Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bye Bye NRA

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Bye Bye NRA

Post by TC Talks » Thu May 13, 2021 5:18 pm

It looks grim for the future of this organization.
Federal judge denies NRA attempt to declare bankruptcy

A federal judge Tuesday denied an effort by the National Rifle Association to file for bankruptcy protection, ruling that the gun rights group had filed the case in a bad-faith attempt to fend off a lawsuit by the New York attorney general.

“The Court finds, based on the totality of the circumstances, that the NRA’s bankruptcy petition was not filed in good faith but instead was filed as an effort to gain an unfair litigation advantage in the NYAG Enforcement Action and as an effort to avoid a regulatory scheme,” Judge Harlin Hale wrote in a 37-page decision.

The decision was a victory for New York Attorney General Letitia James, who filed a far-reaching civil suit against the group last August accusing top officials of fraud and self-dealing. NRA chief Wayne LaPierre and his legal team had contended that the lawsuit was a political act intended to destroy the organization.
Washington Post

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Re: Bye Bye NRA

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu May 13, 2021 5:39 pm

The NRA went too far - and is now going to pay the price.

Seems like there is some room for a more common sense approach than what the NRA offered.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 13, 2021 6:02 pm

I have no doubt that had the NRA (or an organization like it) never ever existed that our 2nd Amendment rights today would be virtually non-existent. I may not agree with all of the NRA's tactics, but I do give them credit for preserving our 2nd Amendment rights.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm

The footprint of the NRA in Washington still remains as strong as ever. There has been no meaningful movement in the Senate to pass even the most modest gun safety laws.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun May 16, 2021 11:46 am

bmw wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:02 pm
I have no doubt that had the NRA (or an organization like it) never ever existed that our 2nd Amendment rights today would be virtually non-existent. I may not agree with all of the NRA's tactics, but I do give them credit for preserving our 2nd Amendment rights.
It’s a money making organization… it ISED TO BE a hunters group… but now it’s just a way for those folks to make money and shill for manufacturers.

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm
The footprint of the NRA in Washington still remains as strong as ever. There has been no meaningful movement in the Senate to pass even the most modest gun safety laws.
Gun safety starts at home, and it should be personal responsibility issue.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am

G G wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 am
jadednihilist wrote:
Stats show whatever we've been doing hasn't been working. Gun violence rates in the US are abysmally bad.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am
G G wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:
Stats show whatever we've been doing hasn't been working. Gun violence rates in the US are abysmally bad.
Stats also show that 51% of our nations murders take place in just 2% of our counties. 68% take place in just 5% of the counties. The murders that take place in those counties are mostly concentrated in very small sections of those counties.

54% of the counties in the U.S. have NO murders.

Maybe, just maybe, rather than a gun problem it's a problem created by the people that have been in political control of those counties for years? Rather than concentrating on an inanimate object, we would be far better served focusing on the people who use those objects for criminal intent.

i have a neighbor who works in the prosecutors office in Wayne County, (even he wont LIVE in Wayne County) who tells me at this moment people who get caught with guns they aren't supposed to have are back on the street in 72 hours or less. Not much of a deterrent.

Regarding the NRA, it's been in trouble for years. The GOA has been growing steadily since 1975.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 am
jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 8:03 am
G G wrote:
jadednihilist wrote:
Stats also show that 51% of our nations murders take place in just 2% of our counties. 68% take place in just 5% of the counties. The murders that take place in those counties are mostly concentrated in very small sections of those counties.

54% of the counties in the U.S. have NO murders.

Maybe, just maybe, rather than a gun problem it's a problem created by the people that have been in political control of those counties for years? Rather than concentrating on an inanimate object, we would be far better served focusing on the people who use those objects for criminal intent.

i have a neighbor who works in the prosecutors office in Wayne County, (even he wont LIVE in Wayne County) who tells me at this moment people who get caught with guns they aren't supposed to have are back on the street in 72 hours or less. Not much of a deterrent.

Regarding the NRA, it's been in trouble for years. The GOA has been growing steadily since 1975.
True, but this map also looks a lot like a population density map as well. It would make sense to me that sparsely populated land has lower crime rates than densely populated cities. Other countries with similar GDPs per capita are far more densely populated than most US urban centers, but gun violence is nowhere near as big of an issue.

I do agree that a lot of blame lies in decades of mismanagement by local governments, but the fault also extends to state and federal governments for allowing the problem to grow out of control for so long. At the federal level, we've been gridlocked for decades now.

G G

Post by G G » Mon May 24, 2021 11:53 pm

The problem in urban centers is the amount of violence attached to the drug trade. These people need fathers to teach them how to be men.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

hanson

Post by hanson » Tue May 25, 2021 8:06 am

G G wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:53 pm
The problem is the nra will cease to exists very soon and its members are attached to the drug trade. These people need grow a set.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic