Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
G G

Re: Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Post by G G » Tue May 11, 2021 1:48 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 pm
hanson wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:33 am
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:55 am
We're talking IQ's huh? Well, 115 is 30 points higher than Trump.
You're mixing up saying stupid things to Low IQ.

Biden says all kinds of stupid things, and has for decades. Biden made completely false statements about his education and law school performance. In fact, he graduated 506th out of 688 in his undergraduate years, and 76th out of 85 in his law school class. Neither was at an Ivy League or other "Public Ivy League" prestigious institution either. That's about the 26th percentile undergraduate and 11th percentile in law school. However, he should run everything he says through the "Jillster Filter" before saying them.
Someone graduates last in their class in med school but they are still a doctor
This. GPAs aren't the infallible metric people make them out to be. The degree is nothing more than a pathway into a career. What matters is how you grow throughout your career.
You should be able to look at a document such as a dissertation and determine some qualities about someone. For example, their scholarly, practical, or policy agenda. The only quarrel I have with Jill's agenda is that the methods she used for the document are incredibly poor, and I would call her document specious if it wasn't for her poor form and style.

And this is what gets me, really. Her job is to teach English. Her knowledge of form and style is on display throughout the entire document. And that knowledge is poor. But yet libs are giving her a standing ovation for teaching when all signs point to her lacking knowledge to practice what she teaches.

She's a fraud!

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

jadednihilist

Re: Jill Biden: Bad Dissertation Writer; Applauded for Teaching English at Comm College

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 11, 2021 3:04 pm

You're judging her by the wrong metrics. An EdD is not the same as a PhD, although it certainly is appropriate to label holders of both degree types as Doctors. Her thesis is not intended to explain the sum of her training an EdD as it would be for a PhD in Education, as one degree is more administerial and the other is more academic. Nor is there any expectation that her thesis contributes anything novel as there would be with a PhD. Neither degrees are superior; they're just different.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 11, 2021 3:40 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:04 pm
You're judging her by the wrong metrics.
Nah, I'm not. I am making a judgement on her fit to teach English based on her poor use of form and style in the document and I am making a judgement on the quality of the document. In the first case, she does a shit job of adhering to basic tenets of writing and does not follow APA in the slightest. In the second case, the document is a rambling mess of a project, and it shows poor planning an synthesis of material. There is a paper-thin discussion of methods and her application of methodology and analysis is horrible. She poorly describes the purpose of the document, fails to support any assertions with citations, and where she is expected to perform analysis, she just copypastes data. There is an expectation of some type of analysis, you really dont see a description of how she would analyze and you don't really see analysis either. Also, from the standpoint of ethical considerations, I have to question an approach where the researcher names a participant. There really is no relevance in naming a participant other than to point to their authority on a topic, but then, why even read what she has to say, if she is depending on the authority of a respondent?
jadednihilist wrote:
An EdD is not the same as a PhD
lmao you don't say? thats kinda axiomatic, is it not?
jadednihilist wrote:
although it certainly is appropriate to label holders of both degree types as Doctors. Her thesis is not intended to explain the sum of her training an EdD as it would be for a PhD in Education, as one degree is more administerial and the other is more academic. Nor is there any expectation that her thesis contributes anything novel as there would be with a PhD. Neither degrees are superior; they're just different.
There most certainly is an expectation that a doctoral project for an EdD will contribute something that is novel. The difference is that degrees like DBAs and EdDs are practitioner-focused.

Thumb through that dissertation and look for form and style, and tell me that the form and style in that document is something you would expect rom an English teacher. The most basic tenets of writing a research report are missing. There is barely citation, so how is there synthesis of previous practical or scholarly writing to form the basis of a project. The problem is not evidence-based. Then, tell me about the methodology. I have read probably over a hundred EdD doctoral projects, capstones, dissertations, all the types of projects different schools throw at these people. My personal opinion is that EdDs are typically the lowest quality projects, but this is definitely the worst EdD dissertation I have read. If you have no method, you're just shooting from the hip. The analysis is so pisspoor, too. And it reflects a lack of methods.

I know you want me to be wrong on this, but I'm just not wrong.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 11, 2021 4:33 pm

I admittedly have no experience in working with EdD dissertations, so I will take your word for it. It's just my understanding that the dissertation is weighed less than it would be for a PhD, but do correct me if I'm wrong here. Regardless, she's done enough to meet her program's requirements; we all can feel free to agree or disagree with her committee.

Where I don't believe I'm wrong is using her dissertation has a basis for judging her ability to teach lower-level undergraduate English courses. Even with my PhD, I doubt anyone outside of my committee has or ever will read my dissertation since just about everything in there is published in journals.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 11, 2021 4:38 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:33 pm
Where I don't believe I'm wrong is using her dissertation has a basis for judging her ability to teach lower-level undergraduate English courses. Even with my PhD, I doubt anyone outside of my committee has or ever will read my dissertation since just about everything in there is published in journals.
I do not believe someone who shows as the poor understanding of APA, who has the abysmal grammar mechanics she uses, and that just pukes out the mess she did should be teaching English. I mean, even very basic stuff like using the "MEAL Plan" for writing, you don't see that in the disso. How the hell is she teaching composition when she can't do it herself?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 am
Too bad she doesn't have Melania Trump's credentials eh?

There's a credible story out there that trump leaked nude photos of her before the election.

You're back to that jealously thing, aren't you?

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Tue May 11, 2021 4:51 pm

I've always done a terrible job at remembering specifics for citation formats and style guides. Each journal is a bit different. Reviewing helps, but templates/style sheets/software is the way to go here.

I will concede that her dissertation lacks a literature review and the basis of her thesis is ill-defined, but to the extent that's a tipping point for an EdD is beyond my judgment. Since no one she's teaching is expected to write a dissertation, I don't think mastery of that format is particularly meaningful for inferences of her teaching abilities.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm

G G wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am
TC Talks wrote:

There's a credible story out there that trump leaked nude photos of her before the election.

Did Melania receive a standing ovation for her "teaching" background?

TC, I think you should review Jill's dissertation and reflect on its form and style, then consider that her role as a community college teacher is to teach English. Form and style alone would result in this document failing, even at the 100-level. No joke. This woman is about as braindead as MCRF.
Fuck you, you ignorant cunt fuck.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue May 11, 2021 5:55 pm

Tue May 11, 2021 5:33 pm

Might have to change my sig line......

The censorship king from out of state.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm

So, do tell. What's worse in your world, an ignorant cunt fuck, or, an ignorant ass fuck?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

G G

Post by G G » Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 pm

G G wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

TC, I think you should review Jill's dissertation and reflect on its form and style, then consider that her role as a community college teacher is to teach English. Form and style alone would result in this document failing, even at the 100-level. No joke. This woman is about as braindead as MCRF.
simmer down, son. The fact of the matter is that you don't have much going on upstairs. Of the lefties who post here, I would peg you as probably the dimmest of the bulbs, and that really is saying something.

Get a job and stop embarrassing yourself and the causes you seem to support.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 am

G G wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 pm
G G wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

simmer down, son. The fact of the matter is that you don't have much going on upstairs. Of the lefties who post here, I would peg you as probably the dimmest of the bulbs, and that really is saying something.

I have a college education and don't have to prove anything to you.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm

Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 am
G G wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 pm
G G wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

I have a college education and don't have to prove anything to you.
lol graduating college proves absolutely nothing. Look at Jill Biden! She has a doctorate, teaches English to college students, and doesn't even know how to use APA. Son, college is a racket, through and through.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm

What has been a potentially substantive conversation has devolved into yet another hopeless flame fest... sigh.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm

jadednihilist wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm
What has been a potentially substantive conversation has devolved into yet another hopeless flame fest... sigh.
Par for the course around here. On a non-inflammatory note… it would be nice if we had a real introspective look at how we get people into the workforce and encourage them to better themselves or not. Germany provides one model of a path to a career from the time one is ready to enter high school. I’m not sure how they determine who goes where but far fewer are left to dangle in the wind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic