Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jobs report

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Jobs report

Post by TC Talks » Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 pm

I have helped hire over 55 people in the last month in six states. We didn't consider a wage under $15 an hour in each of the cases.

With each posting we had at least 100 applications some qualified some not.

The people who seem to be complaining the most about the unemployed not wanting to return to work are those who have no plan on paying more than about 10% above minimum wage. I have no sympathy for their lack of business savvy.

The only National restaurant chains suffering are those that can't create enough value in their offerings to adjust their pay rates to a livable wage. Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Popeyes, five guys are having no trouble keeping and finding employees.
Republicans cast the report as a sign of failure for Mr. Biden’s policies, even though job creation has accelerated since Mr. Biden replaced President Donald J. Trump in the White House. And they called on Mr. Biden to end the $300 per week unemployment supplement.

“This is a stunning economic setback, and unequivocal proof that President Biden is sabotaging our jobs recovery with promises of higher taxes and regulation on local businesses that discourage hiring and drive jobs overseas,” Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, the top Republican on the Ways and Means Committee, said in a news release. “The White House is also in denial that many businesses — both small and large — can’t find the workers they need.”

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said the weak report indicated the more generous jobless benefit was hurting employers.

The jobs report “begins to confirm that this is a barrier — not the only barrier, but a barrier — to filling open positions in the recovery,” said Neil Bradley, the Chamber’s executive vice president and chief policy officer. “We absolutely have to begin to make the preparation to turn the supplement off. The sooner we do that, the sooner it’s going to become clear how this has been holding us back.”

Mr. Biden rejected that view and took aim at what he said was “loose talk that Americans just don’t want to work.”

“The data shows that more workers are looking for jobs, and many can’t find them,” he said.

Asked directly by a reporter if he believed the enhanced benefits had any effect on the job gains, Mr. Biden replied, “No, nothing measurable.”

Administration officials stress that the monthly employment numbers are volatile and subject to revision and that the average gain over the last three months remains well above the pace of job creation that Mr. Biden inherited when he took office in January. They say any clogs in the labor market are likely to be temporary and that the recovery will smooth out once more working-age Americans are fully vaccinated.

“This is progress,” Heather Boushey, a member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said in an interview. “We are adding an average of over 500,000 jobs a month” over the last three months, she said. “That’s evidence that our approach is working, that the president’s approach is working. It also emphasizes the steep climb coming out of this crisis.”
NY Times

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14896

Re: Jobs report

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:51 pm

I agree 100 percent with you.
I'm not sure about your area. But around me places paying $15+ are begging for workers.

We got two Tim Hortons that just closed the doors claiming they can't get no one. Haven't been open for a couple of weeks now.

I don't understand it. They could jack the price up 25 cents on every item on the menu and still have a line out to the road. Oh well.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri May 07, 2021 11:23 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:47 pm
I have helped hire over 55 people in the last month in six states. We didn't consider a wage under $15 an hour in each of the cases.

With each posting we had at least 100 applications some qualified some not.

The people who seem to be complaining the most about the unemployed not wanting to return to work are those who have no plan on paying more than about 10% above minimum wage. I have no sympathy for their lack of business savvy.

The only National restaurant chains suffering are those that can't create enough value in their offerings to adjust their pay rates to a livable wage. Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Popeyes, five guys are having no trouble keeping and finding employees.
Republicans cast the report as a sign of failure for Mr. Biden’s policies, even though job creation has accelerated since Mr. Biden replaced President Donald J. Trump in the White House. And they called on Mr. Biden to end the $300 per week unemployment supplement.

“This is a stunning economic setback, and unequivocal proof that President Biden is sabotaging our jobs recovery with promises of higher taxes and regulation on local businesses that discourage hiring and drive jobs overseas,” Representative Kevin Brady of Texas, the top Republican on the Ways and Means Committee, said in a news release. “The White House is also in denial that many businesses — both small and large — can’t find the workers they need.”

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce said the weak report indicated the more generous jobless benefit was hurting employers.

The jobs report “begins to confirm that this is a barrier — not the only barrier, but a barrier — to filling open positions in the recovery,” said Neil Bradley, the Chamber’s executive vice president and chief policy officer. “We absolutely have to begin to make the preparation to turn the supplement off. The sooner we do that, the sooner it’s going to become clear how this has been holding us back.”

Mr. Biden rejected that view and took aim at what he said was “loose talk that Americans just don’t want to work.”

“The data shows that more workers are looking for jobs, and many can’t find them,” he said.

Asked directly by a reporter if he believed the enhanced benefits had any effect on the job gains, Mr. Biden replied, “No, nothing measurable.”

Administration officials stress that the monthly employment numbers are volatile and subject to revision and that the average gain over the last three months remains well above the pace of job creation that Mr. Biden inherited when he took office in January. They say any clogs in the labor market are likely to be temporary and that the recovery will smooth out once more working-age Americans are fully vaccinated.

“This is progress,” Heather Boushey, a member of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said in an interview. “We are adding an average of over 500,000 jobs a month” over the last three months, she said. “That’s evidence that our approach is working, that the president’s approach is working. It also emphasizes the steep climb coming out of this crisis.”
NY Times
but i wAnT mY sAnDwIcH.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 pm

So basically, ongoing unemployment benefits are just an end-around actual minimum wage increases since those won't pass through Congress. Basically, just pay people enough so that they won't work for anything less than $15 an hour and you end up with a de-facto minimum wage, with the added benefit (if you're a Democrat politician) of enlarging the government-dependence class, and thus, enlarging the group of lifetime Democrat voters. Quite the scam you got going.

At the end of the day, what this is doing is accelerating the move towards more and more automation and fewer and fewer jobs. Robots don't take sick days and don't need to get paid. Make labor unaffordable, and big companies will seek alternate forms of productivity.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat May 08, 2021 9:42 am

bmw wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:40 pm
So basically, ongoing unemployment benefits are just an end-around actual minimum wage increases since those won't pass through Congress. Basically, just pay people enough so that they won't work for anything less than $15 an hour and you end up with a de-facto minimum wage, with the added benefit (if you're a Democrat politician) of enlarging the government-dependence class, and thus, enlarging the group of lifetime Democrat voters. Quite the scam you got going.

At the end of the day, what this is doing is accelerating the move towards more and more automation and fewer and fewer jobs. Robots don't take sick days and don't need to get paid. Make labor unaffordable, and big companies will seek alternate forms of productivity.
The real trouble is that there is no clear link between the increased unemployment benefits and folks not going and getting jobs. So the folks saying that are overplaying their hand. Plus states are now moving to limit the length of time or withdraw altogether from the program.

Most likely this is a blip on the radar... quite often when digging out of deep recessions we have wild jumps up and less up in the jobs numbers... we need 2-3 more months data to draw a conclusion.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 08, 2021 10:43 am

Given how long the government restrictions lasted (and in many ways are still in effect), this is going to be a bit more than just a "blip" I fear.

As to no clear link, I can only speak to what I see with my business clients where I live, but they are almost universally telling me that either: a) they can't find help, or
b) the help they do find is lazy and doesn't want to work.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 08, 2021 2:12 pm

People are done with zero work-life balance. It is disgraceful how many companies contract out their work and give pitiful benefits. Then, when enough employees complain, they get rid of the shitty contractor and bring in the next one. I have been there and witness the eventual direct hire lies. It's disgusting.

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:02 pm

If bad direct-hires weren't such a pain in the butt to get rid of, companies would rarely hire contractors except for temporary work. You can get rid of a bad contractor without any issues but if that same person was a direct hire it brings too much risk to the table.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 08, 2021 7:29 pm

km1125 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:02 pm
If bad direct-hires weren't such a pain in the butt to get rid of, companies would rarely hire contractors except for temporary work. You can get rid of a bad contractor without any issues but if that same person was a direct hire it brings too much risk to the table.
Just permitting these idiots to get richer. It's fucking disgusting.

Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Sat May 08, 2021 7:56 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:29 pm
km1125 wrote:
The point of running a business is to make money, you get that, right? If you become valuable, you get to stay. Business isn't about guarantees, its about opportunities. Maybe once you figure that out, you'll beco.e a maker instead of a taker.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:43 am
Given how long the government restrictions lasted (and in many ways are still in effect), this is going to be a bit more than just a "blip" I fear.

As to no clear link, I can only speak to what I see with my business clients where I live, but they are almost universally telling me that either: a) they can't find help, or
b) the help they do find is lazy and doesn't want to work.
so both parties manipulate the politics for their constituencies benefits. I will always vote to grow wealth amongst the middle class and lower class in this country because it is a benefit to the entire economy. Compare that to a billionaire who just stores the money and does not circulate it, we are a better country when we have employees with livable wages. Small businesses directly benefit from the middle class having money to spend.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat May 08, 2021 11:19 pm

G G wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:56 pm
km1125 wrote:
The point of running a business is to make money, you get that, right? If you become valuable, you get to stay. Business isn't about guarantees, its about opportunities. Maybe once you figure that out, you'll beco.e a maker instead of a taker.
You can make money without screwing over the help. Think Apple and Microsoft.

Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Sat May 08, 2021 11:26 pm

Sat May 08, 2021 11:19 pm
G G wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Stop being retarded and read some things. I can't even bother tugging your chain if you're this damn dumb. Jesus

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat May 08, 2021 11:39 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:10 pm
I will always vote to grow wealth amongst the middle class and lower class in this country because it is a benefit to the entire economy. Compare that to a billionaire who just stores the money and does not circulate it, we are a better country when we have employees with livable wages. Small businesses directly benefit from the middle class having money to spend.
There's a big difference between money and wealth. Simply printing money we don't have and handing it out to the lower and lower-middle class adds literally ZERO to the cumulative "wealth" in this country. It used to be we taxed the rich and gave that money to the poor, thereby redistributing the wealth. Now we're not even doing that - we're $28,000,000,000,000.00 in debt and we're printing trillions more and just giving it away. Wealth comes from the production of goods and services. People living off of government paychecks are contributing neither, but rather, are simply diluting the value of the dollar by using it to buy goods or services when the dollar they just spent didn't come as a result of either being produced. The intermediate effect of this is going to be significant inflation. Even Warren Buffet says significant inflation is happening already. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/warren- ... rices.html

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun May 09, 2021 1:09 am

G G wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:26 pm
Sat May 08, 2021 11:19 pm
G G wrote:
km1125 wrote:
Are you kidding me? Stop being retarded and read some things. I can't even bother tugging your chain if you're this damn dumb. Jesus
Yep. You need Jesus down there in Jesus land.

Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic