Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Police misconduct's 1.5 Billion Dollar pricetag

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Police misconduct's 1.5 Billion Dollar pricetag

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:03 am

The hidden billion-dollar cost of repeated police misconduct... Defund police? How about remove bad eggs and those who train life threatening tactics and enjoy the cost savings.
More than $1.5 billion has been spent to settle claims of police misconduct involving thousands of officers repeatedly accused of wrongdoing. Taxpayers are often in the dark.

The Post found that more than 1,200 officers in the departments surveyed had been the subject of at least five payments. More than 200 had 10 or more.

The repetition is the hidden cost of alleged misconduct: Officers whose conduct was at issue in more than one payment accounted for more than $1.5 billion, or nearly half of the money spent by the departments to resolve allegations, The Post found. In some cities, officers repeatedly named in misconduct claims accounted for an even larger share. For example, in Chicago, officers who were subject to more than one paid claim accounted for more than $380 million of the nearly $528 million in payments.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... al-topic-1

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Re: Police misconduct's 1.5 Billion Dollar pricetag

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am

How many BILLIONS in damage to our cities from those same thugs in just ONE YEAR??

Perhaps they shouldn't settle these claims at all, until a charge is PROVEN!! Notice that these settlements are from ALLEGED misconduct, not PROVEN misconduct. Like a lot of cases, the insurance companies just cough up money to avoid going through a trial, whether they'd win or not because it costs a lot of money just to defend an innocent action.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:11 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am
How many BILLIONS in damage to our cities from those same thugs in just ONE YEAR??

Perhaps they shouldn't settle these claims at all, until a charge is PROVEN!! Notice that these settlements are from ALLEGED misconduct, not PROVEN misconduct. Like a lot of cases, the insurance companies just cough up money to avoid going through a trial, whether they'd win or not because it costs a lot of money just to defend an innocent action.
Got any data to back it up?

What about the hundreds of "friendly fire" situations we are all aware of?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:42 pm

I saw this article as well. Between our mayoral lawsuits and these police suits, it is one of the biggest reasons we in the city of Warren pay steep taxes. I know the same is true for Oakland County.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:03 pm

I agree with TC Talks. The bad eggs need to be removed.

Admittedly, most of the settlements are paid by insurers, not directly by taxpayers, but those settlements can result in higher liability insurance premiums.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:20 pm

We should weed out bad cops, bad teachers, bad doctors, bad accountants, bad you name it.
I'll leave our politicians because that is what elections are supposed to do.
I no longer directly engage trolls

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:20 pm
I'll leave our politicians because that is what elections are supposed to do.
Be nice to be able to keep stupid people from voting though. :razz
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:03 pm
I agree with TC Talks. The bad eggs need to be removed.

Admittedly, most of the settlements are paid by insurers, not directly by taxpayers, but those settlements can result in higher liability insurance premiums.
Don't doubt that at all and don't doubt there are "bad eggs" in thee profession.

HOWEVER, if you're working 3rd shift in the worst areas of town, you're many more times likely to get complaints when doing your job, just because of the "clientele" that you run across in those places at those hours. They all think they "didn't do nuffin wrong" and are likely to resist attempts to bring them to justice.

ANYBODY can make a complaint or an allegation. Lets see some actual facts before we justify payouts or disciplinary actions.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm

Bryce wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:17 pm
I couldn't agree more... Image

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:10 pm

Motown322 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm
Bryce wrote:
Isn't that the truth.
They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:15 am

Motown322 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm
Bryce wrote:
I'll put the cume IQ of those folks up against the IQ of voters that elected Rashida Tlaib any day of the week.
New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

G G

Post by G G » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:37 am

You'd win!

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 pm

G G: Where did you get the information from? This sound a bit racist to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic