Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I tested positive for Covid today

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

I tested positive for Covid today

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:20 am

I think I'm on my 4th day of it already. My case was inevitable as I was the last man standing without it in my immediate and intermediate family - that number of positive cases is up to 7 now. I began self-isolation a week ago because of my known exposure. But with both my parents sick at the same time, I had to help them with a lot of things and it is just impossible to completely avoid exposure when this thing is so contagious.

Of the 7 of us, no hospitalizations - I'd say 5 of us are completely out of the woods as far as that goes; one had a more moderate case where for a day or 2 I was becoming concerned, but as of last night, that person's symptoms seem to have turned a corner for the better), and I'm not completely out of the woods myself just because not enough time has passed yet.

I thus far have the mildest case of anybody who got it. I would best describe my experience as that of a very mild flu (low fever right around 100, very mild aches and pains, tiny bit of fatigue) along with a few cold-like symptoms (upper sinus congestion, but fortunately for me nothing in my lungs, at least yet). No 2 of us had identical symptoms, though I think I'm the only one who didn't get a dry cough. So far this is NOTHING like the H1N1 flu I got back in like 2013. That flu kicked my ass more than any other sickness I've ever had.

I would say the hardest part of dealing with this was just the anxiety. Both anxiety of after exposure of wondering every hour of the day, is this the hour I'm going to get sick? And you get paranoid at every sniffle and cough. And the anxiety of both your parents getting it, who are not elderly, but are right in that age range where likelihood of a nasty infection starts to increase.

One last thing - having gone through this, it is my opinion that the government's PSA messaging on Covid is sorely lacking in educating people how to actually deal with Covid and monitor their family when they have it. They spend all their energy on telling people to get vaccinated while rarely giving any practical, possibly life-saving advice, to people who have it or have family who has it.

Honeyman

Re: I tested positive for Covid today

Post by Honeyman » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:23 am

Take care and I wish you the you the best of health, beemer.

The censorship king from out of state.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:29 am

So far so good. I mean, I almost feel well enough to continue with normal daily activity, but now that I know I have it I'm going to just take it easy for a few days.

To treat mine, I'm not doing a whole lot, other than:
-drinking tons of water
-Taking a moderate dose of quercetin/bromelain every day (supposed to be a natural anti-inflammatory, and I used to take it to cure hives)
-1 tsp of Manuka honey dissolved in water. This is supposed to be a natural expectorant to thin your mucus.
-200mg Advil + 250mg of Tylenol about every 7 hours to keep my temp down around 99 even (also cuts my minor aches/pains probably in half).

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am

I personally wish you a speedy and full recovery. But I would like to ask two questions, one personal and one policy:

1) Are you vaccinated?

2) You stated "One last thing - having gone through this, it is my opinion that the government's PSA messaging on Covid is sorely lacking in educating people how to actually deal with Covid and monitor their family when they have it. They spend all their energy on telling people to get vaccinated while rarely giving any practical, possibly life-saving advice, to people who have it or have family who has it." What would that advice be? With two family members and one personal friend dying of this disease (all before vaccinations were available) I'm not convinced there is better advice than "Wash your hands, don't get this disease and get a jab"

Again, best wishes and get better fast.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:05 am

What about Zinc, Vitamin C and D3?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:55 am
1) Are you vaccinated?
:rollin :rollin :rollin

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am

I don't mind answering either question:

1 - No, I am not vaccinated. I had briefly contemplated getting it this past summer, but it was something I was just not comfortable getting. I decided given my age and good health that statistically speaking, if I ever did get Covid it was highly likely it would be a mild case. Now obviously those thoughts change when you actually do get it and others get it - you second-guess your decision an even though you know you're PROBABLY going to be ok, you still worry that you might be in that (relatively speaking) small group of people who don't handle Covid well. And I'm being completely honest here - the anxiety has caused me more distress than any of the actual physical symptoms of the Covid itself.

2 - Broadly speaking, educating people on how to know when it is time to seek immediate medical attention. Trouble breathing is about all I ever hear mentioned. But one specific example I would like to see have a policy focus on is educating people on the importance of monitoring their blood oxygen levels while sick as your oxygen level is easily measured at home and is one of the strongest leading indicators of when a Covid case could go downhill quickly. You can get these $20 at-home oxygen meters that you just put your index finger in and in like 20 seconds you have a number for your oxygen level. Healthy is 94-100. Concerning is 90-93. Dangerous is 89 or lower. We all bought our own meters and each kept a close eye throughout on our levels. Mine has remained 97+ which is good. My mom's got as low as 93 a few days ago, but since then has steadily risen back up to 97. How many average people know that you could save your life by closely monitoring your oxygen and getting to the doctor or hospital when that number gets down around 90 or 91? I can't help but wonder how many people die because they don't get the medical attention they need quickly enough and instead just try to "ride it out" at home? I've read a lot of stories of people who it is already too late by the time they actually seek medical attention.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:19 am

audiophile wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:05 am
What about Zinc, Vitamin C and D3?
I may actually start all 3 of those today as I have all 3 on-hand. Certainly can't hurt anything.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
2 - Broadly speaking, educating people on how to know when it is time to seek immediate medical attention. Trouble breathing is about all I ever hear mentioned. ....
100% agree. Also like to see more push on any of those recommended treatments as soon as you confirm positive, but before you need to seek medical attention. I'd bet many could avoid the need to seek any medical attention (even just a visit to your physician) if they had the 'right' regimen upon confirmation and a large majority would avoid serious complications if they did seek medical attention at the right time and were given some appropriate treatments instead of just being told "go back home until you are having trouble breathing".
Reagan4prez wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 am
Thankfully, you are one of the 98.2% of known COVID-19 patients to survive. Since the number of infections is much higher than those that get tested and report, the number is higher than 98.2%.
And those are the numbers from "day 1". I wonder what they'd really be if you removed those from the first few months where we were still sticking COVID-positive folks in nursing homes and not otherwise protecting the very vulnerable.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am

Reagan4prez wrote:
bmw wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:18 am
I don't mind answering either question:

1 - No, I am not vaccinated. I had briefly contemplated getting it this past summer, but it was something I was just not comfortable getting. I decided given my age and good health that statistically speaking, if I ever did get Covid it was highly likely it would be a mild case. Now obviously those thoughts change when you actually do get it and others get it - you second-guess your decision an even though you know you're PROBABLY going to be ok, you still worry that you might be in that (relatively speaking) small group of people who don't handle Covid well. And I'm being completely honest here - the anxiety has caused me more distress than any of the actual physical symptoms of the Covid itself.

2 - Broadly speaking, educating people on how to know when it is time to seek immediate medical attention. Trouble breathing is about all I ever hear mentioned. But one specific example I would like to see have a policy focus on is educating people on the importance of monitoring their blood oxygen levels while sick as your oxygen level is easily measured at home and is one of the strongest leading indicators of when a Covid case could go downhill quickly. You can get these $20 at-home oxygen meters that you just put your index finger in and in like 20 seconds you have a number for your oxygen level. Healthy is 94-100. Concerning is 90-93. Dangerous is 89 or lower. We all bought our own meters and each kept a close eye throughout on our levels. Mine has remained 97+ which is good. My mom's got as low as 93 a few days ago, but since then has steadily risen back up to 97. How many average people know that you could save your life by closely monitoring your oxygen and getting to the doctor or hospital when that number gets down around 90 or 91? I can't help but wonder how many people die because they don't get the medical attention they need quickly enough and instead just try to "ride it out" at home? I've read a lot of stories of people who it is already too late by the time they actually seek medical attention.
I wish you a very speedy recovery and respect your decision regarding vaccination.

Thankfully, you are one of the 98.2% of known COVID-19 patients to survive. Since the number of infections is much higher than those that get tested and report, the number is higher than 98.2%.
He still has it… therefore he has not survived. The jury is out.

Beemer… get better soon. Until then you can hang out with us full time. That’ll speed up the process no doubt. :lol

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:20 am

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, bmw!

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:22 am

Rate This wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:12 am
Beemer… get better soon. Until then you can hang out with us full time. That’ll speed up the process no doubt. :lol
I'm sure keeping my heart rate and blood pressure down is important :lol

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:29 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:20 am
Best wishes on a speedy recovery, bmw!
Thanks. Doing very good. I'm actually a little surprised I haven't been hit harder than this yet considering how colds/flus normally hit me (ie, I get hit hard and complain like a little baby for like a week). I expected something more than this (and maybe that's still to come, I hope not). This was the first time I've been tested. It was one of those at-home test kits you get for like $25. My parents had 1 left and didn't need it so gave it to me. It was NOT a comfortable experience with that swab up my nose. But the positive result was no doubt. That red line showed up plain as could be in less than a minute.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:34 am

Reagan4prez wrote:
In my age group, the reported mortality rate is actually only 0.3%, though higher in males than females for whatever reason. Accounting for the non-reported cases, that number falls to closer to 0.1%. I admit that even a 1 in 1,000 chance of dying is higher than what I'd like, but some of that 0.1% is in people with one or more underlying conditions (estimates I've seen say your risk goes up 2.5x with 1 underlying condition and 4x with 2 or more), which I don't have, so my odds look quite good.

The difference in age groups is striking. I think I've noted this stat in here before - but 5% of all Covid deaths are people under 50; the other 95% are over 50.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Thats about the same symptoms I had earlier this year. Still continued day to day operations.

I would take naps and get a well rested sleep as that allowed me to continue on

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic