Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Masks no longer required for the fully vaccinated

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Masks no longer required for the fully vaccinated

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Given the fact virtually anyone can get vaccinated for free on a walk-in basis pretty much anywhere in the country, and because vaccine efficacy appears strong, repeal of mandatory mask wearing makes perfect sense.

For the folks who refuse to get vaccinated (and have no history of severe vaccination reactions), I think health insurers should stick it to them with hefty premiums. I do realize some folks are unable to get vaccinated for legitimate reasons.

If new variants emerge where vaccine effectiveness is unknown, I will be cracking the masks back out.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 13, 2021 9:40 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:07 pm
I suspect Michigan will update policies pretty swiftly for reasons Robert Faygo outlined. After all, the entire premise has been "following the science."
Except if there's one thing we know about Whitmer, she does NOT like to be told by others what to do. And she already rolled out her plan - Michigan's mask mandate disappears when we hit 70% vaccination among adults. No way she's abandoning HER plan.

I'll make a prediction: her compromise is to drop that threshold to 65%.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm

I work as a nurse and regularly care for Covid patients. I’m also fully vaccinated. Because of my line of work, and the fact that we still have a large percentage of people who are not vaccinated, I will still wear a mask in crowded indoor places, like the grocery store. The vaccines are effective, but not 100 percent, so I’d hate to unknowingly put others at risk. If others choose not to, that’s on them. But, it’s beyond time to remove Covid-related restrictions.

I agree with Mark. Insurers should absolutely charge a premium on those who CHOOSE not to get vaccinated.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 pm

I disagree bmw. With Biden's statement this evening essentially backing the CDC's new guidance, my prediction is that the modification is that the mask mandate only applies to the unvaccinated with the rest of the plan staying the same.

There is little risk politically following the lead of the CDC and Biden on this. Keeping her heels dug in however would be a hvge political risk once the news stories multiply about the remaining states dropping mask mandates for the vaccinated.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu May 13, 2021 10:28 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm
I work as a nurse and regularly care for Covid patients. I’m also fully vaccinated. Because of my line of work, and the fact that we still have a large percentage of people who are not vaccinated, I will still wear a mask in crowded indoor places, like the grocery store. The vaccines are effective, but not 100 percent, so I’d hate to unknowingly put others at risk. If others choose not to, that’s on them. But, it’s beyond time to remove Covid-related restrictions.

I agree with Mark. Insurers should absolutely charge a premium on those who CHOOSE not to get vaccinated.
Kinda like how motorcycle helmets work.

I will do what I can while driving my car to protect motorcyclists, but for those that choose to ride, and further, ride helmetless, they need to take the extra responsibility to protect themselves.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm
The vaccines are effective, but not 100 percent, so I’d hate to unknowingly put others at risk.
Can I assume then that you also don't drive a vehicle?

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Fri May 14, 2021 11:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:54 pm
Given the fact virtually anyone can get vaccinated for free on a walk-in basis pretty much anywhere in the country, and because vaccine efficacy appears strong, repeal of mandatory mask wearing makes perfect sense.

For the folks who refuse to get vaccinated (and have no history of severe vaccination reactions), I think health insurers should stick it to them with hefty premiums. I do realize some folks are unable to get vaccinated for legitimate reasons.

If new variants emerge where vaccine effectiveness is unknown, I will be cracking the masks back out.
Sounds good but then those who have mental health problems should also be charged higher premiums.

Let’s not stop there, if you have a allergy, charge higher!

See how ridiculous that sounds and why it’s not possible

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri May 14, 2021 12:02 pm

SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:16 am
MWmetalhead wrote:

Sounds good but then those who have mental health problems should also be charged higher premiums.

Let’s not stop there, if you have a allergy, charge higher!

See how ridiculous that sounds and why it’s not possible
Sounds like an argument against privatized health insurance altogether. :hat

I think MW's argument is more analogous to auto insurance premiums: if you're a decidedly reckless driver, you rightfully have to pay more than a conscientious driver. I don't think it's the slippery slope you're making it out to be.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 pm

So, will those who previously were militant anti-maskers because they don't trust Biden and they don't trust science, become militant pro-maskers because they don't trust Biden and they don't trust science?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri May 14, 2021 2:39 pm

Governor Whitmer has lifted mask mandate for fully vaccinated folks in Michigan.
Anyone in Michigan who is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 does not need to wear a mask indoors or outdoors, according to a news release from the office of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

The updated guidance also nixes a mask mandate for anyone who is outside, and all state mask mandates are set to expire after July 1.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:47 pm

I ponder if money could be made selling t-shirts that say:

"Kiss Me
I've been vaccinated"

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 14, 2021 7:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
For the folks who refuse to get vaccinated (and have no history of severe vaccination reactions), I think health insurers should stick it to them with hefty premiums.
I wonder if a non-vaccinated status could constitute a "pre-existing" condition, and thus, what you're suggesting might be illegal?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:39 pm
Governor Whitmer has lifted mask mandate for fully vaccinated folks in Michigan.
Anyone in Michigan who is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 does not need to wear a mask indoors or outdoors, according to a news release from the office of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

The updated guidance also nixes a mask mandate for anyone who is outside, and all state mask mandates are set to expire after July 1.
Note one caveat.. businesses CAN and WILL REQUIRE masks in their establishments. Kroger and Meijer will… don’t ditch those masks just yet if you’re vaccinated.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Rate This wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm
Note one caveat.. businesses CAN and WILL REQUIRE masks in their establishments. Kroger and Meijer will… don’t ditch those masks just yet if you’re vaccinated.
Won't last long. Money is king, and as soon as they start losing customers, those policies will change in a hurry.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:18 pm

bmw wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:44 pm
Won't last long. Money is king, and as soon as they start losing customers, those policies will change in a hurry.
Or the other way around. Folks still leery of the virus may forgo WalMart and the others that no longer require a mask. And instead head to Kroger and Target and Meijer for ease of mind.

One thing I don't envy is the Meijer greeters tomorrow. It's going to get ugly when some customers try to stroll in maskless.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic