Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Re-Opening Schedule for Michigan

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Re-Opening Schedule for Michigan

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:13 am

Now that the CDC has provided revised guidelines for how we can safely congregate, the State of Michigan has published a restrictions lifting timeline. Conservative Victims complaints in 3,2,1...

For fun, why not include your medical or science credentials when you post your complaints.
Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced a plan Thursday to lift COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan in four phases based on statewide vaccination rates.

Each phase of the "MI Vacc to Normal" plan will kick in two weeks after a certain percentage of residents over the age of 16 have received at least one dose of the vaccine. The phases are as follows:

> When 55 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, in-person work will return for office buildings and all industry sectors.
> When 60 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, capacity at sports stadiums, conference centers, banquet halls, and funeral will be raised to 25 percent. Gym capacity will be raised to 50 percent, and curfews will be removed from bars and restaurants.
> When 65 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, all indoor capacity limits will be lifted - with social distancing still required. Limits on social gatherings will also be relaxed.
> When 70 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, face mask orders will be lifted and alll limits on gatherings will be lifted. The state could maintain restrictions if case rates remain high in certain areas or if vaccine-resistant variants start spreading, which has so far not been the case in Michigan.

The 55 percent threshold could be reached in the next week to 10 days, Whitmer said at a press conference Thursday. Because phases kick in two weeks after a threshold is hit - allowing immunity to build in those who received vaccines - that means Michigan could reach phase one by the end of May. Nearly 49 percent of Michigan's population over 16, or 3.9 million residents, have now received at least one dose of the vaccine, while nearly 36 percent are completely vaccinated.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Robert Faygo

Re: Re-Opening Schedule for Michigan

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:02 pm

This is freaking awesome! Full credit where credit is due, to Whitmer and the MDHSS.

To those that are vaccine hesitant, please please please -- check with your family doc as the gov suggests. It's time for all of us to work together to turn the page on this damn pandemic. Get yourself to one of the walkup clinics that are popping up in as many places as there are dandelions on my lawn.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:05 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:13 am
Now that the CDC has provided revised guidelines for how we can safely congregate, the State of Michigan has published a restrictions lifting timeline. Conservative Victims complaints in 3,2,1...

For fun, why not include your medical or science credentials when you post your complaints.
Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced a plan Thursday to lift COVID-19 restrictions in Michigan in four phases based on statewide vaccination rates.

Each phase of the "MI Vacc to Normal" plan will kick in two weeks after a certain percentage of residents over the age of 16 have received at least one dose of the vaccine. The phases are as follows:

> When 55 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, in-person work will return for office buildings and all industry sectors.
> When 60 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, capacity at sports stadiums, conference centers, banquet halls, and funeral will be raised to 25 percent. Gym capacity will be raised to 50 percent, and curfews will be removed from bars and restaurants.
> When 65 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, all indoor capacity limits will be lifted - with social distancing still required. Limits on social gatherings will also be relaxed.
> When 70 percent of Michiganders are vaccinated, face mask orders will be lifted and alll limits on gatherings will be lifted. The state could maintain restrictions if case rates remain high in certain areas or if vaccine-resistant variants start spreading, which has so far not been the case in Michigan.

The 55 percent threshold could be reached in the next week to 10 days, Whitmer said at a press conference Thursday. Because phases kick in two weeks after a threshold is hit - allowing immunity to build in those who received vaccines - that means Michigan could reach phase one by the end of May. Nearly 49 percent of Michigan's population over 16, or 3.9 million residents, have now received at least one dose of the vaccine, while nearly 36 percent are completely vaccinated.
So does that mean Robert Gordon who was director of health for the state of Michigan without any medical and science was completely wrong with all the restrictions that he help put in place? 🤔

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Finally, some objective benchmarks! I'm ecstatic that step 1 is ending required remote work. This is incentivizing personal responsibilities, which should be applauded by conservatives. I'm very happy with this development.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm

The frustrating thing about science... It takes a bit of time to learn enough to make recommendations. That is what I've been saying since last summer.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm
The frustrating thing about science... It takes a bit of time to learn enough to make recommendations. That is what I've been saying since last summer.
The response in Michigan has not been science-based, with the exception of realizing that a shutdown would have been counterproductive. The new benchmark plan isn't science-based either; it is an incomplete math problem that is relying on peer pressure to solve. The problem is incomplete, because there are people that have antibodies since they've recovered from covid. The real metric should be 70% antibodies. We should have a fairly accurate estimate for that number.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:47 pm

The philosophical argument against these benchmarks is simply that a 95% effective vaccine is readily available to ANYONE who wants it, and as such, that ALL restrictions should be lifted IMMEDIATELY. At this point, everyone can take responsibility for his/her own actions.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:38 pm
The problem is incomplete, because there are people that have antibodies since they've recovered from covid. The real metric should be 70% antibodies. We should have a fairly accurate estimate for that number.
By the time we reach 70 percent vaccination (if ever), the remaining 30 percent will probably consist of at least half of people who have antibodies, making the combined herd immunity benchmark 85 percent. While this probably isn't too far off from where actual herd immunity works (the estimates I've seen for Covid specifically are 75 to 80 percent), again, I'm back to my argument that if you want to be protected, get vaccinated. If you want to take a chance, that's up to you too. Unvaccinated people pose very little risk to vaccinated people statistically speaking. The 95% efficacy was calculated from real-world conditions during the vaccine trials last summer and fall when far more people lacked any kind of immunity, and as such, compared to that control group, the real-world efficacy of the vaccine today should theoretically be higher - closer to 97 or 98 percent.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Another point I'd make - I know I read somewhere that something like 82 percent of all Michigan adults over the age of 65 have at least one vaccine shot. That's BY FAR the most vulnerable group. Who cares if people age 18-35 get vaccinated? Their risk of dying even if getting Covid is minuscule.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:04 pm

This "vacc to normal" chart assumes that 70% vaccinated will be enough for us to live safely with this virus. This does not account for changes with the variants that could pose a threat to the public, including those previously infected. Not to mention, the antibodies for COVID only last 6 months on average. Whitmer and the MDHHS is taking a H*** gamble, and let's hope they win.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 pm

It's more like 74% of the 65+ group, but yeah ... your point is solid.

Only caveat is that during our 3rd wave it's been the 40-65 year olds that have been filling the hospital beds and on vents. Granted deaths haven't followed like they did in the first wave (progress!) but giving the health care system a chance to collect its collective breath for a few weeks is okay by me.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 pm

MCRF, serious comment.

I honestly think you have some COVID induced PTSD. It might be helpful for your long term wellbeing to bring this up with someone that can give you some coping tools to overcome your COVID fears.

I apologize for my previous harsh comments directed at you. Everyone has handled this thing differently and I'm legit concerned at how much this has impacted you.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm
Another point I'd make - I know I read somewhere that something like 82 percent of all Michigan adults over the age of 65 have at least one vaccine shot. That's BY FAR the most vulnerable group. Who cares if people age 18-35 get vaccinated? Their risk of dying even if getting Covid is minuscule.
Younger people dominated this latest wave....
Older residents have had the highest mortality rates by far. Michiganders in their 30s are seeing 10 deaths per 100,000, compared to 208 per 100,000 for people in their 60s, and 1,800 deaths per 100,000 among those 80 and older.

Because younger patients generally have fewer underlying conditions than older patients, their hospital stays tend to be shorter and they are less likely to need extreme life-saving measures, hospital officials told Bridge.

As a result, there appear to be fewer deaths through the first month of the current surge, which began in mid-February. Between Feb. 18 and March 23, the state reported 574 COVID-19-related deaths, that’s nearly 20 percent fewer than the 717 deaths reported over the same number of days at the beginning of the fall surge.

That comparison should serve as only a rough estimate, however, given that the total number of deaths in the more recent period can change as more information is released on individual cases.

Death levels are not the only way to gauge the seriousness of Michigan’s COVID hospitalizations.

The rate that COVID-19 patients are placed in intensive care units has fallen, from a high of nearly 25 percent during the peak of the fall surge to roughly 20 percent in the past two weeks. Hospitals are also putting fewer patients on ventilators, a treatment reserved for the hardest hit patients.

“Younger people tend to have less comorbid medical problems,” said Dr. Matthew Denenberg, vice president of medical affairs at Grand Rapids-based Spectrum Health. “They just need a little support and they either can go home, or they don't get particularly sick.”

Patients care has changed, too, in the year since the pandemic hit as doctors have learned to better treat COVID-19 without ventilators, Nefcy said.

“They’re certainly sick enough to be hospitalized, and often sick enough to be in the ICU,” Nefcy said of younger patients. “Many of them have an oxygen requirement, but few of them are intubated.”

She and others were clear: Some patients do still get extremely sick. And some die.

But the toll would be far higher without the three approved vaccines.
The Bridge

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:20 pm
MCRF, serious comment.

I honestly think you have some COVID induced PTSD. It might be helpful for your long term wellbeing to bring this up with someone that can give you some coping tools to overcome your COVID fears.

I apologize for my previous harsh comments directed at you. Everyone has handled this thing differently and I'm legit concerned at how much this has impacted you.
He's not the only one. Today I saw somebody in a long line at a Burger King drive-thru, window up, alone (as best I could tell), mask on. When I see people alone in their vehicles driving around with masks, I don't know whether to quietly to myself make fun of their ignorance or to feel sorry for them. The media and the government has indeed caused a sort of PTSD in a lot of people.

Me personally, I stressed out over this for the first few months (like, March, April, and May of 2020), but sometime in May or June, I accepted that whatever is going to happen is going to happen, and from that point I went on living my life, accepting that if I get Covid, I'll just deal with it. I'll tell you what - that attitude sure makes my life so much less stressful. Who needs the stress of worrying about whether they might die tomorrow? And it also really helps that the people in my inner circle have the same attitude.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:25 pm
Michiganders in their 30s are seeing 10 deaths per 100,000...
So 1 in 10,000? I'll take my chances. I don't completely re-arrange my life for the other 10 things that are MORE likely to kill me than Covid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic