Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Can I Get That In Writing...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Bryce

Can I Get That In Writing...

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 am

During a speech at Tidewater Community College, President Joe Biden said; "The reason I’m bothering to do this is I keep hearing in the press ‘Biden’s going to raise your taxes’ – anybody making less than $400,000 a year will not pay a single penny in taxes."

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

jadednihilist

Re: Can I Get That In Writing...

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am

C'mon man - Biden has a well-documented stuttering problem that he masks and has always been prone to misspeaking. What he meant to say was "The reason I’m bothering to do this is I keep hearing in the press ‘Biden’s going to raise your taxes’ – anybody making less than $400,000 a year will not pay a single penny [more] in taxes" (source). That's a fundamentally different misspeak than enlightening us to the fact that "[Puerto Rico] is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am

Nice try but that is not what he said. I am sure your spin will be repeated time and time again but he said what he said. I would also like that in writing so when I do taxes next years I am assured of all taxes being refunded.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 04, 2021 10:32 am

zzand wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am
Nice try but that is not what he said. I am sure your spin will be repeated time and time again but he said what he said. I would also like that in writing so when I do taxes next years I am assured of all taxes being refunded.
He left a word out by mistake. Shit happens. It makes for an amusing sidebar but that’s about it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am

i have seen nothing from legit news sources about a word being left out.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 04, 2021 11:07 am

zzand wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
i have seen nothing from legit news sources about a word being left out.
I just provided a link that gives the official White House stance through prepared statements. It's not really that much of a logical leap. It is, however, completely illogical to assume that Biden actually believes anyone below the 99th percentile of income earners (<$360,000) should live tax-free. He misspoke and this is a non-story. There are a million other *real* policy stances that is completely reasonable to pick apart, such as his actual proposed amendments to marginal tax rates, the deficit, and spending.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 11:09 am

The folks that insisted on taking everything Trump said literally don't seem to hold Biden to the same standard.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am

The censorship king from out of state.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:09 am
The folks that insisted on taking everything Trump said literally don't seem to hold Biden to the same standard.
There is a such thing as degree of transgression. It's one thing to misspeak, it's another thing to routinely mistweet, or make claims that patently may only exist in alternative realities. I don't flip out at what I interpret to be misspeaking because I am quite susceptible to doing that, especially if my mind is on something else. I think I've made it pretty clear that I hold all politicians and people in power to a high and comparable standard - and am quite willful in pointing out where I disagree.

As to the quote cited in the OP, I would seriously question how little someone understand's Biden's policy positions and overall ideology if you take it seriously verbatim. It makes zero sense in context.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 am
As to the quote cited in the OP, I would seriously question how little someone understand's Biden's policy positions and overall ideology if you take it seriously verbatim. It makes zero sense in context.
You have a very valid point. It doesn't make sense to take a doddering old fool seriously. Wonder how many foreign powers feel the same way?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am
jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:23 am
You have a very valid point. It doesn't make sense to take a doddering old fool seriously. Wonder how many foreign powers feel the same way?
Judging by the last 4 years I would say almost all of them but especially the baddies.. 4 years with a non-entity in charge will do that to any country. Fortunately that’s over now.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Bryce wrote:
Except it was worse than that - people didn't take things Trump said literally; rather, they took them out of context and then put words into his mouth that he didn't even use. Injecting "bleach" is a perfect example.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue May 04, 2021 1:10 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:55 pm
Bryce wrote:
Except it was worse than that - people didn't take things Trump said literally; rather, they took them out of context and then put words into his mouth that he didn't even use. Injecting "bleach" is a perfect example.
Or "good people on both sides" meaning white supremacists are good people.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue May 04, 2021 2:49 pm

Bryce wrote:
The difference is Trump NEVER rolled back any of his dumb ass statements. Biden, unlike Trump (and parenthetically his supporters) is willing to admit that he's not infallible.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:49 pm
Bryce wrote:
The difference is Trump NEVER rolled back any of his dumb ass statements. Biden, unlike Trump (and parenthetically his supporters) is willing to admit that he's not infallible.
And why should he have? The media never retracted and/or apologized for any of their numerous baseless accusations against him or any of their out-of-context reports.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic