Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Senate approves making Daylight Savings Time permanent

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Senate approves making Daylight Savings Time permanent

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:19 am

This happened about a week ago. Per the legislation, DST would become permanent in 2022, whereby in November of 2022, clocks simply wouldn't be set back.

The biggest argument against this seems to be that when we tried this for 15 months back in the mid 70s, people hated it. The problem that time which I don't see any articles that point this mention is that they started it on January 6th, after clocks had already been set back just 2 months prior. That had to be a jarring change to implement it in early January instead of March or April. I think it would be very different if simply allowed to gradually get darker in the morning by starting with DST as normal and then just not falling back in November.

My opinion is this - if I had to choose between DST and regular time year-around, I would opt for DST. I already think it gets dark too early in Dec/Jan here in Michigan - that effect is even more extreme in the east coast as the sun sets even 45 minutes earlier there. Having DST year-around, at least for the east coast, would put their sunrise/sunset times similar to what we already have here in MI on regular time in the winter.

If it were completely up to me, I would split the difference and have DST in 2022 go forward 1/2 hour instead of a full hour and then keep that time year around. 1/2 hour offsets actually do exist in the world.

lidoshuffle

Re: Senate approves making Daylight Savings Time permanent

Post by lidoshuffle » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:25 am

Great, if it stays on DST instead of EST, be prepared for late sunrises in December and January, like 9AM....

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:38 am

What it boils down to for me is I'd rather have the light between 5 and 6 PM than 8 and 9 AM. That's just me though.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:42 am

It's like cutting one end off a blanket and stitching it to the other end to make it longer.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:52 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:25 am
Great, if it stays on DST instead of EST, be prepared for late sunrises in December and January, like 9AM....
I completely agree. They talk about the negative effects of the few days of adjustment after each time change. Just imagine the mental health costs and car accident risks of an extra hour of early morning darkness, stretched over about three months.

From weather.com, here are the Detroit sunrises for some recent winter days:

12/15/21: 7:55 EST (8:55 DST)
1/15/22: 7:59 EST (8:59 DST)
2/15/22: 7:30 EST (8:30 DST)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:07 am

I think Washington should be concerning itself with much more important issues, but I support the legislation as written. I'd rather have year long daylight savings time than year long standard time. I like the additional daylight in the evening. I also would be perfectly fine with keeping things the same as they are today.

It's also important that the entire country follow the same method of time calculation. Having different states within the same time zone using different time calculation methods would be a mess for commerce.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:54 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:07 am
I think Washington should be concerning itself with much more important issues, but I support the legislation as written. I'd rather have year long daylight savings time than year long standard time. I like the additional daylight in the evening. I also would be perfectly fine with keeping things the same as they are today.

It's also important that the entire country follow the same method of time calculation. Having different states within the same time zone using different time calculation methods would be a mess for commerce.
Arizona is in mountain time in standard time and Pacific time in DST. I think it's more important for a state to be in the same time zone. Indiana's setup is just silly.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Totally disagree about Indiana.

Evansville is arguably tied closer with Nashville as far as it's atmosphere and "feel" than it is with Indianapolis. It's quicker to drive to St. Louis and Nashville from Evansville than it is to drive to Indy. That corner of Indiana belongs where it is in the Central time zone.

And the northwest corner is permanently part of Chicagoland. Even if they moved those counties to the Eastern time zone, everyone would ignore it and operate on Chicago time.
Wellllll... la de frickin da

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Myself, I just glad it won't change anymore.
Don't care which one they chose.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:24 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:58 pm
Myself, I just glad it won't change anymore.
Don't care which one they chose.
Just wait. Someone will come up with the brainwave to move it ahead one more hour during the summer months.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:15 am

Arizona stays one time zone year 'round 'cuz it's full of old people who can't handle change. I'd bet no one there remembers to check their smoke and CO detectors... :blink

It's ONE hour difference, twice a year. Deal with it.
"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Deleted User 15773

Post by Deleted User 15773 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:14 am

I'm not counting my chickens as of yet, however this is long overdue.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:45 pm

I say make the STANDARD time permanent. No DST, unless we are at war.

As I remember one sage saying some years ago, it is all EST. Either Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Screwed-up Time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic