Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Florida School Threatens to Fire Teachers Who Get Vaccinated.

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Florida School Threatens to Fire Teachers Who Get Vaccinated.

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 pm

A Miami school has become a beacon for anti-vaxxers, drawing parents looking to enroll their kids and teachers looking for work

A fifth-grade math and science teacher peddled a bogus conspiracy theory Wednesday to students at Centner Academy, a private school in Miami, warning them that they should not hug parents who had been vaccinated against the coronavirus for more than five seconds because they might be exposed to harmful vaccine shedding.

Read entire story here,
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

Rate This

Re: Florida School Threatens to Fire Teachers Who Get Vaccinated.

Post by Rate This » Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 pm
A Miami school has become a beacon for anti-vaxxers, drawing parents looking to enroll their kids and teachers looking for work

A fifth-grade math and science teacher peddled a bogus conspiracy theory Wednesday to students at Centner Academy, a private school in Miami, warning them that they should not hug parents who had been vaccinated against the coronavirus for more than five seconds because they might be exposed to harmful vaccine shedding.

Read entire story here,
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html
Unfortunately it’s a private school... they can be as insane as they want. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be tossed off a cliff... only that doing so is verboten.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon May 03, 2021 8:19 pm

These are the same idiots who elected DeSantis.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:19 pm
These are the same idiots who elected DeSantis.
DeSantis might be the best governor in the country.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 pm

Rate This wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:10 pm

Unfortunately it’s a private school... they can be as insane as they want. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be tossed off a cliff... only that doing so is verboten.

So, a private sector employer can fire employees just for protecting their own health by following public health guidelines?

Admitting you have a problem is the second step. The first step is finding a problem you really enjoy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 pm

I know for certain it is legal for an employer to fire you for not getting vaccinated. As such, I assume the inverse (as absurd as it is) is probably true as well.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 pm

It's like firing an employee because he quit smoking or firing an employee because she started exercising.

kager

Post by kager » Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm

In some states, an employer doesn't need to supply a reason to fire someone.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 pm

kager wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:03 pm

So if I fire an employee because I don't like the skin colour of the guy she just married, it's Ok because I don't have to tel her my reason.

kager

Post by kager » Tue May 04, 2021 12:17 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 pm
kager wrote:

So if I fire an employee because I don't like the skin colour of the guy she just married, it's Ok because I don't have to tel her my reason.
Maybe. Doesn't mean you won't be labeled a turd for doing so...

I'm no lawyer (surprise!), but if you're not supplying the reason (which if done, could open you up to a visit from a Mr. or Ms. Litigation), at-will employees can be terminated at any time, without cause. They can also leave an employer in the same manner.

I'd venture the subject goes against just about every fibre of your being, but if you would like to read a good general overview on US At-Will Employment (one of the reasons there are so many lawyers in the US), brace yourself, and see here:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and ... rview.aspx

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 pm
kager wrote:

Now there's a grey area. Even in "at will" employment states an employee may not be terminated for an illegal reason such as their race, sex, age, religion, nationality, or disability. Nor can they be terminated for no reason if they are under a contract. Union or otherwise.

I wonder if race of a spouse would be covered under "race" in this instance? It does clearly protect an employee from being fired because of race. Do those protections extend to the spouse?

It may be a moot point if it can't be proven as the reason.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 04, 2021 8:35 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am
I wonder if race of a spouse would be covered under "race" in this instance? It does clearly protect an employee from being fired because of race. Do those protections extend to the spouse?
Anti-discrimination employment practices are statutory, so unless such a protection is explicitly listed in a statute somewhere, I highly doubt such protections extend to the spouse.

Now that said, if an employer fired someone because they married a black person or hung out with black friends, I'm sure that would create quite the uproar. But not illegal from what I can find.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am

Turkeytop wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 pm
It's like firing an employee because he quit smoking...
Well....if that employee is now a jerk to everybody because he/she is ornery all the time due to nicotine withdrawal...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am

Going out on a tangent here (surprise, eh?).

Is it fair for an employer not hire someone simply because they are a smoker? Or overweight? Or confined to a wheelchair?

Or have not vaccinated?

The couple of times I heard someone talking about it, their decision on who to hire was driven by employer health insurance premiums. The more healthy the work force, the lower the employer's cost.

Of course if it was blatant that was the reason, the applicant may have legal recourse. I'm thinking the job seeker could never prove such a thing.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pm

kager wrote:
I'm more accustomed to working with collective agreements with protection for workers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic