Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How concerned are you about the possibility of World War III ?

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

How concerned are you about the possibility of World War III ?

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:10 am

I'm almost afraid to ask this question as I recall a similar thread in the very early days of Covid asking people how afraid on a scale of 1-10 they were of Covid.

But how concerned are you that we're on the cusp not only of World War III, but also of that war being nuclear? I don't like what I read on Newsweek yesterday:
"As Russian nuclear forces have already deterred President Biden from sending troops to Ukraine and deterred NATO from giving more combat aircraft to Ukraine, so China has long ago decided to use nuclear blackmail to keep the U.S. out of its future murder of Taiwan's democracy," said Richard Fisher of the International Assessment and Strategy Center to Newsweek. "But that's not all. For the last decade, China and Russia have been building a military entente that has long included cooperation in 'strategic defense,' or defense against U.S. nuclear missiles. It is highly plausible that China and Russia already have decided to cooperate in 'strategic offense,' or the coordination of their nuclear forces to blackmail or even to destroy the United States."

President Biden, when asked on February 28 whether Americans should be worried about a nuclear attack, gave a one-word response: "No."

The correct answer was "yes."
https://www.newsweek.com/putin-threaten ... on-1685241
Last edited by bmw on Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzand

Re: How worried are you about the possibility of World War III ?

Post by zzand » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:25 am

What good does it do to worry? It is out of our hands and what will happen will happen.

bmw

Re: How concerned are you about the possibility of World War III ?

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:31 am

Fine. Swap out "worried" with "concerned."

Thread title changed accordingly.

That aside, I'm not sure I completely agree anyways. There are things individuals can do to prepare for less-than-nuclear problems that could arise at your particular location.

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:34 am

And as to my gut feeling on this, I don't think Putin would send a nuke towards the US. I even doubt he would use one in any NATO country in Europe. I could maybe see him doing some kind of "warning shot" over a body of water, and I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of him detonating one in Ukraine, but I would guess that would be the extent of what even a madman such as Putin would be willing to do.

zzand

Post by zzand » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:38 am

I agree that he would never send one here or toward a NATO nation but he could use a battlefield nuke in Ukraine and I am guessing he has them. Concerned? yes but we are in a wait and see situation right now. I am more concerned with being able to afford gas and food right now.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:47 am

I'm concerned that Putin hasn't been taken out yet.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:27 am

To be honest, I think this whole situation makes WWIII less likely to occur. There is absolutely no will of the people in Russia and soldiers and law enforcement appear to just be doing their duties, with even soldiers not having their heart in this and lacking morale. Its hard for me to envision Russia even carrying it out without a thought for what tomorrow would bring. And then when you consider what the day after would be like, it would be complete civil disorder.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:14 pm

zzand wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:38 am
I agree that he would never send one here or toward a NATO nation but he could use a battlefield nuke in Ukraine and I am guessing he has them. Concerned? yes but we are in a wait and see situation right now. I am more concerned with being able to afford gas and food right now.
What is a battlefield nuke? Is that like when Trump asked if nukes could be use against hurricanes?

Get it straight, once nukes are used it's over. Done. *poof* Planet of the Apes.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:04 am

do some research, they are out there

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:14 am

There are other tactics Russians have used, like mustard gas (part of the reason deviled eggs make you fart), biological methods, cyber warfare on everyone and every agency, the obvious misinformation campaigns, and other things we probably cannot imagine. Remember... if war is with Russia, they fight dirty. They even kill their own citizens with fake trials- similar to China, abuse prisoners or give special rights to prisoners to torture other prisoners- if not make prisoners disappear forever in places like Black Dolphin and Gulag. That said, expect the unexpected and understand the brutality of Russia. Nukes are not the world's only hazard.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:55 am

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:14 pm
What is a battlefield nuke? Is that like when Trump asked if nukes could be use against hurricanes?
For someone who got all offended when I suggested that you and others on the left can't move on past Trump, you sure still find a way to drag his name into nearly every conversation in this forum.

And btw - you're really slipping. You keep forgetting the * next to his name that you promised you'd use for the rest of history - you know - so people don't forget that he was impeached.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:31 pm

To answer the questions posed in the OP:
- 6 out of 10 regarding WW III.
- 3 out of 10 regarding nukes.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm

After China’s refusal to provide Russia parts today, my concern for WWIII went from about a 7 last week to about 3 now. As far as nukes, I would say about a 3 as well because the Russian people are getting very pissed off at Putin.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:26 am

After reading this, I'm now down to 0: https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2 ... raine.html

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:16 am

The whole situation has made me think about the possibility of nuclear war for the first time in about 35 years, since before the Cold War ended. It explains why the United States has not gotten involved.

I imagine that right now there are some people in the military who are thinking through scenarios that would make our skin crawl.

I've been thinking a lot about this quote:

https://quotefancy.com/quote/1953371/Ro ... edy-policy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic