Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Joe Biden approval rating discrepencies

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
bmw

Joe Biden approval rating discrepencies

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 am

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7320.html

How do you have one poll with him at -2 and another at +23? That is an insane discrepancy of 25 points.

Looking back at the Trump Presidency, Politico had him at -29 in late January while Rasmussen had him at +3. That's 32 points of difference.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6179.html

That means when comparing Politico to Rasmussen, Rasmussen has Trump +5 compared to Biden while Politico has it -52, or a 57-point difference.

In reality, I think Trump was probably -7 or so in late January while Biden is probably +7 or so today, thus making Rasmussen an outlier and Politico an outright joke.

Rate This

Re: Joe Biden approval rating discrepencies

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:32 am
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7320.html

How do you have one poll with him at -2 and another at +23? That is an insane discrepancy of 25 points.

Looking back at the Trump Presidency, Politico had him at -29 in late January while Rasmussen had him at +3. That's 32 points of difference.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6179.html

That means when comparing Politico to Rasmussen, Rasmussen has Trump +5 compared to Biden while Politico has it -52, or a 57-point difference.

In reality, I think Trump was probably -7 or so in late January while Biden is probably +7 or so today, thus making Rasmussen an outlier and Politico an outright joke.
It’s not an exact science. Rasmussen is the only poll that saved Trump from being double digits down and is the only one preventing Biden from being more like plus 15-17.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am

There's no way Biden is +16 right now - no way. A recent CNN poll had him at +7 which I think is probably pretty accurate. To be at +16 he'd have to have significant support among Republicans which I just don't see being the case.

Anyways, my point was that these polls usually claim margin of error around 5 points give-or-take, and in both instances, these polls are seemingly WAY outside of those error bounds. In theory the polls should all be within 10 points of each other, but they're not, and 57 points relative to each other under difference Presidencies should raise serious questions about the methods used by both of these organizations.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:52 am

I pretty much agree with beemer. While Rasmussen appears to be the outlier here, something is wrong with polling methodology these days. They simply have not shown to be very accurate. Either people are lying to them, they are not getting a proper cross-section of viewpoints, the data is being misinterpreted, etc., something is clearly flawed.

The censorship king from out of state.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:15 am

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am
There's no way Biden is +16 right now - no way. A recent CNN poll had him at +7 which I think is probably pretty accurate. To be at +16 he'd have to have significant support among Republicans which I just don't see being the case.

Anyways, my point was that these polls usually claim margin of error around 5 points give-or-take, and in both instances, these polls are seemingly WAY outside of those error bounds. In theory the polls should all be within 10 points of each other, but they're not, and 57 points relative to each other under difference Presidencies should raise serious questions about the methods used by both of these organizations.

LOL, sorry the data hurts your feelings....

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:46 am

Rasmussen has a serious Republican bias... Politico may have a serious bias the other way.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

I got a question Rate This may know:

How do they poll? Is it random phone calls? Standing in a food court at the mall with a clipboard? A little of both?
Thanks.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

How do they poll? Is it random phone calls? Standing in a food court at the mall with a clipboard? A little of both?
Thanks.
Random phone calls. The catch is that you can’t robocall cell phones (tell that to some folks!) and so they miss a lot of folks who don’t have land lines anymore. That’s among other issues including an absolutely abysmal response rate. It’s just terribly expensive to pay somebody to sit there and do it manually.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Rate This wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks.
Random phone calls. The catch is that you can’t robocall cell phones (tell that to some folks!) and so they miss a lot of folks who don’t have land lines anymore. That’s among other issues including an absolutely abysmal response rate. It’s just terribly expensive to pay somebody to sit there and do it manually.
Thank you.
In my opinion, this method of opinion retrieval would not result in an accurate poll.

I myself do not answer any unknown numbers. I haven't done that since I got caller ID years and years ago. Even before I had a cellphone, I didn't answer the landline if I didn't know the number.

I think it's fair to say everyone here on Buzzboard is above average intelligence. Does anyone on here answer unknown numbers? I'm thinking probably not. But I'm confident we can think of a few family and friends that do answer every call they receive, not knowing who is calling.

Think of the ones you know that do that. Are they a little "special"?. Are they in the low end of the spectrum? That is a fair assessment of the folks I know that just can't let their phone go to voicemail. They're the ones that don't have quite as much as most. They're the ones where every conversation seems to be a bit superficial. They lack depth in their life.

These are the ones the pollsters are catching on the phone.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm

Yep, they call landlines which skews older and more Republican. So, if anything, Biden's numbers are even better.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:11 pm

It also depends on who is doing the polling. Liberal group pollings would have high Biden and low Trump ratings, and conservative group pollings would have low Biden and high Trump ratings. It depends on the polls.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 pm

The secret recipe in polling are the assumptions made in how to extrapolate a random sample of 400ish people to approximately 100 million actual voters. Raw polling numbers are never released. When you are polled, your answers are weighted based off the demographic information you provided; which is one major potential source of error. The other source of error is sampling methods. Polls conducted by landlines generally skew older, whereas online polls may skew younger or higher income; finding the right balance is tricky.

What is completely fair to say is that most polling firms are struggling with these assumptions in a Trump/Post-Trump era.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 05, 2021 9:37 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm
Yep, they call landlines which skews older and more Republican. So, if anything, Biden's numbers are even better.
Except that election polls vastly overrated democrats. Nice try...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:13 pm

I think it's fair to say everyone here on Buzzboard is above average intelligence.

zzand

Post by zzand » Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 am

I get robocalls on my cell all damn day long

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic