Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Re: Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Post by Matt » Sun May 09, 2021 10:40 am

Honeyman wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:37 pm
G G wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:12 pm
Its no lie that Liz Cheney's breath smells like fish.
As usual, a stupid, non-sensical, gay-bashing, idiotic quote from the biggest dope on the site.
Look at the guys signature: he thinks Trump is the greatest president ever. He's also a dumb bigot - Liz Cheney is married and has 5 kids. Her sister is married to a woman.

Trump lost to a dementia patient, why should he be glorified?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Trump Proves His Hold Over GOP Again As House Leaders Prepare To Purge Liz Cheney

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 09, 2021 11:02 am

To BMW: that polling data - while very interesting - I think is largely a byproduct of the seeds sown by Trump and his minions.

"The Election was stolen!"
"The Election was rigged!"
"Twice as many people voted in Detroit as were on the voting rolls!"
"We fight like hell and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”
btw - what specific actions has Joe Biden taken to unify the country? I sure haven't seen any. He talks unity, but he hasn't actually done ANYTHING to bring about said unity that I have seen. I think your hatred for Donald Trump is clouding your judgment of Joe Biden.
You are absolutely right that Biden could and should do more on policy grounds, but at least he doesn't resort on an almost daily basis to the inflammatory rhetoric that became a hallmark of Trump's time in office, and in particular, from last September until Inauguration Day.

I think the way one conducts himself rhetorically matters, and although Biden definitely lacked class at times while campaigning (challenging the elderly man in Iowa to a push-up contest was embarrassing), so far he has shown class as President - with the noteworthy exception of the handling of his aggressive dog.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 9:41 am
km1125 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:38 am
craig11152 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 am
Four more years of Trump scared me for an already divided country.
And yet it's already WORSE under Biden and company!!
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 am
How so?
Let's start with approval rating gaps by party. This per Gallup based on polling in each President's first 3 months in office:

50 - Bill Clinton
57 - George W. Bush
56 - Barrack Obama
77 - Donald Trump
86 - Joe Biden

https://news.gallup.com/poll/346622/bid ... yndication

The breakdown of that 86 percent number? Joe Biden's approval rating among Democrats is at 96 and among Republicans is at 10.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:07 am
Sorry, but when it comes to unifying the country, Trump by far has the worst track record of any President of my lifetime.
This is quantitatively incorrect based on the above polling data. Having 96 percent of your own party support you while only 10 percent of the opposition party support you is about as divided as you can get.

btw - what specific actions has Joe Biden taken to unify the country? I sure haven't seen any. He talks unity, but he hasn't actually done ANYTHING to bring about said unity that I have seen. I think your hatred for Donald Trump is clouding your judgment of Joe Biden.
You're using facts. They're using feelings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 pm

I think one needs to assess why those numbers are as they are, which is what I attempted to do earlier.

Partisanship increased significantly during Trump's time in office. Note the big spike for Trump compared to his three predecessors.

Certainly, Trump doesn't deserve all of the blame. Congressional Democrats and various "news" organizations certainly added fuel to the fire and far more often than not made no attempt to be diplomatic. That said, I think the President has a duty to rise above all that fracas.

Instead, Trump whined like a little baby about the SNL parodies (whereas Newt Gingrich during the 90's embraced and loved Chris Farley's parody of him as House Speaker), refused to attend the WH Correspondents dinners, refused to attend the Biden inauguration, etc.

I think if a President with a (-D) behind his name or her name conducted himself or herself in office like Trump did, some of you would be not nearly as tolerant.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 09, 2021 6:32 pm

So MW, am I to take it that your explanation for Biden's sky-high (probably record-breaking) approval rating of 96% among Democrats is in-part simply because he isn't Donald Trump? I suspect Obama had similar high approval ratings early in his Presidency simply because he wasn't GW Bush.

Your points are generally fair points, though I would suggest that your comment that "Congressional Democrats and various 'news' organizations certainly added fuel to the fire and far more often than not made no attempt to be diplomatic" is being too kind to the media and to Congressional Democrats. It wasn't just "more often than not" - it was ALWAYS. Democrats, all of the mainstream media, and also all of late-night TV was absolutely ruthless towards Trump from Day 1, and they remained steadfast in that mode for the entirety of his Preisdency, almost never giving him credit for literally anything. Trump is Trump, people got what they voted for in him, but I think that had he gotten something even approaching a fair shake in the media that he would have been considerably more diplomatic as a President. You say he needs to rise above that, and I agree, but in my lifetime I've never seen any President receive anything close to the negative, combative treatment on a day-to-day basis that Trump received. I believe the media was actively engaged in making sure that there was no way in hell Trump was going to have a 2nd term. So while I disagree with his assessment that there was a literal "rigging" of the election, I do believe that many of the institutions that aren't supposed to take sides did take sides and that said taking of sides had an influence on how a certain number of people voted.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 09, 2021 7:42 pm

So MW, am I to take it that your explanation for Biden's sky-high (probably record-breaking) approval rating of 96% among Democrats is in-part simply because he isn't Donald Trump?
100% correct.
late-night TV was absolutely ruthless towards Trump from Day 1,
Not sure I'd describe late night TV comedic bits and sarcasm as "ruthless."
I do believe that many of the institutions that aren't supposed to take sides did take sides and that said taking of sides had an influence on how a certain number of people voted.
I agree with this point, too. But aren't newspapers, for example, "taking sides" every time they endorse a candidate for office?

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun May 09, 2021 8:06 pm

But at least when a newspaper endorses a candidate, they are clearly stating where they stand. That is very different from "news" outlets/publications who either themselves and a publication or their anchors/authors portray themselves and neutral but are anything but neutral. Network Evening 6:30 news on ABC, NBC, and CBS are a perfect example of this.

I brought up late night entertainment shows as someone who grew up watching Leno and Letterman and is disappointed that there is no longer anybody on late night whom I enjoy watching. Night and day difference between how they treated politicians and how the likes of Colbert and Kimmel treated Trump.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Since day one, LITERALLY, Trump has put himself and his ego before the country he pledged to protect and serve. Rather than positively looking at the future of the nation, he whined about his inauguration crowd being bigger than Obamas. And it was all downhill from there. But I digress....

The point of this thread is the state of the Republican party. How they can throw a member of the party whose family has been at the forefront of the GOP for generations, a true loyal unabashed conservative, completely under the bus for SPEAKING. THE. TRUTH. Why? Only because they don't want to piss of Trump. Nobody on this thread can or will deny it. So you can complain about Jimmy Kimmell all you want, but it's like playing a fiddle while Rome burns. I would think this should, at the very least, make a Republican seriously question the values and direction of his party.

The censorship king from out of state.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun May 09, 2021 11:42 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm
Since day one, LITERALLY, Trump has put himself and his ego before the country he pledged to protect and serve. Rather than positively looking at the future of the nation, he whined about his inauguration crowd being bigger than Obamas. And it was all downhill from there. But I digress....

The point of this thread is the state of the Republican party. How they can throw a member of the party whose family has been at the forefront of the GOP for generations, a true loyal unabashed conservative, completely under the bus for SPEAKING. THE. TRUTH. Why? Only because they don't want to piss of Trump. Nobody on this thread can or will deny it. So you can complain about Jimmy Kimmell all you want, but it's like playing a fiddle while Rome burns. I would think this should, at the very least, make a Republican seriously question the values and direction of his party.
Donald Trump and his thugs have made it their #1 goal to knock off any Republican who doesn't agree with them. I know zzand was saying he hates it when the comparison is made, but it is truly shades of Hitler. And now he has coined the term "Big Lie" to counter Biden's win which is the same slogan used by Holocaust deniers. This brainwashing is frightening.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

"Expelling Liz Cheney from leadership won’t gain the GOP one additional voter, but it will cost us quite a few."----Mitt Romney

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 11, 2021 9:56 pm

What business is it anyways of you lefties out there who the Republicans internally choose to put into leadership positions? The answer is: none. No more than what business it is of mine that the Democrats choose Nancy Pelosi as the Leader of the House.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 12, 2021 5:45 am

bmw wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:56 pm
What business is it anyways of you lefties out there who the Republicans internally choose to put into leadership positions? The answer is: none. No more than what business it is of mine that the Democrats choose Nancy Pelosi as the Leader of the House.
It's everyone's concern to show free speech about who dictates policy. The Democrats are far from perfect, and the Republicans, well, let's just say that the lollipop guild that supports Majorie T Greene is very telling. I have contributed to different races and will continue to do so.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 am

bmw wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:56 pm
It’s all of our business… they still represent the country and if they want peoples votes then they should be making good decisions about who they put in charge and why. This is not one of those decisions. Jim Jordan was on Hannity last night calling Cheney’s House floor speech “Democrat talking points” for god sakes. Im no expert but Cheney is NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM a Democrat or anything resembling one. He just tried to claim “elephant, donkey, eh… same thing.”

These people in Republican leadership are insane, especially in light of slowly declining support for Trump in the country as he goes on and on about November being rigged. His schtick is getting tired. This will bite them in the ass in 2022.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 am

"This is not about policy. This is not about partisanship. This is about our duty as Americans," Cheney said. "Remaining silent and ignoring the lie emboldens the liar. I will not participate in that. I will not sit back and watch in silence, while others lead our party down a path that abandons the rule of law and joins the former president's crusade to undermine our democracy."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed May 12, 2021 9:38 am

It's done... Given the number of Republicans and independents who will never vote for Trump, I think it's a good step for the Democratic party.

I don't believe the Republican party will be moving forward if Trump is their only offering.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic