Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

COVID pill coming

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

COVID pill coming

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:32 pm

Here's a dilemma, what do antivaxers do when they come out with a pill instead of a vaccination shot?

Do they still boycott it? Because it's much safer than some of the things that are being administered in a hospital when someone has contracted covid...
Britain on Thursday became the first country to authorize the use of an antiviral pill for Covid-19, an easy-to-use treatment that could help tame the pandemic.

The drug, known as molnupiravir and sold by the pharmaceutical company Merck, was shown in a key clinical trial to reduce by half the risk of hospitalization and death in high-risk Covid patients who were treated early in their infections. Dispensed from a pharmacy and taken at home, the drug is expected to reach many more people than treatments like monoclonal antibodies, which are typically administered intravenously at a hospital or clinic.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/04 ... olnupravir

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Turkeytop

Re: COVID pill coming

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:42 pm

This will just be another excuse to not get vaccinated.

"I don't need to get vaccinated because, when I get covid, I can take a pill to treat it."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:59 pm

That's a treatment pill. Whether you're vaxxed or not you might want to consider it if/when you get infected.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:31 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:32 pm
Here's a dilemma, what do antivaxers do when they come out with a pill instead of a vaccination shot?

Do they still boycott it? Because it's much safer than some of the things that are being administered in a hospital when someone has contracted covid...
Britain on Thursday became the first country to authorize the use of an antiviral pill for Covid-19, an easy-to-use treatment that could help tame the pandemic.

The drug, known as molnupiravir and sold by the pharmaceutical company Merck, was shown in a key clinical trial to reduce by half the risk of hospitalization and death in high-risk Covid patients who were treated early in their infections. Dispensed from a pharmacy and taken at home, the drug is expected to reach many more people than treatments like monoclonal antibodies, which are typically administered intravenously at a hospital or clinic.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/11/04 ... olnupravir
They will probably make up some lie about how it causes kidney or liver cancer.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Great news- a possible second pill from Pfizer:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 1bcd7aec52

If Merck and the Pfizer can work anything like the cocktail that's been created that helps with HIV, this could be real progress in making COVID-19 something that fades into the background.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:16 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm
Great news- a possible second pill from Pfizer:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 1bcd7aec52

If Merck and the Pfizer can work anything like the cocktail that's been created that helps with HIV, this could be real progress in making COVID-19 something that fades into the background.
I'm confused. COVID is *nothing* like HIV. You get COVID you might need a little help to get over it (most don't) but then most are good for quite a while. With HIV, once you're infected it stay with you forever and you need constant treatment.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:24 pm

My admittedly weak knowledge base is that the similarity is that having more than one tool in the toolbox is a good thing to prevent the virus from mutating too fast.

If there is only a single COVID-19 pill, it mostly likely would have a very limited time before it becomes ineffective at doing it's job. Similar to the way the HIV cocktail is more effective at preventing the virus from escaping the treatment.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:24 pm
My admittedly weak knowledge base is that the similarity is that having more than one tool in the toolbox is a good thing to prevent the virus from mutating too fast.

If there is only a single COVID-19 pill, it mostly likely would have a very limited time before it becomes ineffective at doing it's job. Similar to the way the HIV cocktail is more effective at preventing the virus from escaping the treatment.
Both the pills in this thread do not prevent you from getting COVID. They are to take AFTER you get COVID, to avoid hospitalization or serious complications. You already have to HAVE COVID to use these. Once ANYBODY gets COVID, there's the chance of mutations, so neither of these would prevent the virus from "mutating too fast".

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:21 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:59 pm
Robert Faygo wrote:

Both the pills in this thread do not prevent you from getting COVID. They are to take AFTER you get COVID, to avoid hospitalization or serious complications. You already have to HAVE COVID to use these. Once ANYBODY gets COVID, there's the chance of mutations, so neither of these would prevent the virus from "mutating too fast".
Lessening the severity of it will go a long way towards going back to normal.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:18 am

Wrong term. Resistance is what I was looking for, which is a kind of mutation.

https://fortune.com/2021/10/08/merck-mo ... esistance/

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:16 am

km1125 wrote:
Robert Faygo wrote:

Good argument for getting the jab tbh

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:46 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:16 am
km1125 wrote:
Robert Faygo wrote:

Good argument for getting the jab tbh
Perhaps, but no reason to need mandates to do so.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:18 am

Good news today:

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/Pfize ... d/1045185/

Pfizer's pill is by far the better of the 2 pills. It will be more effective than any of the vaccines ever were or ever could have hoped to be AND because of how it works shouldn't carry anywhere near the hesitancy with it that the vaccines have and always will have.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 am

If they're doin widespread testing of these pills, is the COVID fatality rate dropping? With the CFR so low to begin with, that any significant change would show up in the overall stats.

Also, what about those monoclonal antibody treatments? If we're really rolling those out and making them available, has there also been a noticeable improvement in the CFR rate from that? Even if only HALF the severe case got it and it was only 50% effective, it would seem that would make a H*** dent in the CFR rate.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:42 pm

I think much of that "gain" is being cancelled out by the increase in asymptomatic or low-symptomatic cases in vaccinated people. In other words, I think even fewer Covid cases are being reported than before (it was already only 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 to begin with) making it appear as though the fatality rate isn't dropping much.

btw - the current numbers are 1,088 deaths to 90,342 cases, or a mortality rate of 1.2% among reported cases. That is marginally down compared to a year ago where the number was around 1.4%. Considering that an estimated 1 in 6 cases are being reported, the ACTUAL mortality rate is closer to 0.2% right now - or barely higher than a bad flu year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic