Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Wind Turbine Failures Behind Europe's Energy Crisis Are a Warning for America

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
audiophile

The Wind Turbine Failures Behind Europe's Energy Crisis Are a Warning for America

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:33 pm

These politicians are having trouble figuring they got there? Duh! You can't cut all conventional and replace with renewables.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/th ... d=msedgntp

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

km1125

Re: The Wind Turbine Failures Behind Europe's Energy Crisis Are a Warning for America

Post by km1125 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:54 pm

I've been wondering recently... is there any source for getting the ACTUAL outputs of the local wind farms in the state? Does DTE or Consumers have to provide that info to the state in any form?

km1125

Re: The Wind Turbine Failures Behind Europe's Energy Crisis Are a Warning for America

Post by km1125 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:14 pm

While poking around, I stumbled on this:
2018 Wind Farm Accidents
In 2018 a maintenance worker slipped and fell off a turbine, but was saved by his safety harness. The worker was from Oklahoma and reported to be dangling from a wind turbine in the Sigel Wind Farm in the Upper Thumb. He was rescued and safely lowered to the ground. He was taken to hospital as a precaution but not injured

2019 Wind Farm Accidents
The only major incident of note in 2019 for the state of Michigan was a fire in April. A fire was reported at Turbine #17, Harvest Wind II wind farm in Huron County on the 1st of April. Flaming debris was reported to be scattered across the ground. This is the second issue with turbines at this wind farm – in 2016 one “shook itself apart”.

In May 2019, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula a blade broke off a wind turbine in Garden Peninsula wind farm. The farm is run by Heritage Sustainable Energy.

That was just 2018 and 2019... there's more here:
https://thumbwind.com/michigan-wind-far ... incidents/

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 pm

I heard about a of couple of those, but that is crazy.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm

So, is it your verdict that we shouldn't try to capture wind energy?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm
It certainly shows the need for more preventive maintenance and safety precautions. And reporting. Why haven't we heard about it? Envirowackos covering it up? Probably, because they control the media.

Obviously, windmills aren't harmless.
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:25 pm
I'm not sure who that question was directed to. If it was me, then my response would be:

No, not necessarily. But we should understand ALL the costs to put these up and remove the false advertising and hype.

For example, most of the time you see things like "this wind farm would power 100,000 homes", which might be true if all the turbines were running at 100% of their rated power 100% of the time.

But they don't. They don't because of downtime due to maintenance. They have downtime due to failures (see a couple examples above). And they have downtime due to lack of wind or excessive wind. In fact, the AVERAGE wind in the thumb area is about 9.2 MPH. The turbines they use in that area aren't even commanded to turn on unless the wind is over 10 MPH, so effectively they don't even run HALF the time. The actual average output in Michigan is about 28% of rated value. So, in the earlier case, instead of 100,000 homes, the should more honestly say 28,000 homes.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:43 pm

Bruce County in Ontario, along L Huron, there are several wind farms each with dozens of windmills. I drive up that way once or twice a year. It always puzzles me why so many of the windmills are idle, not even spinning, even when there's a stiff breeze.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:24 pm

They are broke.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:11 am

Exploring and researching alternative electrical sources is a good thing. Trying to make all energy "renewable" is just plain something crazy. It is just one more crazy idea to bring down Western Civilization. Life is not sustainable without fossil fuels in temperate climates. If China and Russia continue to promote and subvert with these crazy ideas for the West, they will surely ruin and take over the Western World. At that point, they would revert to fossil fuels. Deep down, you know it.
Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic