and HR 1446. These bi-partisan bills have already passed the house and are waiting upon Senate approval.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 924328002/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/90-pe ... nd-checks/

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 26, 2022 10:48 am

Ok Honeyman, here you go. I compiled the data this morning. What you're looking at is the states, ranked in order from left to right from strictest gun control laws to most lenient gun laws (in blue), and in red is the number of school shootings, per-capita, since the year 2000.

Conclusion? This is about as close to no correlation whatsoever in the data that is statistically possible. The extremely slight positive correlation ends up being more than cancelled out by the 4 shootings in Washington DC (which was the highest number per capita compared to any state), but I excluded them because they weren't included in the gun control data set. However, most sources agree they have the strictest gun control laws in the nation, so they would be right around California at the far left part of the chart, and they would actually skew the line slightly the other direction.

So there you have it. Gun control laws do LITERALLY NOTHING to prevent school shootings.

Oh, and Texas specifically? They rank #16 overall out of 50 for fewest school shootings (per-capita) despite ranking #34 on strict gun control. Good luck getting the media to tell you that one. It also makes Beto O'Rourke look like a fool.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 am

You're right beemer. Guns have nothing to do with these killings.
Last edited by Honeyman on Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 26, 2022 11:12 am

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:14 am

In The Bleachers wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:47 am
Andy:
This article you linked is based on "age adjusted" statistics. I tried to Google that term to see just what that means. But only come up with other charts and graphs derived using the same term.

What does Age Adjusted mean in the context of this link?
Never really seen that term before.
Thanks.
Probably means "manipulated to fit an agenda"!!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 26, 2022 11:24 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 am
I said GUN LAWS are not stopping the crimes. Do you challenge the data I've posted? There's no correlation whatsoever between a state's gun control laws and its school shootings. NONE. How do you explain that? You still haven't explained how California - the state with the strictest gun laws in the nation - had more shootings per capita than did Texas.

That's because you don't want to look at the data. And in this instance, the data is pretty black-and-white without much room for alternative interpretations.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 am

bmw wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:24 am
Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 am
I said GUN LAWS are not stopping the crimes. Do you challenge the data I've posted? There's no correlation whatsoever between a state's gun control laws and its school shootings. NONE. How do you explain that? You still haven't explained how California - the state with the strictest gun laws in the nation - had more shootings per capita than did Texas.

That's because you don't want to look at the data. And in this instance, the data is pretty black-and-white without much room for alternative interpretations.
Texas allows an 18 year old to buy an AR-15. This guy bought one on his birthday, and 400 rounds of ammunition, and killed 18 children.

You've been posting numbers for 2 years trying to prove vaccines don't work. Now, it's this bullshit. Fuck your data. Get off your computer and try and find some human feelings.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2022 11:37 am

The left has to blame guns. If it can't be blamed on guns, then they have to admit that the social policy of the past 30 years has created a generation that is FUBAR.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 26, 2022 11:50 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 am
Texas allows an 18 year old to buy an AR-15. This guy bought one on his birthday, and 400 rounds of ammunition, and killed 18 children.

You've been posting numbers for 2 years trying to prove vaccines don't work. Now, it's this bullshit. Fuck your data. Get off your computer and try and find some human feelings.
This looks like an admittance you've lost the debate.

We have a right to bear arms in this country. That's in the 2nd Amendment. That right also applies to 18-year-olds.

And YOU are the one pushing for change. And you have specifically blamed the guns. Because we have a 2nd Amendment, and because you're the one who wants to restrict it, the burden is on YOU to prove your case - that is, to prove that not only are regulations on buying guns warranted, but also that they'll actually have the desired effect. That requires an analysis of the data that we do have available to us. If you don't like that, I can't help you. Bottom line is that despite the wide variance in ease-of-purchase of guns from state-to-state, school shootings don't correlate with that data, at all. That means that based on the 22 years worth of evidence that we do have, there is no evidence to suggest that passing gun control laws in the states that are most lax will do anything at all. So unless you have actual empirical data to suggest otherwise, this debate is over, and you lost.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am

Why does an 18 year old need an AK47?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am

Look at this pack of cowards...
The New York Times reached out on Wednesday to all 50 Republicans in the Senate to see whether they would support a pair of House-passed measures to strengthen background checks for gun buyers. Within hours of the elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, Senate Democrats moved quickly to clear the way for possible votes on the two bills.

The legislation would expand criminal background checks to would-be purchasers on the internet and at gun shows and give the F.B.I. more time to investigate gun buyers flagged by the instant background check system.

The vast majority of Republicans have opposed gun safety legislation for years, banding together to block its consideration or refusing to bring it up.

Most Republicans who have responded to The Times so far have either declined to take a position or signaled they would oppose the measures, citing concerns about infringing on the rights of gun owners.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ators.html

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 26, 2022 12:01 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am
Now we're getting down to the nitty gritty. Letting the government decide what we "need" and don't need. Lots of that going on in North Korea, China and Venezuela these days.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 26, 2022 12:06 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am
Why does anybody need anything other than food, water, and shelter?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic