Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Joey Biden's gas lines and inflation

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
zzand

Re: Joey Biden's gas lines and inflation

Post by zzand » Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 am

Let me tell you all a funny story, true by the way. During the early days of lock downs, we were still working from the studio, never stopped and when the extra 600 in unemployment kicked in my Prod Director came to me and asked me to lay her off so she could pull in a grand a week for staying home and when it ran out she would come back. I told her no so she offered to give me 300 of the extra 600, a bribe, to lay her off and she did this in front of witnesses. She no longer is employed here, had her unemployment turned down due to the bribe and is working elsewhere for less. Her attitude is one of the reasons there are more jobs than people to fill them right now.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu May 27, 2021 9:04 am

This is a place where I feel like the answer is somewhere in the middle of both parties. On the one hand, it doesn't make sense for the government to disincentivize work by paying people more money to stay out of the job than they would if they worked full time. On the other hand, the wages currently being offered are untenable with the rising costs of living. Offering absolutely zero olive branches purely based on some moral high ground principle (e.g. I sacrificed and suffered therefore everyone else must do the same) is only going to perpetuate the conundrum that's building for decades that got us to this place. This all or nothing argument hasn't worked in practice.

I don't have the solution, but just brainstorming, I would think that a solution to the current labor shortage would involve not throwing people completely off unemployment the moment they find a lower wage job. If you have chosen to take unemployment checks X months, the justifications have to be stronger than they've been. Once you get a job, and the wage is insufficient to make ends meet, subsidize the difference. In the case of Bryce, instead of the government paying ~$600+/week, that number drops to about $100 for his employees. Or, as the Germans do, have the government subsidize employers to help them meet payroll.

Longer term, we really need to focus on investing on workforce training and efficient public transit. These aren't handouts as much as mitigating barriers to upward mobility - a metric this country performs abysmally given our GDP. Most people find dignity and a sense of purpose in their work and ability to provide for their families; don't make it harder on them just because some people abuse the system.

P.S.: Yes, the rent for a basic two bedroom apartment does exceed $1000/month. $300/mo car insurance is high - especially if you've got a clean driving record. However, the costs of car maintenance do break the bank for many. You also can't expect people to save money to weather financial hardships if you they can't find enough income to afford costs of living. Something has to give.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu May 27, 2021 9:49 am

G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 am
Turkeytop wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:33 am
G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:10 am
The makers should set the bar for fair wages until unemployment is at 0.00%. The takers skate by on welfare programs, which drives up the cost of labor. Makers have to work harder so the takers can be lazy. That's all it is.

In my world, we bargain collectively with our employer for a fair wage.
If you don't like what I'm paying, go find someone else who will pay you what you want. 'nuff said.
And that's just what those Arby's workers did...

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu May 27, 2021 9:58 am

Bryce wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 8:29 pm

At this moment, in the State of Michigan, you are eligible for up to 336.00 in state unemployment with an additional 300.00 kicked in and on top of that by the federal government due to a Biden extension.

Pretty tough for a guy like me that pays 500.00 a week as a starting wage to attract people. I won't go higher for two reasons. 1, my business model is based upon this wage, which I think is very fair. And 2, with this position, there is a fair amount of training that needs to be done. Why should colleges charge to teach people how to do things and I have to pay people more than 500.00 per week to do the same thing?
1) So $500 is fair.. to you and your business model. How can you consider it fair to the worker you are paying? What does it cost someone to work for you, as well as live a reasonably comfortable life.
2) Colleges also provide a wide variety of skills and contacts for life in business and society. Are the skills you're teaching transferable or only applicable to your business?

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 9:04 am
This is a place where I feel like the answer is somewhere in the middle of both parties.
I'm not going to repost the entire comment here, but this is another sane discussion of the situation. Let me add two things:

1) People are not going to apply for a job anywhere they feel they might get sick. Is your business COVID proof?
2) Many young parents can't go back to work 'til kids go back to school.

Health care and child care are important parts of attracting and keeping good talent.
But it isn't market conditions that is causing the pay to be insufficient, it's government interference.
Please show me the study that says current unemployment payments are causing people not to take jobs. I'm reading a study right now that says that extra $300/week is not the problem. (But since it is in the New York Times, I'm sure you will all start screaming Fake News.)

Let me tell you all a funny story, true by the way.
There are bad actors everywhere. Especially in this stupid business we call radio (want proof, just look what I did to blow my cushy job with the Cloud Company). That doesn't prove that the enhanced unemployment benefits are causing the labor shortage.
It's 2:46AM in the morning and I'm having to work on a project because a contractor of ours dipped out on us because he could make more doing nothing than he does working. I consider that a problem, and not one caused by the wage we pay, but a problem created by the government incentivizing sloth.
Again, anecdotal evidence ... and independent contractors don't get benefits anyway, so this story smells from the start.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm

I think what some of you fail to grasp is that the 500.00 per week is a STARTING wage for an entry level position for someone with limited work experience in the 18 to 26 age range. A talented hard working individual can easily progress to earning upwards of 50,000.00 per year by the end of year one.

Most small business owners in my cohort are experiencing similar challenges at the entry level. I don't buy that extended unemployment isn't somewhat the cause.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Thu May 27, 2021 12:57 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 pm
I think what some of you fail to grasp is that the 500.00 per week is a STARTING wage for an entry level position for someone with limited work experience in the 18 to 26 age range. A talented hard working individual can easily progress to earning upwards of 50,000.00 per year by the end of year one.

Most small business owners in my cohort are experiencing similar challenges at the entry level. I don't buy that extended unemployment isn't somewhat the cause.
Thank you for the clarification. I'll assume that this is a competitive wage/salary/package for the job position - especially in that age range. I genuinely wish that you fill your positions.

I'll also say that during the height of the pandemic, It definitely made sense to have the option to pay people to stay home. That's not really the case anymore, although there are legitimate special health exceptions to the rule that should be taken into account. My comments were made in a more general sense. And please note, my position advocates for a radically different needs-based approach to unemployment assistance that subsidizes wages for working people. I'm specifically advocating the current all-or-nothing approach. That, at least on paper, should both increase the number of people working AND cut some waste in public spending.

I certainly appreciate hard work and sacrifice, but also see where a nudge of assistance can go a long way in overcoming several barriers.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 1:38 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:09 am
It's 2:46AM in the morning and I'm having to work on a project because a contractor of ours dipped out on us because he could make more doing nothing than he does working. I consider that a problem, and not one caused by the wage we pay, but a problem created by the government incentivizing sloth.
Again, anecdotal evidence ... and independent contractors don't get benefits anyway, so this story smells from the start.
I don't need to defend myself to you, son. But if you must know, we use contractors who work with us in part-time side gig roles. You may not understand the way business works but many independent contractors are people who are doing side gig work. A part of our business model is to rely on several contractors than hire a few workers because our services require specific knowledge across several areas. Its better for us to have many side gig workers than a few generalists. So go smell yourself.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 7:58 am
Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 11:44 pm

With all due respect, what you consider fair is irrelevant. If the labor market demonstrates your pay is insufficient to attract workers then your business model is faulty for current market conditions and needs to be reevaluated. If at a later time conditions change then your model should change as well. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
But it isn't market conditions that is causing the pay to be insufficient, it's government interference.
But Bryce government actions have always been a part of market conditions. Companies have entire departments full of talented people who do nothing else during the day but to analyze how legislative policies, guidelines, rulings and initiatives are going to effect their business. Labor is just but one component. When the cost of raw materials rises due to something like a tariff or embargo it's great for some business, disaster for others. Same with transportation, marketing and all those tools that constitutes the operation of a successful business.

Again, if you're unable to respond to changes in the marketplace that hurt your bottom line, you need a new business plan.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu May 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 pm

Again, if you're unable to respond to changes in the marketplace that hurt your bottom line, you need a new business plan.
I've already instituted it. I'm more hands on than I want to be and am only accepting high margin clients for the time being. Because of that, P and L's are just dandy.

In September when the 300.00 federal stay at home payments go away, we'll see what happens.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu May 27, 2021 3:18 pm

Bryce wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:13 pm
Thu May 27, 2021 2:05 pm

I've already instituted it. I'm more hands on than I want to be and am only accepting high margin clients for the time being. Because of that, P and L's are just dandy.

In September when the 300.00 federal stay at home payments go away, we'll see what happens.
Good, I'm genuinely happy for you. I hope the changes you've made not only work out for your business but enable you and your employees to thrive. Honest.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu May 27, 2021 5:12 pm

G G wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 1:38 pm
I don't need to defend myself to you, son. << Gee thanks Dad. Mom does still miss you...>> But if you must know, we use contractors who work with us in part-time side gig roles. You may not understand the way business works << sure glad you are here to explain, PaPa >>but many independent contractors are people who are doing side gig work. A part of our business model is to rely on several contractors than hire a few workers because our services require specific knowledge across several areas. Its better for us to have many side gig workers than a few generalists. << Of course it is, no nasty benefits or job protection and you pay them under the table anyway, right Padre >> So go smell yourself << I have, it's a wonderful lavender parfum >> .
Your argument still doesn't make sense. In Michigan, you can collect unemployment and stay working at your side gig (which side do you make them lay on?) AND still get the full fed $300 supplement on top. (I don't have time to look up all 49 other states, too busy moving from side to side.)

No, you don't have to defend yourself. Which is good, cause you're not very good at it.

G G

Post by G G » Thu May 27, 2021 6:38 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:12 pm
In Michigan, you can collect unemployment and stay working at your side gig
When these ham and eggers get enough from not working, they will just refuse to work, even if they can make more. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:46 pm

FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 5:12 pm
Your argument still doesn't make sense. In Michigan, you can collect unemployment and stay working at your side gig (which side do you make them lay on?) AND still get the full fed $300 supplement on top. (I don't have time to look up all 49 other states, too busy moving from side to side.)
[/quote]

Fake is right. I know some people that were working at a job that paid $110 a week before the pandemic lockdown. 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. They didn't work when the schools were closed.

When schools re-opened, the same pay they were getting before anyone heard of Covid-19 wasn't enough to disqualify them from continuing to get some of their unemployment.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 pm

G G wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:51 pm
It took me 25 minutes to get my arbys today. Before this shit started, arbys never had a line. these people need to get back to work.
Bitch boy needs his Arby's. Oh damn, Chad.
Last edited by MotorCityRadioFreak on Thu May 27, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic