Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prediction: SCOTUS will toss vaccine mandate for large business employees, uphold it for healthcare workers

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Prediction: SCOTUS will toss vaccine mandate for large business employees, uphold it for healthcare workers

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:25 am

This particular battle always gets shockingly little media attention. Based on what I'm reading here - https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/su ... ule-biden/ - it sounds like the majority of the Supreme Court finds Biden's mandate for employers with 100+ employees to get vaccinated as overly broad, but has no problem with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services mandating healthcare workers to get vaccinated.

So my prediction is that the first gets tossed, the latter gets upheld.

craig11152

Re: Prediction: SCOTUS will toss vaccine mandate for large business employees, uphold it for healthcare workers

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 am

In the interest of honesty "Biden's mandate for employers with 100+ employees to get vaccinated" was actually a mandate to get vaccinated or wear a mask and get tested weekly.
Last edited by craig11152 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

I no longer directly engage trolls

km1125

Re: Prediction: SCOTUS will toss vaccine mandate for large business employees, uphold it for healthcare workers

Post by km1125 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:38 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 am
In the interest of honesty "Biden's mandate for employers with 100+ employees to get vaccinated" was actually a mandate to get vaccinated or wear a mask and get tested weekly.
But I guess the truth doesn't much matter to people now days.
I thought they dropped the "weekly tested" part after a few weeks? Or was that just for some subset of folks?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:28 am

km1125 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:38 am
craig11152 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:38 am
But I guess the truth doesn't much matter to people now days.
I thought they dropped the "weekly tested" part after a few weeks? Or was that just for some subset of folks?
Not sure on that but the point is it wasn't a vaccinate or your fired thing I don't believe. There was an option B if you didn't want a shot.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:02 pm

This case boils down to if the Executive Branch of the Federal Government has the power to mandate a vaccine under our Constitution. I say they do not without Congress passing a law. Even if Congress passes said law, it might not pass constitutional muster either.

Keep in mind, there is NO precedence for the Federal Government, much less the executive branch, mandating such a thing.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:16 pm

The whole "or plan B" thing is a giant red herring IMO. If either part of the "or" is unconstitutional, then the whole thing is unconstitutional.

What if there was a mandate that said "you must go to church every Sunday, or you can choose to simply stay home from work" ? Would you say this is a violation of the separation of Church and State, or would you say "hey, at least there's a plan B, and people need to be more honest that there is in fact a Plan B."

zzand

Post by zzand » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:18 pm

Can the government legally mandate a vaccine?
Yes, they can. The government has done so since at least 1904, when the right of government to impose vaccines was established by the Supreme Court in Jacobson v. Massachusetts. In a 7-to-2 ruling, the Court said Cambridge, Massachusetts could require all adults to be vaccinated against smallpox.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:27 pm

That's not the question, and there are multiple red herrings there as well.

First, the question isn't whether states can issue such mandates.

Second, the question isn't about the government directly mandating people to get vaccinated, but rather, about the government mandating that employers mandate that employees get vaccinated. The constitutional question here is whether the President, through executive action, can direct a regulatory body of the Department of Labor, to force upon large employers the burden of ensuring that their employees are vaccinated.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 pm

Sotomayor is a liar or an idiot.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:48 pm

zzand wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:18 pm
Yes, they can. The government has done so since at least 1904, when the right of government to impose vaccines was established by the Supreme Court in Jacobson v. Massachusetts. In a 7-to-2 ruling, the Court said Cambridge, Massachusetts could require all adults to be vaccinated against smallpox.
STATE governments are a whole different ball game than the FEDERAL government. States rights and all.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:32 pm

zzand wrote:
At one point the SC also allowed slavery too. Were they right or wrong on that one?
Matt wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Or both. I saw a few of her comments posted the other day. Crazy loon

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:44 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:32 pm
zzand wrote:
At one point the SC also allowed slavery too. Were they right or wrong on that one?
Matt wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:40 pm
Or both. I saw a few of her comments posted the other day. Crazy loon
She struggles to understand normal thinking.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am

bmw wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:16 pm
The whole "or plan B" thing is a giant red herring IMO. If either part of the "or" is unconstitutional, then the whole thing is unconstitutional.

What if there was a mandate that said "you must go to church every Sunday, or you can choose to simply stay home from work" ? Would you say this is a violation of the separation of Church and State, or would you say "hey, at least there's a plan B, and people need to be more honest that there is in fact a Plan B."
For starters I was just addressing your continued misrepresentation of the proposed regulation, not my armchair opinion on the constitutionality. The plan B is not a red herring at all it is a legitimate alternative to a vaccination. Its only a "red herring" to you because it is problematic to your anti-vaccine rants.

The federal government requires me to take a drug test every two years as part of a DOT physical examination they require me to take. They also require me to take a random drug test any time my name is drawn. I am required to wear reflective high visibility clothing for my job. In my case that is an employer requirement. But the federal government through OSHA requires reflective clothing for certain occupations. In fact OSHA and MIOSHA are full of requirements that directly impact an employee. Hair nets, masks, gloves in food preparations etc.
I equate wearing a mask to wearing reflective clothing or hair nets or safety helmets. I equate a Covid test to drug testing both random and required, physical examinations.... a whole list of things required by the Government for certain jobs.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:12 am

Another way to look it was that large employers should require employees to wear a mask and get a weekly Covid test. But they could opt out of that with a vaccine.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm

I think they are moving to a different approach, realizing that the vaccines are not very effective at all against the new variants or virus, and there are so many “breakthrough” cases, particularly among celebrities and politicians. It may be a a way for Biden to save face while using the Supreme Court decision to back down.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic