Acceptable registrations in the queue through June 3 at 5:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Superhuman Immunity

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
FakeAndyStuart

Superhuman Immunity

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 am

Many folks on here talk about "natural immunity" that somehow is as good as "vaccine immunity." It seems combining the two can create something even better....

Science Magazine Article
Several studies have now shown that at least some people who were infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020 and immunized with mRNA vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna this year have "superhuman" or "hybrid immunity," meaning they produce very high levels of antibodies that are able to neutralize SARS-CoV-2 variants

Deleted User 14896

Re: Superhuman Immunity

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:12 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 am
....immunized with mRNA vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna .....
Is the Johnson & Johnson also a mRNA vaccine? If not, what's the difference?
Thanks.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:11 am

Good question, but I didn't write that, just quoted from the story. The actual story (available at the link) also talks about AstraZenica and Johnson and Johnson.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:27 am

J&J is NOT an mRNA vaccine.

Info here:
https://www.vcuhealth.org/news/covid-19 ... oronavirus.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:42 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 am
Many folks on here talk about "natural immunity" that somehow is as good as "vaccine immunity." It seems combining the two can create something even better....

Science Magazine Article
Several studies have now shown that at least some people who were infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020 and immunized with mRNA vaccines like Pfizer or Moderna this year have "superhuman" or "hybrid immunity," meaning they produce very high levels of antibodies that are able to neutralize SARS-CoV-2 variants
I've been reading about hybrid immunity for a few weeks, and I do believe that is how we get out of this. With the mounting evidence that vaccinated infections are not likely to be severe, it's a wonder that vaccinated people are wearing masks at all. I'm wondering if masked vaccinated idiots are contributing to the prolonged pandemic in the same way the unvaccinated are.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 am

The hybrid immunity argument is a compelling one.

Bear in mind many of the "masked idiots" wear one to help protect the UN-vaccinated.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:11 am

The Cleveland clinic study, however, which looked at over 50,000 healthcare employees, concluded that people with natural immunity gain little to no benefit by getting vaccinated.

(though they have seemingly backpedaled from that assessment with the emergence of the Delta variant, even though they don't have any actual evidence to change their stance - https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/20 ... -research/ )

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 am
The hybrid immunity argument is a compelling one.

Bear in mind many of the "masked idiots" wear one to help protect the UN-vaccinated.
But what if it does NOT help unvaccinated?
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 am

More studies than not say it does provide some help.

But, to answer your strawman hypothetical, under such a scenario, mask wearing for COVID infection prevention purposes would be useless.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:11 am
The Cleveland clinic study, however, which looked at over 50,000 healthcare employees, concluded that people with natural immunity gain little to no benefit by getting vaccinated. (though they have seemingly backpedaled from that assessment with the emergence of the Delta variant, even though they don't have any actual evidence to change their stance - https://newsroom.clevelandclinic.org/20 ... -research/ )
You just want to fight, don't you? I've read the Science magazine article (of course, didn't understand half the big words) but one sentence sticks out -
Overall, hybrid immunity to SARS-CoV-2 appears to be impressively potent.
Get the vaccine, don't get it - I truly don't care. However, I don't want to be around you if you are vaccine free. just as I prefer not to be around people who smoke. Can we have "vaccine sections" in restaurants like we used to have "smoking sections?"

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 am

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 am
...Get the vaccine, don't get it - I truly don't care. However, I don't want to be around you if you are vaccine free. just as I prefer not to be around people who smoke. Can we have "vaccine sections" in restaurants like we used to have "smoking sections?"
That just doesn't make any sense at all.

If they 'hybrid immunity' is such a great thing, then vaccinated folks should WANT to be exposed to anyone who is likely carrying the virus, so their system can be exposed and develop their own natural immunities.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:28 am
More studies than not say it does provide some help.

But, to answer your strawman hypothetical, under such a scenario, mask wearing for COVID infection prevention purposes would be useless.
It's not a strawman hypothetical - the only people I have sympathy for are those under 12. If people that choose not to receive a READILY-AVAILABLE vaccine, then why the fuck should I care about their bad choices?

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 am

km1125 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:07 am
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:54 am
...Get the vaccine, don't get it - I truly don't care. However, I don't want to be around you if you are vaccine free. just as I prefer not to be around people who smoke. Can we have "vaccine sections" in restaurants like we used to have "smoking sections?"
That just doesn't make any sense at all.

If they 'hybrid immunity' is such a great thing, then vaccinated folks should WANT to be exposed to anyone who is likely carrying the virus, so their system can be exposed and develop their own natural immunities.
It makes perfect sense, actually. It's idiotic to intentionally try to get infected. Going about your normal life without fear is the goal. Doing the smart thing and getting vaccinated isn't really that hard to figure out. You can't fix stupid.

Re: Andy's point on smoking - these anti-vaxxers are probably the same people still pissed they can't light up a Marlboro anywhere they damn well please.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:16 am

I don't disagree with the last remark. Those who refuse to get vaccinated then fall severely ill have no one to blame but themselves.

I've said all along vaccinated adults should not be required to wear masks unless future data show vaccines are of questionable effectiveness against new variants.

I see you just made a new post; I fully agree with that one.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:44 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 am
It's idiotic to intentionally try to get infected. Going about your normal life without fear is the goal. Doing the smart thing and getting vaccinated isn't really that hard to figure out. You can't fix stupid.
I'm not sure I entirely agree with this. Going about your normal life may be each individual person's short-term goal, but the broader long-term goal should be to end the pandemic. And in my view, vaccinated people without natural immunity who get breakthrough cases and still spread the virus pose a threat to that longer term goal - especially if the virus just keeps circulating within that subgroup of people (ie, vaccinated people who have no natural immunity).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic